Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Confused with Unifi Controller vs Unifi VoIP Controller

I have an AP currently using the Unifi Controller on a remote site server. I recently received a UVP phone and am trying to hook it up to the controller. After spending an hour on it I've found out there is a UniFi VoIP Controller. Do I have to use both or can the UVP be set up from the same controller software as the AP?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 265
Solutions: 8

Re: Confused with Unifi Controller vs Unifi VoIP Controller

You have to use both controllers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 265
Solutions: 8

You have to use both controllers

[ Edited ]

Thats a shame. Thank you for your response. Maybe they will find a way to combine the two in an efficient way in the future.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 4

Much like surveillance, VOIP isn't something that every UniFi location is going to need. As such, it would really bloat the install of the base controller (not to mention balloon the base storage requirements) to combine them. If you've spun up your own server for the controller, you can host all the different controllers on the same hardware, since they bind to different ports. You can then use DNS aliasing on site to make each sub domain point to the needed port for ease of use.

For Instance:

A Name: unifi = Static IP so devices can find it for adoption

Alias: cameras = https://unifi.<domain>.<tld>:7443

Alias: voip = https://unifi.<domain>.<tld>:9443

You could even then code yourself a quick and easy portal running on 443 in Apache or NGIX (or whatever) on the server that had links to the 3 sites, if you wanted to. 

True, and that probably fits for most businesses. But it would save time by not having two seperate places to go. UniFi to me means unifi'ing management (ok, maybe that's just my version of it but hey, it's gotta work for me in order to use it). As it stands we have so many different management systems between all the Ubiquiti devices, and Cisco, and others that it's just a pain to have "one more" portal to attach to.

But it's all just a personal convenience issue. As me and my team work with our customers (we are an MSP) to consolidate into 1 or 2 vendors (probably Ubiquiti as a primary) we will begin to reduce a lot of the complexity in the current administration systems we go though and at that point perhaps having 2 portals (for APs and VoIP) won't be as bad.

However, we use these portals to manage most of our customer's business assets so having 2 portals each containing hundreds of sites (businesses) in them gets complex when you have to seperate the two portals. Nontheless, I assume we are in the minority here as I'm sure most MSP's do not use the controller(s) the way we do.