Kudos: 4

G3 Micro Hardware Quality (compared to the older Micro)

I feel somewhat let down by the two Micros I bought 3 years ago... while the larger, outdoor cameras have been great, the two Micros have not fared well.  One flickered somewhat and then developed night blindness (as in the IR failed) after about a year, then just went dead and stopped booting.  The other flickered all the time, false triggering recording all night long, and has been "going blind" for some time as the field of vision is going dark from the right edge, and now takes up over a quarter of the horizontal FOV.

Since I have a Unifi setup, it'd be nice to be able to continue with them.  But I'm wary, having been burned by what I feel is poor quality in the original Micros and it appears a lot of people here had problems.  I would replace them with the G3 Micro if I did.

Add to that the rather dumb design decision of the "outie" reset button on the NVR, and it seems to be that Ubiqiti may have gone through a phase of bad design decisions.  I had to put a lot of tape on the NVR to prevent accidentally hitting that "clean slate" reset button.  That should have been a paper-clip accessible "innie" button.

I'm happy with the outdoor models and aside from the reset button faux pas, I'm happy with the NVR and app/web access.  But lately I have been supplementing my camera coverage with a mobile app called Alfred, which you install on old cell phones.  

Any thoughts/experience on the G3 Micro reliability and durability?

Thanks,

Jeff

Kudos: 4

Re: G3 Micro Hardware Quality (compared to the older Micro)

Hi,

Just circling back on this- has anyone experience quality issues with the G3 Micro?  The relatively fast failure (and constant flickering) of my 2 older Micro cameras and their shortcomings while functioning has given me pause to buy another Unifi indoor camera.  (Outdoor ones are great.)

Thanks,

Jeff