Re: How many cameras?

I am running a server with the Unifi Video software installed on it.  It has 2 Xeon quad core processors 10GB of RAM and 3 WD Purple 2TB drives running in RAID 5 for video storage only.  The Linux OS is on another drive.  CPU and memory usage are almost none with 57 cameras.  But I am having problems with the NVR loosing connection with the cameras.  Is there a limit in the software as to how many cameras you can run on one NVR?  

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2787
Solutions: 39

I would bet you are hitting IO issues.  RAID5 is the speed of just 1 drive, or a little less.

you can use bcache or dmcache and buffer the writes in RAM.  

Where is your database? Is it on the RAID?  Should have the db in an SSD if at all possible.

also, RAID5 is evil. Never use it.  Ever.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1428
Solutions: 437

You are most likely hitting IOPS limitations due to the use of RAID5. I would recommend adding another drive and using RAID10 if you require redundancy. All parity RAID suffers from significant write IOPS penalties.

You should also note that WD Purple drives are 5400 RPM. For that many cameras, you will want to use 7200RPM drives. WD RED Pro or GOLD drives are good options, as the UFV workload does not benefit from the firmware tweaks in surveillance-class drives.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Drive speed isn't the issue.  Not even coming close to the read write speed of the drives or the RAID.  

They are the Red drives.  I thought we had used purple but just checked.  

Established Member
Kudos: 314
Solutions: 60

My expierence when you run out of iOPS is the camera's always stay connected they just stop recording all togeather. Though I would bet you at maxing out the disks. How are you measuring what you are writing and what the disk's are capable of? If camera's keep disconnecting I would think it would be a network issue.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 37

Remember that UFV's hard drive use is non-sequential writes of many small files. It's not IO bandwidth, but input output operations per second that limit how many cameras you can use. The system gets bogged down waiting for write heads to catch up.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!