Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Thanks G3!

by on ‎05-16-2017 06:43 AM

Long story short, my G3 deterred a burglar from entering my house last Saturday morning a little before 4:00 a.m. The camera recorded the guy strolling down my driveway. He took the garage door opener out of my vehicle and looked like he was about to come in when he saw the G3. He immediately covered his face and then tried to rip the camera off the wall. In so doing he torqued the camera straight down over his face. Realizing he was screwed, he then left, without entering the premises. More G3s went up Saturday.

Thanks Ubiquiti for such a great, sturdy product! Here's a picture of the prowler: 

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 7.18.51 AM.png

Comments
by
on ‎05-16-2017 06:50 AM

That's the face of a man who knows he messed up

by
on ‎05-16-2017 07:13 AM

awww, I wanna see the video! post video up. 

=)

by
on ‎05-16-2017 07:15 AM

I'd like to see the video too.  How did the camera hold up to him trying to take it down?  How was it mounted?

by
on ‎05-16-2017 07:56 AM

Curious about that blue box in the corner?  Was it using 3rd party software to record?

by
on ‎05-16-2017 08:13 AM

I'm hosting Ubiquiti's NVR software on a Ubuntu 14.04 VM on an old r710 server. The blue box is just an artifact of the screencap I took from the video.

The camera is mounted above the garage door via the G3's standard mounting base and self-tapping screws. He couldn't get the camera off the wall although he torqued on it hard enough to overcome the locked position of the camera and swiveled it down.  Luckily the camera was not damaged and is still in use. 

If I have time later today I'll post one of the video clips. 

by
on ‎05-16-2017 04:44 PM

I feel like you should go to the cops and be like "hey this guy was trying to sneak into my house". Thats proof enough to get that loser. He was stupid enough to try and break into your car but then try to hide himself...thats another level of stupid. Glad to see the camera held up to all that it did! 

by
on ‎05-16-2017 05:49 PM

My neighborhood has had a rash of people getting their cars "broken" into at night.  I use quotation marks because they only steal from people who don't lock the car doors...  They hit at least 6 cars in one night of that I know about.  The police will take a report, but that's about as far as they will take it because the door was left unlocked.  The insurance companies don't want to pay a claim either.

I was wondering how long until one of them got brave here and used somebodies garage door opener in one of those unlocked cars.  Most people don't lock the door inside the garage leading into the house.  Sounds like that's what they were trying to do to you.  I'm glad for you that this guy was spooked.

by
on ‎05-17-2017 06:28 PM

Looks like a good spot for th IR add on, they work great!

by
on ‎05-20-2017 05:32 AM

I am impressed with the exposure control on the G3 in that shot.  The gen2 UVC would have overexposed the IR and made facial recognition impossible.

by
on ‎05-20-2017 11:26 AM

Video?