Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 3

Live View Session Settings

I have one of the Unifi NVRs which is recording 16 Cameras in our High School.  I hung a TV in the office and put a Chromebit on it.  I plan on showing the Live View all the time with these 16 cameras.  Just playing around with it some and they all have small white circles and it seems to lag some and after a bit it just goes off of full screen and back to the main IP address.

I am guessing this is a bandwidth issue maybe over the wireless.  Anyone have any suggestions of what I should maybe set the video at to help this?  I want it to record good video still, but if I can turn them down some for viewing that is fine.

THanks for any input.

Scott

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 914
Solutions: 95

Re: Live View Session Settings

Decoding 16 simultaneous video streams can be challenging for certain computers. What type of hardware are you attempting to view the streams from?

It is not a computer, but it's a Chromebit (https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/)

I was really hoping this would work.  If not then I am not sure what my options are going to be to show the Streams up on the TVs in each office.

I was hoping maybe I could turn some settings down on the cameras to help.

Scott

Ubiquiti Employee

That explains it. The Chromebit is great, but it's still a very low-power system. It's designed to be able to decode a single video stream well, but you're asking it to decode 16 video stream simultaneously.

Make sure you've set all streams to "Low" quality. You can try reducing the bitrate and framerate of each camera to lower values, but you may just be asking too much from the Chromebit.

What is the reccomended hardware for viewing cameras? Say I want to use it for viewing 8 views at low settings wired in.

UBNT-TomS wrote:

That explains it. The Chromebit is great, but it's still a very low-power system. It's designed to be able to decode a single video stream well, but you're asking it to decode 16 video stream simultaneously.

Make sure you've set all streams to "Low" quality. You can try reducing the bitrate and framerate of each camera to lower values, but you may just be asking too much from the Chromebit.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Guys , same problem

NVR version 3.8.1
If i open 2 chrome windows in live view 16 cameras + 16 cameras i have problem with load my CPU to 100%

Config PC client
Intel core i7 7700hq
16gb DDR4
SSD
Nvidia Quadro

On 3.7.3 all works perfectly on 4 chrome windows and 16+16+16+16 cameras .

Why so hard load now ?

Lowering the res and screenrates was what I had planned.  Any suggestions on what ot put them at?  I really want to just do that once so I don't have to keep going through every camera multiple times setting that utnil I get what I want. Man Happy

When I lower that, that does not affect the recording res, right?

I'll post back with my findings when I try it out also so that others will know.

Scott

Ubiquiti Employee

lammer2 wrote:
Guys , same problem

NVR version 3.8.1
If i open 2 chrome windows in live view 16 cameras + 16 cameras i have problem with load my CPU to 100%

Config PC client
Intel core i7 7700hq
16gb DDR4
SSD
Nvidia Quadro

On 3.7.3 all works perfectly on 4 chrome windows and 16+16+16+16 cameras .

Why so hard load now ?

The video player code did not change between 3.7.3 and the latest version. Did you check to make sure none of the windows are accidentally set to higher-than-necessary quality? Can you also ensure that Chrome is actually using hardware acceleration with your latest drivers?

Ubiquiti Employee

smayo wrote:

Lowering the res and screenrates was what I had planned.  Any suggestions on what ot put them at?  I really want to just do that once so I don't have to keep going through every camera multiple times setting that utnil I get what I want. Man Happy

When I lower that, that does not affect the recording res, right?

I'll post back with my findings when I try it out also so that others will know.

Scott

You should ensure that all windows are streaming the "Low" quality, which is totally fine when you're dividing the screen into a grid of tiny viewports anyway. 15fps is usually a good compromise for security systems.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9145
Solutions: 1402

UBNT-TomS wrote:

smayo wrote:

Lowering the res and screenrates was what I had planned.  Any suggestions on what ot put them at?

You should ensure that all windows are streaming the "Low" quality, which is totally fine when you're dividing the screen into a grid of tiny viewports anyway. 15fps is usually a good compromise for security systems.

YMMV depending on the display resolution but my 16 cam views when set to auto already use CH2 (low).  I prefer auto so that when I enlarge one of the 16 cams, it switches to CH0 (high) for the best viewing.

As for FPS, 15 for record, but viewing tiny panes in a 16 matrix could be lower.  I set my low to 5 FPS and medium to 10 FPS.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

How come I don't see a "Low" setting on my cameras.  I only see "High" and "Medium".  Software version?  I think I am 3.4.0.  Probably should update that maybe.

Scott

Oh, actually it is there if I click on the Camera in the upper left hand menu and then click a camera, but if I click on Live View and click on a camera it is not.  Is that not actually the same setting?

Thanks.

Scott

Ubiquiti Employee

3.4 is a very old software version. I would suggest upgrading to the latest release (3.8.1) so our support team can be familiar with your version if you have any issues.

Highlighted

Ok.   I just hate to upgrade when it is not broke.  Too many times I have upgraded thigns and then it breaks.  I'll upgrade though and see.

I did notice some cameras have the LOW and some do not though.  That is odd since all their firmware is the same.

Scott

Any idea how long it takes for the cameras to upgrade?  I did an NVR update and it took just a couple of minutes.  Cameras have been upgrading for over an hour though now.

Scott

[ Edited ]

I am thinking this happened last time and I spent a few hours wiping the NVR and reloading and such.  This is why I don't like doing updates I guess.  These cameras are stuck on Upgrading for about 2 hours now.  This is going ot bit if I have to go through every camera again and get it managed, but I am assuming that is probalby what I am going to do.  I think something needs to be done about the Ubiquity Upgrades if it happens this often.  2 for 2 for me I guess.

Scott

EDIT:   Just did the following:

1. SSH into the NVR
  2. Execute
    service unifi-video stop
  3. Execute
    rm -rf /srv/unifi-video/db/journal/*
  4. Execute
    mongod --dbpath /usr/lib/unifi-video/data/db --repair
  5. Execute
    service unifi-video start

Now I am to the screen where it says "Update in Progress:  You will be promteped to login once the update is comptlete".  I rmemeber this from last time.  Been on this screen for 30 min to 1 hour.  Figure it is hosed.  I'll let it sit for a few hours to be sure before I move on I guess. *sighs*

I was finally able to change some permissions aorund and got the NVR to get back up.  Cameras are stlll updating.  I updated one manually by logging into the IP and putting the firmware on it from a download.  I really don't want to have to do that to every single camera on campus though.  Any other things that I might try?

Thanks.

Scott

Ancient Member

smayo wrote:

I did notice some cameras have the LOW and some do not though.

Are any of the cams the UVC-Pro?  They don't support a Low mode.

My Topics
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Ancient Member

smayo wrote:

Cameras have been upgrading for over an hour though now...

There is a known bug when coming from an old version and leapfrogging in between versions.  You will need to logon to each cam's webUI and manually upgrade the firmware.

My Topics

Yes.  I guess that is it then.  About half are the dome cameras and half are the Ubiquiti Pros.

Thanks for that input.  Now if I can just get them to update without having to login to each.  I really don't see that happening and it will probalby be faster doing that then tryin gto figure out what is going on anyways. Man Happy

Scott