04/25/2018
UVC G3 Dome - Box Mounting
Reason for Installation
A friend replaced the old covered porch on his building with a fabric awning. This eliminated the ceiling surface to which a pair of UVC-G3-Dome cameras had been mounted, and presented a challenge as to how those cameras could be re-used beneath the awning. We needed to change to wall mounting, but at a position 20" below any practical point of cable entry.
Used Products
×2
Description

1 - Building.jpgCameras below awning

When mounting cameras where the cable is to be concealed, you must either have access directly behind the camera mounting location, or the camera can be mounted on a box/conduit solution.  Box mounting is easy enough for the standard G3, but the G3-Dome seems trickier.  It's not.

I've seen many inquiries about how to box-mount the G3-Dome.  My own quest for 3rd party "camera mounting boxes", whether generic or proprietary, returned ugly results on paper.  However, it very conveniently turns out that the reverse-beveled mounting plate of the G3-Dome provides enough screw-head clearance to mount directly on top of a standard U.S. 2-gang plastic box cover.  Perhaps this was UBNT's intention.

2 - Box Cover.jpgPlastic Box Cover Drilled for G3-Dome

3 - Plate.jpgG3-Dome Mounting Plate Attached

4 - Complete.jpgCompleted installation

5 - Components.jpgStandard USA Components
If I had it to do over, I would insert small plastic washers between the box cover and camera plate to "float" the plate and help ensure positive locking with the camera.  In this case I just squirted a glob of silicone around the Dome locking tabs to seal the deal.

UVC G3 Dome - Box Mounting

by on ‎04-25-2018 12:01 AM

1 - Building.jpgCameras below awning

When mounting cameras where the cable is to be concealed, you must either have access directly behind the camera mounting location, or the camera can be mounted on a box/conduit solution.  Box mounting is easy enough for the standard G3, but the G3-Dome seems trickier.  It's not.

I've seen many inquiries about how to box-mount the G3-Dome.  My own quest for 3rd party "camera mounting boxes", whether generic or proprietary, returned ugly results on paper.  However, it very conveniently turns out that the reverse-beveled mounting plate of the G3-Dome provides enough screw-head clearance to mount directly on top of a standard U.S. 2-gang plastic box cover.  Perhaps this was UBNT's intention.

2 - Box Cover.jpgPlastic Box Cover Drilled for G3-Dome

3 - Plate.jpgG3-Dome Mounting Plate Attached

4 - Complete.jpgCompleted installation

5 - Components.jpgStandard USA Components
If I had it to do over, I would insert small plastic washers between the box cover and camera plate to "float" the plate and help ensure positive locking with the camera.  In this case I just squirted a glob of silicone around the Dome locking tabs to seal the deal.

{"location":{"title":"Tupelo, MS, USA","placeId":"ChIJoV_eKS5Mh4gRT509-0DM8ec"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3-dome","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"A friend replaced the old covered porch on his building with a fabric awning. This eliminated the ceiling surface to which a pair of UVC-G3-Dome cameras had been mounted, and presented a challenge as to how those cameras could be re-used beneath the awning. We needed to change to wall mounting, but at a position 20\" below any practical point of cable entry.","mainImage":"154159i1E014063FFA03695"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-27-2018 10:57 AM

Nice, looks good and clean.  Was the 20" higher position just not a good angle though for mounting the camera directly on the wall where the cable penetration was?

by
on ‎04-27-2018 04:44 PM

@manningisking, that's right, we tested the higher location and it was too severe of a downward view angle.  We needed a more horizontal look beneath the awning and into the street.

This is by no means vandal proof or even beyond a long reach (given the conveniently located benches), but at least we'll see what happens to them just before they meet any demise!