Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Migrating Away from Mitel

I should preface this; I'm not a pro in this arena. 

With a recent remodel, we've upgraded all of our networking and surveillance systems to Unifi:

• CKG2+

• USG

• US-48 500w

• AC Pros and G3 Cams

We currently run a Mitel VOIP system, with 5320 and 5330 series phones. 

I'd like to prep a comparison for the powers that be that allow us to look apples to apples on switching to Unifi phones. I obviously know what my handset, licenses, etc. costs are from Mitel. 

Assuming we wanted to do ground up, most reliable and cost-effective way to roll out Unifi phones, can anyone advise on the following:

1) What equipment do we need to pull it off (beyond the handsets)?

2) What service would be good to go with to implement?

3) What am I not considering or ignorant of in this process?

Obviously, we'd like to keep our current phone number. 

Forgive my ignorance, and I greatly, greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction

Re: Migrating Away from Mitel

*bump* Anyone have any thoughts on this at all?

Kudos: 6

@patricksprague @What you are considering is a RGE Resume Generating Event!!

you want to take a well know VoIP system and migrate to an unknown hardware platform which hansent even been on prerelease!!!

Thinkabiut what you are considering and save your career while you can. 

If if you want to move system I have no issues but move to a system with proven hardware and server platform. 

Note these are only my options you mileage will vary.

1) go Polycom VVX desk phones

2) go Polycom TRIO Conference Phone

they both support central providing servers with thousands of options if needed you can even manually login into your account with a few options after booting the phones up so the server is not needed. Also server is free (http(s)/ftp(s)

VoIP services most of my platforms are now in Skype for Business / Teams as they all use Office 365 so you just add a calling plan and pricing is reasonable. Free inbound and polled outbound with prepaid toll free minutes below average. 

Second would be RingCentral how ever when doing my own cost comparison it was cheeper to go Skype for Business / Teams. 

In once case I was able to migrate from RingCenteal to SfB with purchasing used Polycom VVX 500’s and have the hardware costs paid for with a 3 month ROI. That client is presently saving 66% a month after the 3 month ROI show me a way to beat that with any other top vendor and I’ll switch them in a heart beat. 

Dont get me wrong I love the new tech and toys but you have to also look at your total picture and produce something that is supportable in the end and comparing alpha level hardware to a well know vested vendor is a very risky case. 

Enjoy, let us know what you decide!!!!

Thanks, I genuinely appreciate the response!

It's not really a career-threatening move, rather a look down the line as we expand, are there better, more affordable options out there. 

My questions primarily center around what's involved in switching, and how to properly compare costs. i.e., What are the components involved in the system, what are the costs for those components, and what are the ongoing costs?

I'm 100% happy to wait until things are fleshed out more with Unifi, which we probably will anyway. However, it seems that with Unifi only offering the handsets, there are still other components to consider to make the system work, yes?

Kudos: 6

tou com@patricksprague 

Yes it does look that was but until the announce it’s unsure. 

Good move on waiting for it it to be flushed out. Go ahead and grab 3-5 handsets to play with and see how things go but it looks like you will need. VoIP server or Service provider to hook up to

sounds like you have the switches and Poe do costs are VoIP service calling plannand handset costs and ongoing service/support and you won’t know those to built your ROI until they go full production you could estimate only based on old phone costs to at least build your ROI model and then fill in the blanks later.