Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

Re: Loud noise from cameras microphones after 3.9 update

I'm experiencing the same thing. Three G3-Domes and two G3-Bullets, all sound very similar. Sound is present in live-view and recordings.

Same here as well, one G3 bullet. I recently bought the first camera and started with 3.9.0 right away and updated to the latest firmware.

I did however look at the camera feed prior to adopting and updating, didn’t notice any noice at that time.

Going to pick up another one today, will be interesting to see if that one has the same noise.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 2

Guys, thanks a lot for the help. The cause has been identified and we're currently working on it.

Devices affected: G3  (bullet) and G3 Dome. Other models unaffected.

Targeting to release the fix in next version.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Kudos: 12

Is this for only the 3.9.0 GA Version? I've stayed on my 3.8.0 for quite some time, as new releases seem to fix some issues, but expose others, so I become hesitant to ever update. Man Happy When is the fix version slated to be released?
Kudos: 1

I have the same problem.  How can I roll back the firmware on my cameras until you roll out the fix in the next version?

from uvc-g3

audio samples attached

Attachment
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 25

Guys, please try this FW instead. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_3SAfj82x2b2mB8tMJKXbSDzMBSyAL7i/view?usp=sharing

This is a custom build FW, which needs to upgrade manually. 

Please only upgrade to G3/G3 dome managed by UFV 3.9.0

Here is the upgrade procedure:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/Upgrade-UVC-Pro-Firmware-via-ssh/td-p/1286919

Thanks!

[ Edited ]

Whoa, @UBNT-Klaymen, that was really quick. I just installed the firmware on one of my G3 (bullet) cameras, and it completely fixed the audio chirp problem! Man Very Happy

By the way, I don't know why you referred to upgrading via SSH? I was just able to do the upgrade through the camera's own web interface.

Anyways, thank you so much for the quick response and fix!!! Can you give any ETA on when this firmware will be pushed as part of a new unifi video controller software version? I don't really feel like manually upgrading all cameras if I can just wait a few days to get it automatically Man Happy

Also, out of pure technological curiosity: can you tell us anything about what turned out to be the root cause of the problem? Was some sort of DSP filter accidentally removed from the signal processing path, making normally filtered-out internal crosstalk or switching noise audible?

Awesome, @UBNT-Klaymen. Worked perfectly. I upgraded via SSH for the one UVC-G3 that the client found most annoying and ran out the door. I'll confirm all of them later, but have no reason to believe anything else is the matter. Thanks.

Kudos: 81

[ Edited ]

I'll bet you are correct @mels. It sounds like digital noise being induced into the analog microphone path. Probably a bad PCB layout design that was band-aid fixed in software and it accidentally got turned off in the latest firmware build Man Wink

Just adding another confirmation that the updated firmware did indeed resolve the issue for me.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10619
Solutions: 1654

As reported earlier, I am not hearing any loud noise on any G3 cams my 3.9.0 GA NVR.  I did not upgrade from 3.5.0 as I was on the 3.9beta fork the whole time so went from beta through RC to GA.

That said, I manually flashed the cams with the firmware @UBNT-Klaymen provided in this thread and observed no difference.

[ Edited ]

To venture a guess: maybe your 3.9 beta version already gave your cameras newer firmware (or rather other firmware that was interpreted as newer), leading to the NVR not upgrading then when you went to the 3.9 GA version, hence not giving you the problem?

Can you tell what FW version your cameras had before you put the new fixed firmware on there?

Ancient Member

According to the release notes, the camera 4.1.55 camera firmware came out with beta4 and was unchanged in beta5, beta6, and 4.9.0RC.  I have not done any file compares to see if that is indeed true.

Kudos: 4

Ok so I downloaded this custom firmware and it indeed fixed the chirping issue, however there seems to be a conflict between this firmware udpate and the new Unifi Video version 1.3.4 just released on the App store for iPhones. I made a post a few days ago about not being able to hear recordings https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/No-sound-on-recordings-3-9/td-p/2194712 and once I downloaded this firmware I was able to hear anything recorded after I updated just fine, just not anything prior. After updating the iPhone app to 1.3.4 I am now not able to hear anything at all in the live view so it seems that version 1.3.3 of the app and this custom firmware were the golden mix.  Now that I updated my phone it looks like I am going back to the chirping because I have to roll the firmware back to the official release.

Ancient Member

I tested the android 1.3.2 beta version and the audio is fine with this special firmware build.  The GA firmware was fine too.

[ Edited ]

I had many cameras to update so I threw together the following scripts so that I didn't have to log into each of them individually. When ran it will prompt for your PASSWORD, scp the firmware file to all of your cameras, and then fwupdate -m on that firmware file.

uvc_firmware_update.sh

• Update FILENAME to be whatever firmware you would like to apply
  • Update USERNAME with your username that is common to all cameras listed
  • Update IPS to be the ip addresses of all of your cameras that need updated (space delimited).
  • Make sure that all the files and the firmware are in the same directory
  • run uvc_firmware_update.sh. 
#! /bin/bash
FILENAME="uvc.s2l.v4.1.55.bin"
USERNAME="ubnt"
read -s -p "Enter Camera Password: " PASSWORD

declare -a IPS=("192.168.1.10" "192.168.1.11")
for IP in "${IPS[@]}"
do
expect -f uvc_scp_firmware.sh ${IP} $USERNAME $PASSWORD $FILENAME
expect -f uvc_ssh_update.sh ${IP} $USERNAME $PASSWORD $FILENAME
done

uvc_scp_firmware.sh

#!/usr/bin/expect -f 
set IP [lindex $argv 0];
set USERNAME [lindex $argv 1];
set PASSWORD [lindex $argv 2];
set FILENAME [lindex $argv 3];
spawn scp -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -q ${FILENAME} ${USERNAME}@${IP}:/tmp/${FILENAME};
expect "ssword:"
send "$PASSWORD\r"
interact

uvc_ssh_update.sh

#!/usr/bin/expect -f 
set IP [lindex $argv 0];
set USERNAME [lindex $argv 1];
set PASSWORD [lindex $argv 2];
set FILENAME [lindex $argv 3];
spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -q ${USERNAME}@${IP} "cd /tmp; mv ${FILENAME} fwupdate.bin; fwupdate -m;"
expect "ssword:"
send "$PASSWORD\r"
interact

[ Edited ]

I can corroborate @rrichesin's iOS app report. I just upgraded my iOS app to the newest version (1.3.4) and I can now only hear the audio in Live View from my GA version firmware cameras. The one I upgraded with the custom one linked in this thread has now gone completely silent. @UBNT-Klaymen can you look into this?

Slightly offtopic but perhaps still relevant: before doing the 3.9 upgrade to my system, I used to have horribly choppy audio. After the upgrade, audio for the cameras on the GA version is perfectly uninterrupted (if you forget about the chirping).

It'd be awesome if we could get a FW version that has no chirping and uninterrupted audio streaming to iOS devices Man Happy

Kudos: 59

New camera custom FW fixed my sound hissing issues on my G3 cams.

Shows up as UVC.v4.1.55.66.51df18c.180109.1724 on the cams web UI. 

I'm not sure what the SSH upgrade is all about. I upgraded through the cameras web UI

I hope nothing else has regressed.

UFV 3.9.0GA

Ubuntu 16.04

Android app is fine V1.3.2 build 10302000

Ubuntu dedicated UFV Server 18.04.2 LTS
Dell SFF 780 Core2duo E8400 3.0ghz 4GB ram
UFV Controller sda 160gb WD VelociRaptor
UFV storage sdb 1tb WD purple
G3 cameras 24V passive PoE.

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Klaymen wrote:

Guys, please try this FW instead. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_3SAfj82x2b2mB8tMJKXbSDzMBSyAL7i/view?usp=sharing

This is a custom build FW, which needs to upgrade manually. 

Please only upgrade to G3/G3 dome managed by UFV 3.9.0

Here is the upgrade procedure:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/Upgrade-UVC-Pro-Firmware-via-ssh/td-p/1286919

Thanks!

custom build firmware resolves noise issue.  thank you for quick response.