Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 87

VOIP over Analog Tele

I just signed up with comcast (bundling was cheaper) I signed up for internet and one phone line. It was cheaper to bundle a phone line with the internet than to pay for just internet. I do not want to wire in phone jacks into every office, I want to use VOIP phones. I can't seem to find a gateway that will convert a regular phone line to voip. It always seems the other way around, VOIP to Analog. Is there a gateway that will convert analog phone line to VOIP?

Kudos: 8
Solutions: 4

Re: VOIP over Analog Tele

Just to be clear, are you trying to run VOIP phones over your existing phone wiring in your house? If that is what your asking the answer is: No, it can’t be done. Standard phones only need one pair of wires to work and the in-wall wiring is at most 2 pairs. A VOIP phones needs Ethernet (4 pairs). 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 166
Solutions: 45

[ Edited ]

Like the user up top mentioned... If you're trying to run VoiP phones over cat5/6 punched down as telephone, No that will not work.

But if you're looking into converting that analog phone line over to a digital PBX.  You will need to look into a PBX with FXO/FXS card support.  

Just giving you food for thought, like these cards:

https://www.digium.com/products/telephony-cards/analog

Thanks,

Jeff

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team
"I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." - Socrates

Emerging Member

This is what I am trying to do.

Buisness Analog Phone + Internet cheaper than just internet

I ran cat6 cables for my office, I didn't want to run phone lines. 

I am wanting to use the cat6 lines.

Analog Line -> Gateway -> Unifi Switch -> UVP

Emerging Member

Is there something that I can either mount in my network rack or place on a shelf in the network rack that can be the "gateway" for the phone to voip system? I saw you posted the PCI card, but that doesn't really fit my needed form factor.

Thanks,

Mason 

Kudos: 8
Solutions: 4

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were asking. UBNT-JaM is right. To connect analog phone lines to an IP phone system you need an FXO gateway. A Digium gateway will run you about $900, but that will give you something that will sit in your network rack and convert your analog line to VOIP. You could setup your own Asterix system on a Linux box, but you would still need something like the PCI card suggested above that will still run you around $150 for the card alone.

Established Member
Kudos: 330
Solutions: 45

I think grandstream has some options that are reasonably priced. I can't remember the specific model, but I used one of their boxes to hook up some analog lines for a customer once. I think the spa3000 might work as well. You'd still need the PBX. I use a raspberry pi at my house. Works a treat and never misses a beat.

I'm currently using a Cisco SPA3102 to connect to my Xfinity router's phone line. The other side of the SPA3102 is connected to my network both VOIP and local.  I'm using FreePBX as my VOIP system.  

• 5 @ UVP Pro
  • 1 @ UVP
  • 3 @ Mobile extensions
  • FreePBX ver 14- virtual machine
  • SPA3102
  • 1 @ UNIFI VOIP server - virtual machine

Here's a link to the SPA - eBay.  I have purchased this item from Amazon and eBay.  

Kudos: 145

Vonage and others offer a VoIP gateway with an FXS port. If Ubiquiti had a compatible gateway with and FXO port, then an on-premise VoIP system would work with almost any VoIP PBX (Vonage, Comcast, etc). The FXO could be on the CloudKey or on the USG. For residential use, two FXO ports added to a USG would match up with the 2-port Vonage adapter, for example.

Kudos: 21
Solutions: 2

I have a similar setup to what I think you are looking for

For the gateway I use an Audiocodes MP114 with 2*FXO Ports and 2*FXS Ports.

https://www.audiocodes.com/media/2373/mp-1xx-and-mp-124-datasheet.pdf

There should be a bargain on Ebay.

For the PBX I use FreePBX on a Raspberry Pi

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/

If you go with the split FXO (plug your phone line in to) and FXS(plug existing analogue phones in to) then you can use existing phones as well as newer IP Phones. Be carefull as some gwateways only come with FXS ports which in your case would not allow you to connect your phone line into.

I guess the other thing to consider is the phones you are going to use, to make sure that they work with the PBX.