reliable constant live video monitoring...

so we have a habit of putting in Swann or Digital Watchdog systems that have an HDMI out which we can then connect to an HDMI switch allowing homeowners to select that option in the systems we install and see their cameras...  since there are no video ports active on the Unifi NVR, this isn't really an option....

i've tried to set up a PC at my house and do the same thing, it's running the NVR and with Chrome as the browser, full screen, monitoring 3 cameras... without fail there's an eventual lockup, i have yet to figure out why.

i'd like to be able to set this up for customers, so when they hear a noise outside a 2am, they can just grab their remote and see their cameras...  has anyone had any luck setting something like this up reliably with Unifi?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 2

Re: reliable constant live video monitoring...

I like an answer to this too. I have a test setup at my house with 7 cams. I have a Chromebit plugged into an HDMI on a tv. Usually works but eventually after a few days the browser crashes and I need to re-login. I wish there was a way to disable user/password for local access, or at the very least a way to save the pw's. 

Kudos: 2481
Solutions: 38

@mrbrivalen wrote:

I wish there was a way to disable user/password for local access, or at the very least a way to save the pw's. 

And PLEASE re/enable app.session.timeout=0    Cheers2

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4288
Solutions: 983
Contributions: 17

What are the resources like on the client machine and what resolution views are you looking at for those cameras?

If there's a stream open (either Live View or Live Feed from the camera's view), you won't get logged out.

Many Questions are Answered in the KnowledgeBase
Don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark threads as solved
Forum Rules

the machine in question is an old i3 Dell Inspiron ONE (all in one machine) set for a 720p resolution, with VGA out to an Integra 40.3 receiver i have in my rack.  running Windows 7, NVR version 3.5.1 (i believe), logged in locally via Chrome, and set to view cameras at full screen.

the idea was simply that i want to be able to put a computer at a client site, install the NVR, point all the cameras at it, load up Chrome (or another browser if UBNT says Chrome isn't stable enough), and leave the full screen pumping into something that can be fed into the house/office video distribution system.

a surprising amount of my clients enjoy the idea of always being able to see their cameras, some even have me set up televisions that dont turn off, they just switch to the cameras instead.  a 3am noise outside, grab the bedroom remote and show the cameras... or the ktichen TV that's always on the cameras if it's not showing the satellite.

i can't find a stable way to do this with Unifi.   i'd love any ideas on how to streamline things and make this work... i'm inches from formatting the i3 i'm using for testing, just to make sure it's not a Windows problem... but the machine's not crashing when this setup isn't running.   would a NUC with Ubuntu/Debian be a more stable option?

Ubiquiti Employee

@rjvalenta wrote:

the machine in question is an old i3 Dell Inspiron ONE (all in one machine) set for a 720p resolution, with VGA out to an Integra 40.3 receiver i have in my rack.  running Windows 7, NVR version 3.5.1 (i believe), logged in locally via Chrome, and set to view cameras at full screen.

the idea was simply that i want to be able to put a computer at a client site, install the NVR, point all the cameras at it, load up Chrome (or another browser if UBNT says Chrome isn't stable enough), and leave the full screen pumping into something that can be fed into the house/office video distribution system.

a surprising amount of my clients enjoy the idea of always being able to see their cameras, some even have me set up televisions that dont turn off, they just switch to the cameras instead.  a 3am noise outside, grab the bedroom remote and show the cameras... or the ktichen TV that's always on the cameras if it's not showing the satellite.

i can't find a stable way to do this with Unifi.   i'd love any ideas on how to streamline things and make this work... i'm inches from formatting the i3 i'm using for testing, just to make sure it's not a Windows problem... but the machine's not crashing when this setup isn't running.   would a NUC with Ubuntu/Debian be a more stable option?

What are the bitrate and FPS settings for those cameras?

If memory serves, all i3s are dual-core.  I'd imagine having a better CPU would do it.  A NUC with an i5 should handle that low of a camera count.  It's been done on a Raspberry Pi using RTSP streams as well.  How much RAM is in that system?

Forum Rules

the machine kept crashing...  it's in my basement now with a blank screen and i haven't rebooted it yet.

i'm about to format an old AMD box for Ubuntu 14.04.4 and try that route... but your response worried me a little, when you say an i5 should be enough, you're basically telling me that i need a fairly well decked out machine to monitor cameras live.  this makes me wonder if a NUC will be enough, will it have enough video power, and cooling?  has Ubiquiti managed to keep a machine doing live monitoring for a few months without a problem?

SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

A better route would be having a device dedicated to running the NVR and a 2nd one to grab the streams and display them.  When using low powered ( cpu and memory ) systems. 

Or 1 much larger computer.  Your mileage may vary. 

Also setting up a live view with 2 to 4 cameras the video streams will be auto set to medium quality. You can set them to use the low res stream and save some cpu power. 

Allan

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Ubiquiti Employee

@rjvalenta wrote:

the machine kept crashing...  it's in my basement now with a blank screen and i haven't rebooted it yet.

i'm about to format an old AMD box for Ubuntu 14.04.4 and try that route... but your response worried me a little, when you say an i5 should be enough, you're basically telling me that i need a fairly well decked out machine to monitor cameras live

No, not really.  You have a superstorm of resource intensive tasks going on.

1. Windows.  Just having an operating system with a UI is going to hit your CPU and RAM harder than an operating system without a UI.  To put this into perspective, my i7 desktop with Windows 10 and 32GB of RAM is using 4GB of RAM for just the OS after just a couple weeks of uptime.  Windows 7 is lighter, maybe 3GB of RAM
  2. Recording, encoding, and moving around H264 1080p or 720p streams is resource intensive for CPU and the hard drive. Obviously, 1080p more-so than 720p.
  3. Viewing and decoding H265 1080p or 720p streams is intensive on the CPU and RAM. Obviously, 1080p more-so than 720p.

When you combine all 3 of those things into one machine, it doesn't need to be decked out, you just need to delegate responsibilities.

@rjvalenta wrote:

this makes me wonder if a NUC will be enough, will it have enough video power, and cooling?  has Ubiquiti managed to keep a machine doing live monitoring for a few months without a problem?

Again, a quad core i5 NUC for the limited number of cameras you have should be fine.

To sum all of this into a great example is our hardware NVR.  I'm not suggesting you buy it, simply using it as an example.

The first generation of the hardware NVR was a quad core Atom CPU with 4 GB of RAM.  Current generation is a dual core Celeron, same RAM.  It runs Debian 7 headless (no Desktop environment) and is quite the stable little machine.

I'm not telling you that you need a decked out machine, I'm simply saying that you can't take a 3-6 year old machine and use it for 2016 applications; that's true of just about anything these days.

What I would do is one of the following:

Dual core i5 NUC with Ubuntu server and you can use that i3 for viewing

Quad core i5/i7 NUC with Windows and you should be able to use that for both the server and the client

We never advise that the server and the client be used on the same machine.  It leads to exactly this problem most of the time; unless you have a decked out computer.

Forum Rules
Kudos: 1

I've been using LastPass with its autologin feature enabled.  Works perfectly.

SuperUser
Kudos: 6147
Solutions: 387

[ Edited ]

@rjvalenta wrote:

but your response worried me a little, when you say an i5 should be enough, you're basically telling me that i need a fairly well decked out machine to monitor cameras live. 

Re-read his message where he mentioned the Raspberry Pi.

See this:  https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/Tutorial-RTSP-Raspberry-Pi-B-Viewer-6-Cam-4-Cam/td-p/15364...

I'm doing a matrix of six cameras on a the model 3 or whatever the new and improved Raspberry Pi is. That's for displaying.  

And it's consuming a lot less power than either of the computers you are trying to use, and cost $80 for a kit I picked up on a whim (can probalby find 'em cheaper if you look)

My NVR is an old Dell Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM. I have a 500GB hard drive that the OS and Unifi Video software and database is on, and a spare 2GB that all my videos are recorded on.  This is for 8 cameras - I could probably double up without issue.  The key is the OS is Debian - and the GUI IS NOT loaded as @UBNT-Matt_B_ explained with the Unifi Video NVR appliance.  Having a GUI loaded on the NVR is a significant suck on resources, so if you want to repurpose old hardware pick an effecient OS configuration.  

Yeah, you have to use the command line to set it up and maintain, but it's infrequent and really not that hard.  People in the forums tend to be helpfull if asked nicely Man Wink

And I'll just repeat this from @UBNT-Matt_B_ :

We never advise that the server and the client be used on the same machine.  It leads to exactly this problem most of the time; unless you have a decked out computer.
When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP