2x UniFi AC Pro for ~200 devices

Hi,

We are organising digital quizzes where players answer with their tablet / smartphone.

Last year I bought two UniFi Ac Pro's to provide a wifi network for our players. We used to play with about ~40 devices, so everything went like a charm. I placed one AP at each end of the venue, basically on the ground, but still everyone had perfect connection.

Now we've been asked to organise a slightly bigger event with up to 200 connected devices. To fix the placement issue I've bought 2 tripods that are able to raise the APs to about 4m high, so well above the players heads.

Perfect placement is a bit of an issue. I understand that the APs should be placed in the middle of the room, but that would mean I'm blocking the view on the stage. Next best thing seems to be to place the APs in opposing corners (maximum distance between the two APs).

From what I read the 2 aps should be able to handle it. Bandwidth usage should be quite small, but latency should be as low as possible (score is linked to response time).

Any thoughts on this setup? Should I maybe put the back tripod in the back-center of the room?

Thanks for your feedback!

Kudos: 1692
Solutions: 508

Re: 2x UniFi AC Pro for ~200 devices

Hello @daedeloth,

You could put the UAPs on the walls if any to blast into the room.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

You mean placing them vertically instead of horizontally?

I thought these devices had a better range on the sides than down?

Hello @daedeloth,

Yeah, if you don't have another choice in mounting them on the ceiling.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Placing them on tripods with the "top" down (as if they were on the celing) is not going to be a problem.

But they will indeed be next to the walls instead of in the center of the room.

The tripods I've bought go up to 4m.

I'm just not sure what the best place to put them is Man Happy

Hello @daedeloth,

Do you have a picture of the area and how you want to set it up?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I'm preparing a setup for multiple venues, but the next one is going to be in a cinema venue.

(Picture attached)

So one (low) tripod in the left back corner, one (high) tripod in the right front corner (first picture).

OR, one low tripod in the middel back, one high tripod in the front right/left.

Does that make sense?

1.png
2.png
kinepolis-zaal-5.jpg

Hello @daedeloth,

I think you’re better of with either a BaseStation XG or multiple UAP AC Ms with UMA-D attenas.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

The basestation is out of my price range Man Happy

I'm not sure why a mesh network would be better than a cabled network (other than not having to run a cable from one side of the room to the other)? I can see how the UMA-D would target the users better, but I already own the 2 AC Pro's, so if those would suffice I'd like to use those.

[ Edited ]

Hello @daedeloth,

All the gen2/3 UAPs can work as a mesh, the UAP AC M can be used as a normal UAP. The UMA-D is a directional antenna for the UAP AC M.

Well, then you can better put them against the wall pointing to the middle.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Aha, okay, got it! I should have bought those last year then :-) I'll see if I can sqeeze those in the budget.

As for placement, same as I proposed but directed towards the audience?

Highlighted
Kudos: 71
Solutions: 19

I'd think you would get more Radiation engergy if the AP ware mounted vertically. Because facing down, you are getting 1/4 of the coverage, if mounted in the connor and 1/2, if mounted on the side.

check this

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns#PRO%20over...

I am not sure about latency when you have 100 clients on the radio, so I would suggest take an backup AC-Pro just in case.  reduce Tx power in 2.4G and manually set channel on each AP for both band. enable band steering, and maybe set minimum RSSI as well.

Let us know what sort of latency you actually get as it is intereting to know.

UEWA, MTCNA, MTCTCE

[ Edited ]

Hello @daedeloth,

Mount them like you would mount them on a wall pointing to the audience.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Oh, I was completel wrong, I thought the radiation pattern was more flat. Vertically does indeed seem better.

Maybe I'll get one extra directional antenna extra to use in the front, and the two ufo's on the side.

Hello @daedeloth,

Let us know how things go!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1132
Solutions: 191

These two APs should do what you want. Here are some valuable tuning tips:

- enabled bandsteering towards 5G

- set 2G to medium and 5G to high power

- configure the "WLAN group" with a load balancing value of 80

- enable the advanced features and then enable "Multicast and Broadcast" filtering

- go into the RATE AND BEACON controls and set 2G to 12 Mbps and 5G to 24 Mbps (also enforce the clients)