Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

Number of G3 cameras supported on 500GB Unifi NVR appliance?

I currently have 2 G3 bullets, 1 G3 Micro, and 1 G3 Flex running on a Unifi 500GB NVR appliance.  The cameras are set to record motion only.  Using high quality recording so far.  I frequently delete unwanted recordings and typically have only about 10% or 15% of the NVR's disk capacity used.

I have all cameras running on a daytime schedule only as I haven't had good results at night due to excessive false motion triggers and insufficient IR output or IR reflections.

I am thinking about adding additional G3 bullets and Flex's.  Perhaps a total of 3 to 5 additional cameras.  They would be run on the same basis.

Can my NVR handle all of these cameras without issue?  What is the practical limit on number of cameras with my NVR?

Established Member
Kudos: 498
Solutions: 17

Re: Number of G3 cameras supported on 500GB Unifi NVR appliance?

I ran 6 off of a 500gb drive on motion only and i got almost 60 days out of it but it also had that drive all to its self.

Matt W
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10619
Solutions: 1654

The spec's say 20 cameras.  Of course, the disk space with that many would have very short retention depending on settings and motion activity.  I get about 3 days retention with 3 cams of which 2 are FTR.

Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

OK, guys, thanks.   Sounds like a few more cameras should work.

What happens when the NVR disk is full - are additional clips not recorded, or are the oldest deleted automatically to make room for the new, or something else?

Kudos: 112
Solutions: 26

@Ed111 wrote:

OK, guys, thanks.   Sounds like a few more cameras should work.

What happens when the NVR disk is full - are additional clips not recorded, or are the oldest deleted automatically to make room for the new, or something else?

If you enable Time Based Purging that would do just that. You specify what retaining period you wish to keep. (if max disk space is not meet first)

Highlighted
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10619
Solutions: 1654

No need for time based purge unless you are bound by law or contract to discard recordings older than.

The NVR will purge the oldest recordings when free space falls below the preset limit.