Highlighted
Kudos: 6

some success vs bugs

As many of you know, the IR lights in ubiquiti cameras attract insects.  In some locations this is a huge problem.  Once the bugs start flying near the camera, they trigger motion detection relentlessly, because they are near both the IR lights and the camera, so are extremely bright.  The flying insects attract spiders who weave webs.  The result can be continuous triggering multiple times per minute all night.

I've been having this problem with a back yard camera (G3 pro) installed specifically to capture activity of nocturnal animals.  Several hundred false triggers per night, which makes the motion detection essentially useless.

I bought one of those insect repellant bracelets at a local drugstore, and put it around the camera.  Next night no insects, and no insect-caused false triggers!  There was one false trigger when the spider walked across the lens once, but she didn't weave any web, no doubt noticing that there weren't any insects here to eat.

This is a huge improvement, from several hundred false triggers a night to zero.

My guess is that the effect of the bracelet will only last a few days.  Doing the experiment now.  If it does only last a few days, then it may be an unworkable solution long term.  I thought I'd tell you about my initial success anyway.

I'm working on a setup which will have the IR lights seperated from the camera.  I bought an IR illuminator, which I will put a foot or so away from the camera, and then turn off the IR lights in the camera.  The thing that's slowing me down on this experiment is getting power for the IR illuminator.  I only have one ethernet cable to this location, and need it to power the IR illuminator and the Ubiquiti camera.  There don't seem to be any power splitters that pass thru PoE, so I'm planning to try a small PoE powered switch followed by a power splitter for the illuminator.  Will report those results when available.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10092
Solutions: 1563

Re: some success vs bugs

ATX-LED has off-axis illuminators that are POE powered with passthrough.

https://atxled.com/

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

@LLigetfa wrote:

ATX-LED has off-axis illuminators that are POE powered with passthrough.

https://atxled.com/

Thank you for that link.  These are not "af" devices, but passive PoE devices that can work on the same cable if you add a 2nd injector.  I could use that scheme with any passive injector and splitter, as long as the voltage of same matched the voltage required by the LED.  The device they offer is just an IR LED with a passive PoE splitter.

It appears that there are an odd set of options.  I will soon try one of them and report back.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10092
Solutions: 1563

https://www.shop.atxled.com/products/pl-poe-ir-6w uses 24V and has AF passthrough by using different pairs.  You just need to wrap your mind around how it is done.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.