Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 98
Solutions: 41

UniFi Video 3.10 Upgrades

[ Edited ]

Hey Everyone,

We wanted to provide some ad-hoc instructions regarding software updates to clear up some possible confusion UI updates are preferred when possible, but there are currently two affected parties in regards to ui updates.

1. For UVC-NVR users:
As of March 20th, UVC-NVR and UVC-NVR-2TB users that are new or have been factory reset, and are on version 3.9.12 or earlier will need to follow a manual update process in order to to install version 3.10.0 or higher.
**Windows users, UAS-XG users, and custom linux installations are NOT affected.**

Steps to upgrade in this case are as follows:

service unifi-video stop
apt-get clean
rm /etc/apt/sources.list
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/security.list
echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security/ wheezy/updates main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/security.list
apt-get update -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false
apt-get upgrade -y -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false
echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openjdk.list
echo 'deb http://archive.debian.org/debian/ jessie main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openjdk.list
apt-get install -y -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jre-headless
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openjdk.list
service unifi-video start

You should be able to update from the UI normally at this point at Settings -> System Configuration -> Updates.

2. For users with custom Linux Installations:

To upgrade from  versions 3.10.1 through 3.10.2~beta2 to version 3.10.2, users will need to update manually via apt-get, or dpkg for their respective versions.
**Windows and UVC-NVR users are NOT affected**

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 148
Solutions: 15

Re: UniFi Video 3.10 Upgrades

Ok, so now I'm confused. Are you saying that UVC-NVR users should NOT update to 3.10.x even from 3.9.12 via the GUI, contrary to the release notes? Because I've already done that (3.9.12 > 3.10.1 > 3.10.2) via the GUI on a UVC-NVR with no issues (that I'm aware of)...

What about UVC-NVR-2TB?

(I did issue an apt update/upgrade about a year ago on that device when it was installed on-site, but certainly didn't do any of the rest of that.)
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

I hit an issue on the step:

sudo wget https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/unifi-video/v3.10.2/unifi-video.Debian7_amd64.v3.10.2.deb

Gives me a HTTP request sent, awaiting resource... 404 Not Found

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10693
Solutions: 1663

Try:

wget https://dl.ubnt.com/firmwares/ufv/v3.10.2/unifi-video.Debian7_amd64.v3.10.2.deb
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

Thanks did the trick and I upgraded my NVR to 3.10.

Ubiquiti Employee

@Maltz UVC-NVR and UVC-NVR-2TB units both can't update from a pre 3.10 branch to 3.10 from the WebUI, because the debian wheezy repos were archived, so the repolist needs to manually be pointed to the archived repo location, before UFV can obtain the package for JRE 8.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Check out our ever-evolving UniFi Video Help Center and UFV3 User Guide for answers to many common questions!

Ok, but mine did exactly what you're saying they can't - upgraded from 3.9.12 > 3.10.1 > 3.10.2 just fine, as far as I can tell. So... do I still need to run the above steps on them... or?
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

@Maltz , I'm sorry I misunderstood - When did you update? This problem manifested a week or so after 3.10.1 was released, so if you had updated prior to that it would have worked fine at that point.

The long and short of it is that if you can connect, and it says it's on 3.10.X, you're all good.

For subsequent updates the webui should still work fine too.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ok, I'm good then. I have a UVC-NVR that was upgraded shortly after 3.10.1 was released. I'm not sure exactly when, but it's functioning fine. There's also a UVC-NVR-2TB that is still on 3.9.something that hasn't been updated since last Summer because it's been offline at that site for months. lol It sounds like I don't need to take the above actions on either of them, then.

Ok, so after re-reading, I think I still misunderstood. I *will* have to perform the UVC-NVR-2TB that has not yet updated to 3.10.x, correct? I.e., "subsequent updates" means updates beyond 3.10.x, as opposed to future 3.9.12 > 3.10.x updates.

This post is very unclear about who is affected and who is not and even what the cause of the issue is, imo...
Kudos: 308
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

I also updated using the web console with no issues.. in my case from 3.9.12 to 3.10.2 - and I did that 4 days ago.. don't seem to be any issues...

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10693
Solutions: 1663

@UBNT-claw , please fix the typo in your OP.  I flagged it for moderation but it got no traction.

Ubiquiti Employee

@LLigetfa Good catch - I found it in the articles but I must have forgotten to come clean this one up.

@Maltz I have edited the description to be more precise about affected users. -- 

• "As of March 20th, UVC-NVR and UVC-NVR-2TB users that are new or have been factory reset, and are on version 3.9.12 or earlier will need to follow a manual update process in order to to install version 3.10.0 or higher."

et al. - The process has been updated to encomapss a wider array of affected installations, and should allow you to update via the webUI after you follow the steps in my original post.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 44

@UBNT-claw 

Kudos: 676
Solutions: 3

@mike_corp wrote:

@UBNT-claw 

I have a new UVC-NVR-2TB in a box (that I picked up a year ago, been sitting on a shelf) that I'm installing this weekend. First thing I was going to do was get it up to the latest version, so I'm wondering the same thing.

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

definitely not a product that works out of the box!

Tried to upgrade from 3.10.1 to 3.10.2 and it is now stuck forever on the 'updating....' screen. Argh. 

@geadinc wrote:

Tried to upgrade from 3.10.1 to 3.10.2 and it is now stuck forever on the 'updating....' screen. Argh. 

That pretty obviously has nothing to do with this thread...  Maybe make a new one or post in one of the existing 3.10.1 > 3.10.2 threads, if there's one with a similar symptom.

@Maltz wrote:

@geadinc wrote:

That pretty obviously has nothing to do with this thread...  Maybe make a new one or post in one of the existing 3.10.1 > 3.10.2 threads, if there's one with a similar symptom.

oh bite me, it was late at night and I had a system that was completely down, finding the most 'appropiate' thread to post was not my biggest concern.

I'll concede my tone was a bit terse, but I wasn't just trying to be a jerk. Posting a dozen-ish posts into in some random thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with your issue is just a really ineffective way to find help. Even setting aside that thread hijacking is considered a bit rude on just about any forum, there isn't likely to be anyone reading the unrelated thread who has much knowledge about your problem. If you get lucky and there is, you're effectively asking them to repeat themselves because you haven't bothered to look for any existing answers. It also makes it much harder for other people in the same boat to find your solution even if it does generate an answer.

Anyway, that constitutes my assistance/advice... there are lots of threads addressing being stuck at "Updating..." after an upgrade. Look through them and create a new thread if you still can't find an answer or you believe your situation is unique. Or just contact tech support.