Highlighted

UniFi Video NVR in School Setting

I'm working on a small surveillance project in my school district, and I need some input.

I have an unmonitored hallway (no staff present during student travel times) that's roughly 100 yards long. There's been some issues with grafitti, and I've been asked to investigate a small scale solution. I'm curious if the UniFi Video NVR would be enough to maanage 3-4 cameras placed strategically in the hallway. There are roughly 200 students that travel through the hallway for a 4-5 minute period every hour or so, and then regular small scale foot traffic in the hallway during the day.

Would 3-4 of the G3 cameras and the NVR be enough to handle that load, or would they be overwhelmed with that kind of traffic?

Established Member
Kudos: 265
Solutions: 32

Re: UniFi Video NVR in School Setting

Hi and Welcome to the community!

I recommend the new CK Gen 2+ for your situation. It can handle up to 20 cameras at once but you just need 3-4 like you said. This device runs $200 plus tax and shipping from the UBNT online store.

https://store.ubnt.com/collections/surveillance/products/unifi-cloudkey-gen2-plus-1

It runs the newest version of the UniFi survaillance software, called Protect. I recommend reading up on some of the forums here to make sure it can do what you want. It sounds like you just need recording of the camera angles and to play back if something gets vandalized.

Kids huh? :/

Yeah, kids damaging property that doesn't belong to them? Go figure Man Wink

Thankfully it's just a small group of kids, which is why we feel confident this small deployment can help.

I was pointed towards the NVR from another neighboring school district, but it looks like the CK Gen 2+ is the next evolution? It is compatible with all of the cameras, and more importantly, it just hangs on our network and does it's own thing? I'm used to larger systems that I would have deployed in my server room, but this looks like something I could just plug into my network at my workstation.

Last question; the Unifi Protect, is this a cloud based subscription service?

Established Member

This is the newest version of the NVR. The old one will stay getting updates but not as cool features as the Protect is supposed to get at some point.
The CK Gen 2+ is supposed to be plug and play sort of. Plug it in, let it boot up. It runs off of PoE if you want or USB-C cable.

It does its own thing for sure and it also runs the SDN software for UniFi Wifi. So if you want them all in one, thats a great way to do it.

Its compatible with all the UBNT cameras as well.
It is cloud based but not a subscription. Free cloud access.

You can ask as many questions as you like!

Gotcha!

Knowing that it's not true plug and play, but pretty darn close helps. This will actually be a small test run for the UniFi Protect platform. My school district will be deploying it's first ever districtwide video survellience platform in the next 2-3 years, and I'd love to have it be something simple, lightweight, and accesible via staff mobile devices.

If the cameras work well, would we be able to upgrade to the more robust Server XG for the deployment of dozens of cameras throughout the district?

Established Member

Yes you would be able to use the XG server if you want more than 20 cameras. But as time goes on, the protect software should get more robust and HOPEFULLY it will be able to install on 3rd party OS's. Right now it cannot and they don't have anything down the road they are looking at yet. They just want Protect on the CK Gen2+ and hopefully soon, the XG server you mentioned. Its not yet on there. I would suggest following the Protect threads if you ever see them come up. This way you are in the loop when you might want to start looking into switching over.

Thanks, you have been amazingly helpful! I envision the distsrict will need upwards of 80-100 cameras (or more after a proper walkthough/evaluation) for our final project, and having a platform that's easily extensible is key!