Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Dual interface Unifi Video setup - Is it possible?

Hello, 

Just wondering to control traffic if a setup like this is possible. I'm mostly interested if the traffic in the unifi video can be split across 2 interfaces? I know the separation of the switches is only for graphical purposes as it could be a single switch with VLAN, but I'm more interested in the actual server side configuration of 2 interfaces. Is it possible at all?

Thanks!

Picture1.png

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10268
Solutions: 1578

Re: Dual interface Unifi Video setup - Is it possible?

UFV not not provide control over the ethernet ports.  You would need to do that at the OS level.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Emerging Member

Thanks @LLigetfa

So basically it would be a matter of manually routing at the OS level, ip route or something to that effect.

Based on the official port list found in https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/217875218-UniFi-Video-Ports-Used, would it be just a matter of segregating to the interfaces the required ports. Now the question is what about 7443 and 7080 which are the standard management ports? Do the cameras require them for normal traffic operation? I see the inbound camera streams to the controller is 6666 which is separate from the 7445/7446/7447 used between the NTR and clients. 

So basically a camera to NRV connection would be happy with 6666, 7004 and 7442? All the other ports could be routed to the other interface?

Ancient Member

That document specifies what two endpoints use what ports.  Don't overlook 7442 and also the ports to/from the cloud portal are not listed.

My Topics
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Emerging Member

Understood... Any documented Cloud Ports anywhere? 

I have an old NVR installation and might spend sometime this weekend to try and make this work... I'll post the results...

Thanks!!

Ancient Member

ISTR @UBNT-Cody posting them recently.

My Topics
Kudos: 86
Solutions: 5

@giannifp - the diagram you created will work just fine on a dual nic NVR with no special configuration of the NVR software or the OS.  The NVR software listens on all of the configured Ethernet interfaces for either/both camera and viewer connections.

I am currently using a setup like you described (but with vlans).  The only issue appears to be with the statistics that the NVR software reports for network usage.  It seems to only report on one interface.

Kudos: 1

@giannifp Just wondering how you made out on this. I've been wanting to do a set up like what you've shown. It would be nice to see what lessons you learned along the way. Thanks!

@hyyram - what would you like to know.  

I have been running with a dual NIC (actually quad NIC but only using two) NVR for about a year.  Other than the issue with the network usage stats reported by the NVR software being only for one NIC I have had no issues.

I just installed the NVR software and everything worked as expected.

Ancient Member

AFAIK there is nothing exposed in UFV UI to control what is bound to which NIC, if the intent is to not have a particular service available on a particular NIC.

My Topics

Thanks for the replies. At the moment, I don't know what I don't know. Just wondering what issues anyone has had with this type of setup and/or any caveat's there might be. I'm planning to be running this on a shared Ubuntu server rather than a dedicated NVR. I'd like to setup the cameras so that they are not on the same wire as any other server functions. All other server functions are very low usage (management stuff) so I'm not worried about over loading it.

I've got a few other things on my list that I have to check off first, but I'll give it a go when I can. Thanks again.

Emerging Member

@hyyram Sorry, I didn't have time to play with the iptables and routing to force them to separate interfaces, have a baby on the way and those preparations used up all the free time.

I did find the option @LLigetfa mentions to be working and played around with that. 

My main concern was bandwidth, but with the numbers of cameras I have did not see a problem. One option is just to load 10GE cards on the server.

Kudos: 430

How many cameras are you using? 

@majerus1223 Between 12 to 15 cameras. And why would that matter?

Kudos: 430

I ment to ask the original poster, eitherway your will most likley not max out a single 1g nic with 12 - 15 cameras. 

"my main concern was bandwidth, but with the numbers of cameras I have did not see a problem. One option is just to load 10GE cards on the server."

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/General-network-design-and-bandwidth-requirements-question...

Emerging Member

True, it's well under the 1GE limit of one nic, but how will that scale adding some displays feeding about 4 feeds per display and users accessing from computers and/or mobile platforms. 

I guess you could always lower the bitrate of the feeds, which could be a problem depending on the playback platform used. 

This does not take into account if you would like to backup or store the videos to a fileserver...

@majerus1223 Thanks for the link... that really helped.

@LLigetfa - is correct. There is nothing in the NVR software that would limit viewers to one NIC and cameras to the other.  The NVR software listens on all NICs for cameras and/or viewers.  You will need to control the type of traffic on each NIC thru your router and/or switch.

I am using a different Vlan for cameras than for viewers.  I do not use the cloud for viewing.  I have a VPN for that.  It is not clear to me how the NVR software chooses which network interface to use when connecting to the cloud,