Highlighted
Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

UVC-NVR restore new unit from old backup

I am replacing a UVC-NVR that is failing with a new one.

If I restore the new NVR from the old backup, it restores but will not connect to the cameras. So through some research, I have done the following which works pretty good but has some bugs. Essentially, I did the following:

1. New NVR: Connect, turn on SSH, use command line to upgrade to latest firmware
  2. Restore from old NVR backup

When the above is performed, it will come up, connect to the cameras and I can connect it to my cloud account and for the most part all seems well.

The only thing I have found so far that doesn't work which leads me to believe there is a problem is that if I try to rename the new NVR, I will get  the following error

Validation Failed
recordingSettings.mbToRetain value is incorrrect
(null)

Somewhere online, earlier I found a link where someone said they also had to delete the database and maybe that is what I need to do. What step am I missing here? 

Thanks
Rod

Accepted Solutions
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10397
Solutions: 1600

Re: UVC-NVR restore new unit from old backup

As you discovered, the new NVR had older software than the old NVR so camera firmware was too new for the old software.  Makes sense.

My guess is the old NVR had a 500 GB HD and the new NVR has 2 TB.  The space to keep free needs to be adjusted upward as the requirement is a percentage of total disk space but the setting is absolute.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10397
Solutions: 1600

As you discovered, the new NVR had older software than the old NVR so camera firmware was too new for the old software.  Makes sense.

My guess is the old NVR had a 500 GB HD and the new NVR has 2 TB.  The space to keep free needs to be adjusted upward as the requirement is a percentage of total disk space but the setting is absolute.

I'll take a look. So nothing needs to be done about deleting the database or anything like that?

Thanks,

Rod

You were right on target. I did have an older 500G and moved to a 2TB unit. I wasn't exactly clear on how much space to allocate but since the old NVR was configured to 10G or 2% of 500G, I changed the setting on the new one to 40G which was 2% of 2TB.

After I changed the value, I rebooted and then I renamed it without any error.

Thanks again.

Rod