Short recordings with UVC G3 dome

Hi Ubiquiti-support,

First, I'm a big fan of your products so far.

Anyway, is it true that motion-recordings can be no shorter than the "End Motion Event Delay"? 

Example: The EMED is set for 30 seconds and someone pass by for 1 seconds. Then it will recording the passing and look for 30 seconds to see if any other motion is detected, but nothing happens and the video should therefore only be 1 second + the "Second To Record After". True or not true?

All my clips seem to be minimum 30 seconds- no matter if further motion is detected or not. Anyone else experince this and is that intended?

Thanks in advance.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10645
Solutions: 1655

Re: Short recordings with UVC G3 dome

You are mixing two different settings, the "End Motion Event Delay" and the "Seconds To Record After".

They both have a similar but different effect on the recording after initial motion.  I think but not positive, that the "End Motion Event Delay" is subtracted from the "Seconds To Record After".  Maybe @UBNT-Amir can confirm.

The "End Motion Event Delay" should keep the recording going just like the "Seconds To Record After" but if there is subsequent motion during the EMED it should extend the recording to count down another 30 seconds.  If there is no further motion and EMED time runs out, then "Seconds To Record After" should kick in.  As said however, I'm unsure if the EMED time is subtracted from it.

I think we are saying the same thing :-)

But what I would like it to do is:

1: 1 Second Minimum Event Trigger
2: Look for 30 seconds to see if motion has stopped and/or further motion is detected (Resetting as long as motion is detected)

Ex. 

1: 5 seconds of motion.
2: 10 seconds pause.

3: 2 seconds of motion.
Total recording time = 17 seconds.

What i experince, is that the clip will always be at least 30 seconds cause of the "End Motion Event Delay".

Ancient Member

@Chooter wrote:

2: Look for 30 seconds to see if motion has stopped and/or further motion is detected (Resetting as long as motion is detected)

Ex. 

1: 5 seconds of motion.
2: 10 seconds pause.

3: 2 seconds of motion.
Total recording time = 17 seconds.

Not how it works.  Your example above should produce 47 second recording, plus some amount of the chunk size on either/both ends.  If EMED is 30 seconds it will add 30 seconds to the amount of motion.

Thanks, but that doesn't really make sense, does it? Man Frustrated

Ancient Member

Makes sense to me. If EMED is set to 30, then it will record for 30 seconds past the end of last motion.  How does that not make sense to you?

Well yes, but it seems like I have no way to decide, how long should look for further motion? And if i do (EMED), it will record for that time no matter if something is detected or not.

In this case, I can get a clip where nothing happens for the last 30 seconds, where i think it should only record for maybe 3 or 4 seconds after last motion is detected.

In some cases I right now get 2 recordings within 1 minute, which result in many short clips.

Highlighted
Ancient Member

It records in real time.  It works by recording while watching for new motion.  If it stops recording, then there will be a new recording when there is new motion.