Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 25

5.9.29 Update - lots of devices disconnected

2 days ago we updated our 67 UniFi servers from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29

Since then we've had several complaints that devices disconnected since the upgrade.

Several of my own sites have disconnected devices as well.

Wondering if this happened to others too, and what can be done to prevent this in the future?

UniFi, UNMS, and UCRM cloud hosting $5-15/mo https://hostifi.net
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1147
Solutions: 203

Re: 5.9.29 Update - lots of devices disconnected

@HostiFi especially as an MSP I recommend to test, test, test. The best way to prevent issues at that scale.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Details on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

I have a site where the USG is now stuck in Adopting. And my Switch it totally missing. It does not show offline, it is just gone.  it is up because it powers all APs and the Cloudkey. 

What is very strange. Everything is up. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 25

I have a system in place for testing, I roll out the update to my own 3 servers first and if it looks good I push it out to everyone.

It seems the device disconnects happened a few days afterwards tho

I would expect better from a “stable” release
UniFi, UNMS, and UCRM cloud hosting $5-15/mo https://hostifi.net
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

The USG that was in a repeat Adopting came back fine. I am still missing a switch. As stated above, it is online and working. It is just not in the Dashboards. What is even stranger, the CLIENT does not show Swtich / Port. It shows the LAN connection on USG. 

Established Member
Kudos: 250
Solutions: 32

@egarrison- Its not strange at all that the devices are still up. The controller has nothing to do with them working. If you don't have guest access enabled and you don't want the stats that it can give you from the USG, then you don't even need to run a controller. Thats the beauty of it. If the controller dies, devices keep working.
Established Member
Kudos: 250
Solutions: 32

@HostiFi- Jumping that much between upgrades, did you go through any of the sites having issues and check the SSH authentication section in the controller-> settings area? It is possible that it either turned itself off or got hosed and it doesn't have the correct creds in there anymore.

I would do a sweep of the settings in the controller for those sites and see if anything has changed. I know sometimes if I upgrade, my inWall AP decides to put its wifi back to "enabled" when I don't want them to be.

The controller has a mind of its own sometimes so it working for a while and then not, isn't a weird thing.