Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Network Kbytes/sec status?

Greetings all.

I have 4 G3 cameras on my network - two of them show very clear, smooth video.   The other two show choppy video, with lots of pixelation.  

I notice that the status for the cameras that work well show a Network (Kbytes/sec) hovering around 750.   Both of the cameras that aren't working well never go above about 175.   

I've been all through the settings and I can't find out why those two cameras work so poorly.  They seem to be set up exaclty like the other cameras, including resolution of course.   All cameras show connected at 100 Mbps in the NVR control panel.   Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?  

What is a "normal" reading for Network (Kbytes/sec)?  The values seem pretty consistent - does it always stream video to the NVR, regardless of if it's recording?

My setup is 4 G3 cameras wired through a patch panel in the closet, each to it's own POE.   I run the NVR software on a Dell R610, running Windows Server 2012, 16gb RAM,  with  6TB of storage.    All the cameras run to the same switch in the closet.   I also have Ubiquite ToughSwitch I was going to put in to run two of the cameras, but I wanted to get this resolved first.    (Changing over to the toughswitch doesn't help either.) 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Ancient Member
Kudos: 8377
Solutions: 1295

Re: Network Kbytes/sec status?

Scene composition has a lot to do with the bitrate you see over the network.  I have two G3 mounted on the same pole and both set to override defaults with 6000Kbps at 20FPS.  My network switch shows one moving 6Mbps and the other one, 5Mbps so I attribute the difference to how compression is affected by changes on each frame.  These numbers are from my switch, not from the NVR and are in bits per second, not Bytes.  The NVR stats write the word bytes but uses a lowercase "b" which if abbreviated would suggest bits.

All cams that are set to record will stream constantly regardless of any motion present.

Kudos: 1

Re: Network Kbytes/sec status?

Thanks for the info. I've added a camera and in the process been messing with all the settings, it seems to be a little better.

I have all of these going into a unmanaged Netgear switch with all my other network traffic. I've ordered a Ubuiquit switch to isolate the cameras (and NVR) on their own segment, so we'll see how everything looks after that.
Thanks again.