Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Accepted Solution

Minimum Specs for Controller?

I'm in the early planning stages of implementing a full camera system for a site. This system will require the use of many users/groups and the ability to assign viewability of certain cameras to certain users. It seems the unifi video satisifies this requirment so I figured I'd keep it in the family (the rest of the equipment onsite is unifi).

I already know the unifi NVR will not meet the perfomrance I need so if impletmented a linux box will be built to run the controller. The system will house approximatley 18 cameras recording constantly at 1080p.  There will also be around 115 users. The majroity of users will only have access to view a single camera and will not have access to playback, just the live stream. There will be jut a few on at any given time. I suspect absolute worst case scenario will be 20 people viewing simultaniously.

What specs should I be shooting in this machine to run the controller? I'll probably go ahead and throw the unifi wifi controller on there as well.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 18

Re: Minimum Specs for Controller?

If you're in the US, then absolutely. They still have stock in the store. You need to sign up for BETA access through "Account" setup. There should be a Join BETA Program tab. The specs looks very impressive, and the first round of testing has been completed which led to some minor design changes.

The only drawback I see to the UAS is it only comes with 2 TB drives (2-bay/RAID setup). Easily upgradable and suspect many people will upgrade to larger drives; however, there isn't an option to buy without the drives.

Once you sign up for BETA, you can check out the https://store.ubnt.com/collections/beta/products/unifi-application-server and browse the BETA forums.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Have you looked at the UAS? The specs are pretty impressive, but does cost a pretty penny of $1,500 for the BETA version. 

I'm not sure if that what your budget is, but you obviously want to have a beefy system to support the viewers.

[ Edited ]

I already suspected I would spend a minimum of $1,500 on a server so that's still well within budget. I have to say that I'm not familiar with the UAS. As you mentioned it appears to be a beta product only so is that really a viable solution? Putting a beta product into production doesn't really entice me too much but maybe it's already proven to be solid? That aside, can I expect to realisticly get acces to the product?

If you're in the US, then absolutely. They still have stock in the store. You need to sign up for BETA access through "Account" setup. There should be a Join BETA Program tab. The specs looks very impressive, and the first round of testing has been completed which led to some minor design changes.

The only drawback I see to the UAS is it only comes with 2 TB drives (2-bay/RAID setup). Easily upgradable and suspect many people will upgrade to larger drives; however, there isn't an option to buy without the drives.

Once you sign up for BETA, you can check out the https://store.ubnt.com/collections/beta/products/unifi-application-server and browse the BETA forums.

That's good info. Thank you! I still feel kind of torn about it clearly being marketed as a beta product. It just screams red flags to me but it also seems like it could be the best solution. I'll have to look into it some more.

Absolutely understand your concern. Perhaps @UBNT-TomS can provide any insights on whether the UAS will have any more updates prior to final release. It may be hard to find similar spec'd equipment at the price. If I wasn't going into an apartment for a year, I would have already bought one. I just don't want to move it and have it sit idle for a year.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9153
Solutions: 1404

bsides wrote:

That's good info. Thank you! I still feel kind of torn about it clearly being marketed as a beta product. It just screams red flags to me but it also seems like it could be the best solution. I'll have to look into it some more.

You could of course just use the UAS specs to build your own system based on the same or similar Supermicro board.  That way you also have more options for disks and are not paying for the two disks the UAS ships with that probably don't meet your retention needs.

The big unknown here is the high number of viewing PCs.  I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that many viewing stations.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Kudos: 90

I think one of the biggest issues is how much storage do you need?  If you are recording 1080p video for 18 cams 24/7 you will need approx 500-600gb a day so for a week 4.2TB.

The UAS only comes with a 2-2TB drive, you can upgrade it but it is in a Raid 10 so you only have 2TB of recording space.  Less after the OS and other formating.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 95

bsides wrote:

I already know the unifi NVR will not meet the perfomrance I need so if impletmented a linux box will be built to run the controller. The system will house approximatley 18 cameras recording constantly at 1080p.  There will also be around 115 users. The majroity of users will only have access to view a single camera and will not have access to playback, just the live stream. There will be jut a few on at any given time. I suspect absolute worst case scenario will be 20 people viewing simultaniously.

The UVC-NVR will record from 18 cameras with no problems. It's also very efficient at re-streaming live video input, as we have a highly optimized pathway to translate incoming video streams to outgoing network addresses.

In your case, my first concern would be network bandwidth. 20 people simultaneously viewing multiple live streams can easily exceed 100Mbps if people are viewing more than one stream. Are these client viewers on the local network? If not, you're going to need a very substantial internet connection to sustain that upload bandwidth.

Ubiquiti Employee

harjms wrote:

Absolutely understand your concern. Perhaps @UBNT-TomS can provide any insights on whether the UAS will have any more updates prior to final release. It may be hard to find similar spec'd equipment at the price. If I wasn't going into an apartment for a year, I would have already bought one. I just don't want to move it and have it sit idle for a year.

The shipping version will be renamed to UAS-XG, but the specs will be the same for at least the first batch of production units.

Kudos: 90

@UBNT-TomS  I think the next product UBNT needs is a SAN or NAS.  Becuase the 2 internal drives can only be upgraded so much. 

I will still be sticking with HP or dell servers where I can put 6+ drives in for massive storage for camera recordings.  Especially when 4k cameras are in the line-up.  I purposly buy servers with 12 bays just incase I need to upgrade to more storage in the future.

[ Edited ]

nbonk wrote:

I think one of the biggest issues is how much storage do you need?  If you are recording 1080p video for 18 cams 24/7 you will need approx 500-600gb a day so for a week 4.2TB.

The UAS only comes with a 2-2TB drive, you can upgrade it but it is in a Raid 10 so you only have 2TB of recording space.  Less after the OS and other formating.

Do you mean Raid 1 or is there something I'm missing here? I also see the server is listed as having a 120GB SSD. Wouldn't this be where the OS and software reside by default, meaning I could just swap the new drives in and pretty much be on my way?

The UVC-NVR will record from 18 cameras with no problems. It's also very efficient at re-streaming live video input, as we have a highly optimized pathway to translate incoming video streams to outgoing network addresses.

In your case, my first concern would be network bandwidth. 20 people simultaneously viewing multiple live streams can easily exceed 100Mbps if people are viewing more than one stream. Are these client viewers on the local network? If not, you're going to need a very substantial internet connection to sustain that upload bandwidth.

I would say at it's worst it will be a half and half situation from where the streams are going . Otherwise the majority of the traffic will stay within the LAN.The WAN connection is 100/100 with nothing else on the network being used for upload. I believe it will suffice.

That statement about the NVR kind of blows me away. It must have some very good optimization. I just want to be clear, you think it could handle 18 cameras all being continuously recorded in 1080p while 20 people or so also stream? The pricetag of the UAS shouldn't be an issue but again the fact that it's a beta product makes me anxious about putting it into production.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

bsides wrote:

nbonk wrote:

Do you mean Raid 1 or is there something I'm missing here? I also see the server is listed as having a 120GB SSD. Wouldn't this be where the OS and software reside by default, meaning I could just swap the new drives in and pretty much be on my way?

I would say at it's worst it will be a half and half situation from where the streams are going . Otherwise the majority of the traffic will stay within the LAN.The WAN connection is 100/100 with nothing else on the network being used for upload. I believe it will suffice.

That statement about the NVR kind of blows me away. It must have some very good optimization. I just want to be clear, you think it could handle 18 cameras all being continuously recorded in 1080p while 20 people or so also stream? The pricetag of the UAS shouldn't be an issue but again the fact that it's a beta product makes me anxious about putting it into production.

Regarding UAS drives: You are correct that the operating system is on the internal SSD. You can install a pair of 12TB drives, configure them as RAID 0, and have 24TB of total storage if you wanted. We will consider options for larger storage in the future, but past a certain point it's difficult to accomodate every unique use case where users would prefer to purchase customized hardware anyway.

Regarding the NVR: Those specific numbers of recordings and clients isn't a use case we test thoroughly so I can't guarantee it, but the software which re-streams video as it comes into the device is very efficient at redirecting the streams in terms of CPU load. When it comes to recording, the first bottleneck is often the disk I/O, whereas live viewing doesn't involve the disk at all.