07/28/2018
Unifi Video catches bovine attack
Used Products
×1
Description

When a cow has a calf, very rarely it can go berserk and turn on its own calf. We have Unifi-Video setup in this calving pen and it caught such an attack. Luckily the farmer was on site to save the calf. Had he been a minute later, the calf would not have survived. With Unifi-Video streaming in the background at the farm, the relatives quickly heard the Jurassic World type noises and signaled for backup... luckily it was not needed.

The calf ended up being ok in the end.

Here are 4 random pictures of some installs i've done so I meet the 4 picture quota to post Man Happy 

20170114_135428.jpg

20170114_135625.jpg

20170114_163106.jpg

original.jpg

Unifi Video catches bovine attack

by on ‎07-28-2018 10:50 AM

When a cow has a calf, very rarely it can go berserk and turn on its own calf. We have Unifi-Video setup in this calving pen and it caught such an attack. Luckily the farmer was on site to save the calf. Had he been a minute later, the calf would not have survived. With Unifi-Video streaming in the background at the farm, the relatives quickly heard the Jurassic World type noises and signaled for backup... luckily it was not needed.

The calf ended up being ok in the end.

Here are 4 random pictures of some installs i've done so I meet the 4 picture quota to post Man Happy 

20170114_135428.jpg

20170114_135625.jpg

20170114_163106.jpg

original.jpg

{"location":{"title":"United States","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"167643iAA6A4E4BBFEBC90B"}

Comments
by
on ‎08-02-2018 07:38 PM

wow

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎08-08-2018 12:56 PM

Wow! Glad the system could help prevent something bad happening.

by
on ‎08-10-2018 10:10 AM

Why the hell would she do that?

by
on ‎08-17-2018 11:34 PM

Ive never seen one being quite so agressive.

Althought ive been on the receiving end of similar from an Angus.

Its an outlier for sure, Holsteins are generally cool.

Judging by her size and udder im going to guess this was her first calf.

She was flush with hormones and stressed from labor, im sure it at least didnt help her attitude.

Also cool install !!!! Thumbsup

by
on ‎08-27-2018 06:07 AM

Well....of all things I never expected to post on ubnt.com, it's my mother's story from the 1940s of being out for a horseback ride when a cow started chasing her down.  Not a bull, but a cow.  She taught me a lot of things--she was my mom, after all--but somehow whenever we sit around and reminisce, her warning about "how fast cows can really run" is what comes to mind. 

She said the horse was barely (and fortunately) faster than the enraged cow.   Good to know. 

by
on ‎08-27-2018 10:02 AM

Great post!

Dairy cows...geesh...I agree with @J-K holstien cows are generally cool with people, because they have so much interaction.  A cow that just calved though, oof you just never know.  On a side note, more people need to see stuff like this, it may give them some appreciation of what farmers go through.  That man literally risked his life for a calf that would likely sell for less than US $100 (if it is a bull calf), but that is the type of stuff farmers do everyday.  So thank a farmer, no matter which corner in the world you hail from.

by
on ‎09-09-2018 11:52 PM

Farmer is a champ!

by
on ‎09-20-2018 05:56 AM

+1 for the farmer...that was a LARGE cow and they have awesome power to be sure.  We have holsteins, and we generally only keep them long enough to get good and fat for the processor but our last one went at around 1400 lbs, he was a solid steer.  Always curious, they can hurt you quickly even without meaning too, and a mad cow is flat out scary.

My father in law has told me a story about a cow named Daisy they had years ago, who was kept around for calving so they'd had her a long time.  He was in the field one day doing chores, and his wife and children were on the other side of the fence and happened to be watching when Daisy just walked up behind him, put her head under his bottom, and just flipped him up into the air.  He said he went about 3 feet into the air and landed flat on his backside.  My father in law was and still is a big man...6' and on the upside of 250 lbs.

Tossing him was nothing for that cow; I'm sure it was just a playful gesture by her but shows you how quickly you can get hurt.  Cool video!

by
on ‎11-10-2018 08:24 PM

We have a 14 years old mare that would have killed a colt (not her's) if she had gotten the chance.  She produced many offspring in her lifetime, so she was used to little ones.  We were asked to keep a colt at our place after it had been removed from a farm.  He was skin and bones when we got him.  For whatever reason, our mare did everything she could to get to the colt and her ears were pinned back.  So yeah, mom's can turn on little ones.