NVR Is Auto-updating and I can't Make it Stop

• I have an NVR that was on 3.9.6.  Somehow it went out and updated itself to 3.9.9 and crashed.
  • We put it back on 3.9.6 and flipped the "Check UBNT for Updates" to off.
  • This morning, the NVR went out and auto updated again.
  • There are two administrator users, neither of us pushed the button, the button wasn't even available since we turned off the NVR's ability to check for updates.
  • There are a couple of standard users out there, but since they don't have admin access, they can't update.

What is going on that's causing this NVR to auto update?  I have two other NVRs out there that don't do this, they notify and it stays there until someone runs the update procedure.

Please advise.

Kudos: 218
Solutions: 35

Re: NVR Is Auto-updating and I can't Make it Stop

There is no such thing as auto update for UniFi Video, only check for updates. A user must be manually pushing it. Only UniFi Protect has auto update capability.

I don't see any auto update features either, but it's updating.  The last two started when no-one was in the building.  We come in and find that an update has started.  Makes me wonder if they have the feature but it's not in the GUI for users to tweak and somehow, it's turned on via a registry key or something that's not getting cleared when we re-install the NVR software.

Kudos: 153
Solutions: 20

This is the second post about auto-update on UV3 in as many weeks.

@UBNT-Amir   If there is such a hidden feature....probably disable it in v3.10 before it comes out.

I probably should have looked beforehand, but didn't.  Thank you for pointing this out.

it seems that some of these are a bit old, dating back to June of this year or earlier, but UBNT refuses to admit that there's an issue here.  Makes me think that there's a coding problem where the NVR isn't waiting for permission from the user before it starts the process.   

We installed 3.9.11 this round in hopes that it solves that problem.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 494
Solutions: 62

There is no auto-update features hidden, dead or alive in UFV3. So I have no clue what we are talking about here.
Please provide logs or whatever makes you believe it is auto-updating.

Controller will every 6 hours check if a new UFV update is available. And if there is one will present a small banner on the side bar of the web UI that it is available. User must click on that banner and then click again on the install button to initiate the update.
Absolutely nothing automatic in that process.

If you are not using the web UI for update, and instead rely on the apt-get ubiquiti repo, then again it will not automatically update, unless you have some kind of settings on your linux server that automatically updates the whole system. (In which case an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade might upgrade UFV as well).
Highlighted

I don't know that we kept the log files.  Where do those typically live?  I'll take a look and see what we have.

Kudos: 153
Solutions: 20

under setting  "Get support file"

snip unifi vid.PNG

So, of course, that isn't going to work since we already re-installed the NVR software.  I'm hoping for the path of the log files so that I can see if the old ones remain.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1152
Solutions: 341

@CathrinLesya,

The logs are stored in /var/log/unifi-video - or C:\ProgramData\unifi-video\logs

Upgrades will only be logged if they are initiated from the web interface.  They are dpkg install logs.

The only trigger that can cause an upgrade is either user-initiated, or running apt-get update if the repo was installed.

Have you scheduled apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on the NVR?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide