Kudos: 118
Solutions: 2

Re: Really Bad Night Image Gain - New UVC-G3

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Cody

Ok, MUCH MUCH better!  Looks like you will need to be able to have the firmware be able to know what camera version it is in. 

I did not put the beta firmware into the older camera. If you would like me to, let me know and I will.  (I also have a micro)

(And yes, I see the spot on the lens, it rained today and I did not clean it off. Biggrin5)

Wolf Cam - Sep 11 '18 09_17_15 PM.jpg
Bott-Lott - Sep 11 '18 09_17_06 PM.jpg
screenshot_2152.png
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1078
Solutions: 314

Excellent, glad to see it cleared things up!  We'll be rolling in this firmware to the next release, so please be sure to remove that line from system.properties prior to upgrading to the next release!  Thanks again for your patience and assistance with testing.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 77
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Cody - is this fix only for the af version of the G3?  I have been seeing similar issues with one of my original G3s with IR ring.  It seems to be worse on nights when the air temperature remains high.  But that could be a coincidence.

I'm impressed with the image quality @DBNet is getting in his last examples.  I have never had that quality for images with lighting only from G3 with IR extender.  To get that clarity I need to provide additional lighting.

Highlighted

"I'm impressed with the image quality @DBNet is getting in his last examples.  I have never had that quality for images with lighting only from G3 with IR extender.  To get that clarity I need to provide additional lighting."

So was I, that is why I was wondering what happened with the new version. Just an FYI...There are no other lights on, it is totally dark in the yard. 

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10188
Solutions: 1573

I too am curious whether the new firmware improves older G3 images.  I have never checked to see how hot the older G3 gets when the IR (ring) is on but I have seen wisps of evaporated water coming off of it in the rain so it must get fairly hot, hot enough to affect image quality.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

It is not heat as it would have happened with both cams.

Remember, the origioal images before the fix are from a UVC-G3 that came with a inline power adapter. It also had a IR Extender Ring in the shots.

I only loaded the test firmware on the NEW UVC-G3 that has power over PoE built in to work right off a switch. I did not load it on the other camera. 

So this surely there is some differene that can be corrected via firmware. (Which is good.)

Ancient Member

@DBNet wrote:

It is not heat...

It is heat that degrades the image quality over time on IR in most cases and there is heat reduction coded in the test firmware.

My Topics
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

I am sorry, I do not see how this at all is/was heat related or I would have had the issues with any of the cameras. It occurred even if I had the camera off for some time, thus cold, and turned it on. With or without IR extender.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 13

@DBNet do they have the same 5 digit date codes?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

Ancient Member

Sorry, it looks like I mixed up two threads related to poor image quality on IR.  The following one is heat related.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/Image-quality-degrades-terribly-over-time/m-p/2478029#M109...

My Topics

@UBNT-claw - I am sorry, but no way would they have the same date codes. They are two totally different versions of camera.