Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

RMA G3 Dome Connection issues

Hey All,

This past summer, I had a G3 Dome camera that suddenly decided one day to never start up again. I was able to submit an RMA and was sent a replacement for the device. The new device gave me a little trouble at first only connecting at 10 Half Duplex and would randomly disconnect and reconnect on the same cat 6 connection that the previous camera had been a rockstar on.

I did some typical troubleshooting, tested the cable, changed to another port on the switch (Unifi Switch 8 150W), took the camera down and plugged in in right at the switch. plugged into a different switch using POE injector. In all cases the camera seems to connect at 10 Half. Eventually I gave up with it and let it sit for a few days. When I checked back it was connected at 100 Full. I did a few reboots and it seemed to be connecting as expected.

That said, time passed and I've updated Unifi video to 3.10.0 Beta 3 recently and everything seemed fine. When I went through my Unifi network gear and ran firmware updates and rebooted switches, now I'm back to connecting at 10 Half on this camera and it seems to be dropping/reconnecting again like before. I've repeated all of the testing I previously did and now I'm realizing I should have requested a replacement on day one when it wasn't looking right from the start.

I'm wondering if anyone out here has seen any similar behavior and/or has any other troubleshooting ideas, or if I should just bite the bullet and replace the device.

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10397
Solutions: 1600

Re: RMA G3 Dome Connection issues

I don't think very highly of the G3-Dome so I would probably replace it with something better, but if you don't mind putting in some more time on it, you could try a TFTP recovery which is better than a basic factory reset.

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

Re: RMA G3 Dome Connection issues

Been trying to get this thing to start up in tftp mode following these instructions, and having no luck at all.

1. Locate the correct firmware file on disk.

2. Unplug the PoE cable from the camera.

3. Configure the computer to use a static IP/netmask on 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0 subnet.

4. Start a ping to 192.168.1.20.

5. Press and hold the Reset button, then power on the camera.

6. Wait at least 10 seconds (until both LEDs flash once) or until a ping response from 192.168.1.20 resumes.

7. Release the Reset button to keep this unit in TFTP mode. 

Given that there's only a single blue LED on the dome, I've tried applying power while holding the reset button and waiting 10 seconds, held and waited until the blue LED began to flash, and also tried holding and waiting over a minute and listened to the camera seem to restart multiple times but never start responding to the ping until well after I'd let go of the reset button and it had time to boot. Every time it seems to just boot normal instead of into TFTP.

Am I missing something in the process? I've tried at least 3-4 times with each method (10 seconds, LED blinking, and 60+ seconds) and just can't get it.

Thanks!