Kudos: 2

Re: how do i place a VOIP video call: UVP-Pro to UVP-Pro

@twinpines wrote:

thank you so much for this thread, I was definitely misled about the UPV's video call capabilities...purchased 3 of them.  I just wasted 6 hours trying to enable UVP-to-UVP video calls using asterisk....it didn't work and I assumed my asterisk was misconfigured.  eventually, I began to wonder if video over SIP was broken in the UVP and found this thread....I feel tricked.

Hi @UBNT-DavidS

Lets together welcome @twinpines to the fabled land of tricksters and cheats!

Highlighted

I was going to replace the UVP execs with yealinks but then I found the justalk app which is a suitable workaround for this environment.  then just now I orderd 6 more UVP execs.  I compiled and installed asterisk on the ubuntu box where I run unifi controller.

Interestingly, for UVP exec-to-UVP exec video calls, in case others travel down this road:

1)  to be crystal-clear, the unifi SIP-based client on the UVP exec has no support for video (!!!).  SIP audio OK using ulaw and probably other codecs with asterisk server

2)  hangouts was a total bust.  video feed dropped 1-2 seconds after connections established.  audio feed OK.

3)  zoipers (lite using UDP SIP) connected, but video laggy and displayed sideways or upside-down...portrait/landscape issues not resolvable via "force landscape" option.  Often, the video feed displayed as a giant green rectangle, sometimes fixed by reconnection.  audio feed OK.

4)  did not try skype

5)  did not try google duo

6)  justalk works OK for video and audio thus far....and works for this particular install because you register with a phone number instead of the usual email. I fully expect to walk in to the office one day and find out justalk is broked, that's not a great feeling and I would not advise using justalk if your job is on the line or your installation is 20+ phones.

If anyone has a better app for video calls than justalk, such as skype or duo, please reply to the thread and let us know

It is straight-up baffling why unifi didn't put more effort into video calls, then again after floundering for 2 days I was able to find a workaround.  first world problems.

I actually run a small ISP operation and had to give the very sad news to my colleagues that we cannot use these phones in our deployments to customers because of this specific issue.

Very disappointed.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

I personally like GS Wave from grandstream for video calling. When we are forced to use an alternative from a competitor, I think we could as well invest in company that works out of the box with supporting hardware to boot like their UCM series of IPPBX.

That said since the apps are dependent on the base operating system (Android). At some point we are going to be shafted. This is the precise reason for not accepting Ubiquiti's fix of using an app based solution.

I must continue to say that ubiquiti is doing an awesome job on their network equipment range like routers, switches, access points and amazing management software and hardware like the Unifi Cloud key.

Looks like they have hired a bozo to run the phone division and he has sucessfully run it to the ground.

inidanfarmer:  thanks for the recommendation for GS Wave, I'll give it a look.  A bozo at unifi is a convenient explanation, but is it true/accurate?  I'd like to know what the truth is.  I'm not sure how the handset events are handled by the android OS when the camera is on and video/audio streams have been initiated between two peers, for instance...a previous comment seemed to hint that handling the handset events correctly might require modifying android, which would break other things...I've been in that position before, with java-based systems, of re-defining core classes and then your app works but maybe security updates or new versions of android would overwrite your custom EventHandler, requiring new code pushes and restarts, which alienates users...anyways I digress.

It would be wonderful if the unifi team could chime in and let us know what the status is and what problems they face.

Anyone with firsthand experience with the UVP team want to comment and help us understand?

Another idea:  Is the UVP android app source code available and can we develop SIP video support ourselves?

7) the bria mobile app from counterpath is working great with h264 codec on SIP channel on asterisk compiled on ubuntu. bria mobile costs $10/year/user. I like this more than justalk, tons of useful SIP config options. bria does not work with handset.