Highlighted
Kudos: 1

G3 Pro Black/White in the night?

I have 6 G3 cams, they have color in the night. Now I tried the G3 Pro and it is Black/White in the night. Settings are equal. Does anybody knows why this is?

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10094
Solutions: 1563

Re: G3 Pro Black/White in the night?

AFAIK the cam deliberately switches to B&W mode when IR is turned on.  Retracting the IR cut filter changes the colours somewhat, but I personally would prefer to see colour as it can be an important bit of evidence.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

But i do not understand why the other cams are in colour. And even if I turn to manual IR it does not change... 

Kudos: 83
Solutions: 7

I agree there's no reason to switch to black and white. I suppose the thinking is that colors are distorted (sometimes greatly) in IR mode, but so are black and white. I have dark clothing that appears almost white when the camera is using IR. And I've seen object go the other way, as well. That context may need to be presented along with the camera evidence regardless of whether the video is color or B&W.

At least give me the choice for b/w or colour. 

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10094
Solutions: 1563

@Melvinv wrote:

But i do not understand why the other cams are in colour. And even if I turn to manual IR it does not change... 

The other cams use a different sensor.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.