Established Member
Kudos: 434
Solutions: 60
Accepted Solution

802.3af PoE injector for UAP-AC-IW

I am looking for a PoE injector that will power the UAP-AC-IW. I have an old 3Com model PW130 that is 802.3af, datasheet here: http://datasheet.octopart.com/PW130RB4800N01-Ault-datasheet-42038.pdf that has the following pin-config:

POE.png

Alternatively, I also have a PowerDsine 3001G injector, 
'PowerDsine's 3001G Power over Ethernet (PoE) single port Midspan (PoE injector) offers a compact and cost effective, fully IEEE 802.3af compliant solution for remote powering of wireless LAN (WLAN) access points, and other low port density installations. The 3001G PoE Midspan eliminates the need for external power supply and its associated AC/DC power cabling, providing a compact, affordable, safe and reliable power solution over existing Ethernet infrastructure.'

I know these are only Fast Ethernet, so will not provide gigabit connection to the UAP-AC-IW, but are either ok to use for a Fast Ethernet connection + power to the UAP-AC-IW?

Many thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10650
Solutions: 1655

Re: 802.3af PoE injector for UAP-AC-IW

I tested powering one with a standard Mode B 48V Ubiquiti passive PoE.  Worked fine and passed through the PoE as well.  Being that it is passive and not sensing, the passthrough would be always on.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10650
Solutions: 1655

I tested powering one with a standard Mode B 48V Ubiquiti passive PoE.  Worked fine and passed through the PoE as well.  Being that it is passive and not sensing, the passthrough would be always on.

Have you discovered a solution for this? I too am looking for a POE power brick to drive my UAP-AC-IW

I recently purchased a POE-24-12W-G , and it does not work. Perhaps im doing something wrong tho (?)

SuperUser
Kudos: 11389
Solutions: 698
Contributions: 1

The AC-IW needs 48V PoE, so any passive or active 802.3af/at unit should work.   UBNT makes several - any that come with the UAPs that run on 48V, and most other vendor's 802.3af/at units should work as well.   THe 24V ones will not work.   And please don't try the big 50V AF PoE units - 4 pair 50V power would not make the unit happy..    Also any standard af/at PoE switrch will work as well.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

Thank you very much!
Established Member
Kudos: 434
Solutions: 60

@Logik - just to be clear, if you do power with 48v Passive, as @LLigetfa mentions, the PoE passthrough will also pass 48v passive, so be careful what you plug in, and make sure it supports 48v passive. I don't think there is a config option to switch off PoE passthrough on this port.

On the good side, this makes it very flexible in terms of what PoE output you want from this port, but there is a risk if someone plugs something in here not knowing there is always going to be the 48v running through it.

@eejimm & @LLigetfa - please correct me if I am wrong on this, but I think it's worth making this point very clear.

Thanks Alex, good to know.

I picked up the POE-48V from UBNT yesterday, and it worked like a charm!

Strangely, perhaps OT (?) My server was not able to pick up the new AP within the network, but another computer could. I ended up running Unifi from that PC and set up the AP. However, still not sure why my Server didnt pick up the AP..