Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

Controller 5.6.40 with Cloud Key gen 2 plus

Hi,

In my workplace, we have old APs (AP-AC v2, the square shapre) so the controller is stuck with 5.6.40.

I'm considering to add surveillence cameras, and G3 cameras with Cloud Key gen 2 plus is a good start for me.

Now I wonder if I need to update the controller to be able to accommodate G3 cameras and cloud key.

Is video using different controller software?

If not and I had to install latest controller, can I have both old and new controller software version?

Or can I somehow upgrade to latest software and still somehow manage old discontinued access points?

I have USG (3P) and USW 48 POE-500W. The firmware is up to date but controller is remained 5.6.40 LTS.

I have put budget to upgrade access points, but not happening later the year.

Any advice is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 113
Solutions: 46

Re: Controller 5.6.40 with Cloud Key gen 2 plus

@dpointhugh You could manually install that version of UniFi manually however, the Cloudkey Plus firmware bundles the UniFi-SDN build, so if your version is lower than the bundled version and you update firmware, your UniFi SDN controller will be updated as well.

In the case of OS/Firmware updates, you would have to take a backup and downgrade to that version again after the firmware upgrade.

In regard to video though, the CK+ runs UniFi-Protect, which is a separate/new network video recording software. It does not operate on the same dependencies as UniFi Network/SDN, so you should have no conflicts between the two.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 113
Solutions: 46

@dpointhugh You could manually install that version of UniFi manually however, the Cloudkey Plus firmware bundles the UniFi-SDN build, so if your version is lower than the bundled version and you update firmware, your UniFi SDN controller will be updated as well.

In the case of OS/Firmware updates, you would have to take a backup and downgrade to that version again after the firmware upgrade.

In regard to video though, the CK+ runs UniFi-Protect, which is a separate/new network video recording software. It does not operate on the same dependencies as UniFi Network/SDN, so you should have no conflicts between the two.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

Understood right after I plugged in the Cloud Key.

Also the NVR software can be installed on any machine act as NVR.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10752
Solutions: 1669

@dpointhugh wrote:

Also the NVR software can be installed on any machine act as NVR.

Not *any* machine, only one that has a supporting OS and CPU.  For example, the CPU in the Cloud Key gen 2 plus is not one of them.  I assume by NVR software you mean UniFi Video.

I'm getting to know better now.

So my understanding is that CK2+ has 'UniFi Protect' whereas the software that we can install on supporting OS/CPU is 'UniFi Video' and CK2+ is not able to install 'Video' due to CPU. 

I'm not able to find what are the Video supporting OS/CPU. Mind if you can point me the link where they are? And wonder if UniFi Protect can be installed on any machine.

Thanks,

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10752
Solutions: 1669

@dpointhugh wrote:

I'm not able to find what are the Video supporting OS/CPU. Mind if you can point me the link where they are? And wonder if UniFi Protect can be installed on any machine.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video-Blog/UniFi-Video-3-10-2-Release/ba-p/2736676

UniFi Protect is currently available only on the UCK-G2-Plus and a private beta is available for the UAS-XG but no DIY downloads.  Current stance Ubiquiti has taken is that Protect will only be available on Ubiquiti hardware.