05/03/2018
Unifi Video for EMS Company Surveillance
Reason for Installation
Cameras cover the perimeter and inside areas of the warehouse. We are using: Unifi NVR with 4TB attached external storage 1xUniFi Switch 48 POE-500W 2x24-port Unifi PoE-250W switches 1xUniFi AP-AC-Mesh
Used Products
×1
×16
×15
×2
Description

When I started here over a year ago, all of this company's surveillance equipment was about 15 years old. All B&W Panasonic equipment and it was failing hard. So having been exposed to UBNT stuff many years before, I suggested we go that route.

33 Cameras later, we think we are just about satisfied with the coverage we're getting, and my bosses are ecstatic about the image quality. I've had a great experience with the NVR controller software so far, and this latest release feels like the Timeline viewer scrubs much more smoothly.

We're very pleased with the system's performance, except for one of the spots where we had to use a Micro. That is to say, we're very happy with the result of what we had to do, but not happy with how we had to do it. We have a legacy HID card reader on a pedestal for entry into our operations back gate. On that panel was a spot for a tamperproof and weatherproof dome with a camera inside. To make matters worse, the distance for a wire run was too great. Then I got the idea to use a tamperproof and weatherproof universal dome cover and just throw a camera behind it. We figured we'd try the Micro just to see if it would work and thankfully, it works like a charm.

IMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

blerb.jpg

adsfea.jpg

sw.jpg

sw2.jpg

disp_LI (2).jpg

Our dispatch center has a 60" TV for viewing a Liveview page of 4 cameras that require 24hr monitoring by law. We mounted an Asus Chromebit to the back of the TV and it handles the Liveview effortlessly.

As for Micro at the gate, here is the signal strength we're getting from it.gate.PNG

Not great, but 19 Mbps is more than enough throughput for our recording. 

Here are some screenshots.Dispatch South - May 03 '18 02_06_24 PM.jpg

Fuel Pump - May 03 '18 11_35_04 AM.jpg

East Parking - May 03 '18 02_06_39 PM.jpg

I would love it if UBNT released a tamperproof dome style though, and maybe something for the doorbell akin to a ring. Just ideas, I love this equipment! Thanks for checkin out my setup and thank you UBNT!

Unifi Video for EMS Company Surveillance

by ‎05-03-2018 01:19 PM - edited ‎05-03-2018 01:40 PM

When I started here over a year ago, all of this company's surveillance equipment was about 15 years old. All B&W Panasonic equipment and it was failing hard. So having been exposed to UBNT stuff many years before, I suggested we go that route.

33 Cameras later, we think we are just about satisfied with the coverage we're getting, and my bosses are ecstatic about the image quality. I've had a great experience with the NVR controller software so far, and this latest release feels like the Timeline viewer scrubs much more smoothly.

We're very pleased with the system's performance, except for one of the spots where we had to use a Micro. That is to say, we're very happy with the result of what we had to do, but not happy with how we had to do it. We have a legacy HID card reader on a pedestal for entry into our operations back gate. On that panel was a spot for a tamperproof and weatherproof dome with a camera inside. To make matters worse, the distance for a wire run was too great. Then I got the idea to use a tamperproof and weatherproof universal dome cover and just throw a camera behind it. We figured we'd try the Micro just to see if it would work and thankfully, it works like a charm.

IMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

blerb.jpg

adsfea.jpg

sw.jpg

sw2.jpg

disp_LI (2).jpg

Our dispatch center has a 60" TV for viewing a Liveview page of 4 cameras that require 24hr monitoring by law. We mounted an Asus Chromebit to the back of the TV and it handles the Liveview effortlessly.

As for Micro at the gate, here is the signal strength we're getting from it.gate.PNG

Not great, but 19 Mbps is more than enough throughput for our recording. 

Here are some screenshots.Dispatch South - May 03 '18 02_06_24 PM.jpg

Fuel Pump - May 03 '18 11_35_04 AM.jpg

East Parking - May 03 '18 02_06_39 PM.jpg

I would love it if UBNT released a tamperproof dome style though, and maybe something for the doorbell akin to a ring. Just ideas, I love this equipment! Thanks for checkin out my setup and thank you UBNT!

{"location":{"title":"Salt Lake City, UT, USA","placeId":"ChIJ7THRiJQ9UocRyjFNSKC3U1s"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-nvr","count":1},{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3","count":16},{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3-dome","count":15},{"id":"unifi-video-g3-micro","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Cameras cover the perimeter and inside areas of the warehouse. We are using:\n\nUnifi NVR with 4TB attached external storage\n1xUniFi Switch 48 POE-500W\n2x24-port Unifi PoE-250W switches\n1xUniFi AP-AC-Mesh\n\n","mainImage":"155449iE0650A520E77E1FD"}

Comments
by
on ‎05-03-2018 09:16 PM

Great idea to use an Axis cover for the Micro camera! That seems to fit, just. 

by
on ‎05-08-2018 08:59 AM

I don't own a G3-Micro so not sure how much heat they generate but the older gen2 would overheat in such a confined space.  Hopefully there is some form of venting on the backside and it does not get exposed to direct sunlight.

Is the IR disabled on it to not reflect back into the lens?  Keeping the IR off probably helps with the heat.

by
‎05-08-2018 12:20 PM - edited ‎05-08-2018 12:21 PM

@LLigetfa Good point, hadn't worried too much about the heat inside the enclosure. When I installed it, the weather was quite chilly, with lows hitting about 20°F. I was worried that the camera wouldn't survive the ice storms we got, but it did very well. Now that the summer months are here, I'd better take another look at the enclosure and ensure I'm not running too hot.

I do have the IR turned off because unfortunately, the reflection off of the dome can be pretty bad. The lighting in the area proved adequate for the camera though, so I haven't put too much thought into an external IR emitter.

Thanks for the input!

by
on ‎05-27-2018 06:37 AM

31 cameras working on simple UNifi Video Camera NVR ? 

Is that good enough to handle 31 cameras. are you recording 31 cameras or you just motion recording ? for you guys have many days you can get out of that 1-2 day recording 500gb or 1TB drive right ? @SneaksMcGurk

I generally Install Dell Server with Raid 4*8TB Drives so customer can see days of days footage.  Great pro installation. Good Job man. 

by
on ‎05-27-2018 10:15 AM

My go-to model for NVR these days is just to jam a good amount of RAM in a machine so the ram-cache can do it's job.  I have 1 site that now has 35 G3 cameras on a single WD Black 8TB drive.   I was having buffering issues at 4GB RAM as the cache filled but after bumping it to 8GB it hums along nicely.  The work ubnt has done in the last few versions of the NVR's IO has really paid off.

I love that axis dome on there, irony lol.

What we really need is an official dome like this....

by
on ‎05-29-2018 12:53 AM

I have a question,

how many camera can you show simultanously ?

i have a customer request on camera installation but he need to see about 30 Camera in the same times on a huge 4k screen.

is it possible with the Asus Chromebit ?
it's an application who use the RTSP ? or something else ?

by
on ‎05-29-2018 05:30 AM

30 streams? Not on a chrome bit, not even close.

I don’t know if a program to handle that many rtsp streams like that.

by
on ‎05-29-2018 08:35 AM

If you want 4k tv with 30 streams you need 700 1000$ gaming gear with good grafic card. Even regular computer with i3 and Intel tragic can't handle simple 1080p 2 monitors 

by
on ‎05-29-2018 08:49 AM

uh, ignore what computerpathways says, that's just completely false.   A 6th gen i3 with HD 530 graphics can decode 9x 1080p15fps streams in chrome from UFV flawlessly ( so says my i3 w/ 530 doing this right in front of me )

A raspberry pi 3 can decode 4x 1080p streams, 9x 576p, and 16x 360p streams. 

As if that were even an issue.  A 4k monitor is only 4x 1080p, if you want 30 streams up then those streams will be the 'low' stream at 360p.

by
on ‎05-29-2018 08:55 AM

Rebel I said 2 monitors you have 1. Put to monitors see what happens 4k resolution big tv. You kidding me 30 cameras