Kudos: 56
Solutions: 4
Accepted Solution

Need help with Android and iOs apps

We have 20 cams running on a Windows p2p lan.  We are running 3.9.6 on the NVR appliance.

I'm embarrassed to even ask this.  If I knew how the apps worked at one time, I have forgotten it.  I'm in the early stages of Alzheimer's and want to get this system working the way it should.

I know that from a remote PC, I can go to https://video.ubnt.com and log in with my email and password and see the cameras.  Using the downloaded android app, I can give it the local IP address for the nvr and see the cameras while at home.  We do not have a fixed IP at home, how can I get my android and my wife's Apple phone to connect remotely?   I tried using Chrome on the android and going to https://video.ubnt.com.  Chrome throws up an error saying that services for this domain have been discontinued.

Any help appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10305
Solutions: 1585

Re: Need help with Android and iOs apps

On the android app, the first screen is the SSO portal logon where you use your SSO creds.  If you have not setup a separate account from the one you use on this forum, then it would be the same UserID/password that you use here.  This is of course assuming you linked the NVR to your account here.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 324
Solutions: 44

You can pay for a DDNS forwarding name. Such as dickday.dnsresolutioncompany.com. Then when your IP changes the DDNS service updates it automagically for you. I use the Synology one that has it built into the NAS stations I have. But there are sites out there you can pay for. Except for the main part of mine its "xxxx.synology.me" and it resolves to my homes IP each time.

I understand most of what you suggest, thank you.  Am I correct that not having a static IP is why I cannot get the phone apps to work and the  https://video.ubnt.com site is just for PC's running Chrome?

Established Member
Kudos: 324
Solutions: 44

Well no. If you know the IP and you can ping it from the outside, then that isn't the issue. I was hoping to help with the static IP question. I don't have the video part of Unifi. I use Synology video software but there might be a setting in the video software that needs to be enabled for cloud access. The same thing goes for when accessing the Unifi controller side. The cloud access has to be enabled.
Sorry I wish i knew 100% but I don't.
Highlighted

Ok, thank you so much for the help.

"If you know the IP and you can ping it from the outside, then that isn't the issue."   That's my problem... we do not have an outside IP that is static.

Go slow... I'm 70 and not in good health Man Happy

In order to make the iOS and Android apps, must I have a known static IP?  It sounds like what you suggest would work great for us, I'm just trying to understand how the apps work.  Also, I just learned that we can, for a small monthly fee, get a static IP.

Thanks again.

Ancient Member

@dickday wrote:

Am I correct that not having a static IP is why I cannot get the phone apps to work and the  https://video.ubnt.com site is just for PC's running Chrome?

Using the SSO portal does not require a static IP nor does it require forwarding ports so long as the NVR has unfettered outbound internet access.

My Topics
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

Ok, when I set theAndroid app for viewing the cams here at home, I gave it the local IP and it works great,  What do I enter on the android app when creating a connection for when we are away from home?

Ancient Member

On the android app, the first screen is the SSO portal logon where you use your SSO creds.  If you have not setup a separate account from the one you use on this forum, then it would be the same UserID/password that you use here.  This is of course assuming you linked the NVR to your account here.

My Topics

Perfect, thank you.  The android app now works great from the outside.  Now, I'll tackle my wife's iPhone.