Solutions: 3

Re: A Step-by-Step Walkthrough for Setting up Amazon Cloud Servers

You have to insert your EC2 url where it says 'unifiserverIP' I usually use the Unifi Discover utility, insert the EC2 address on the 'Manage' section, and then adopt the AP via the cloud controller

[ Edited ]

thanks!

did this trick after transfering the backup file from my local pc to the ec2 controller and now it shows on my new controller

set-inform http://UniFiServerIP:8080/inform

hello 

I have got problem with 

Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E:

Unable to locate package unifi

ubuntu@ip-xxxxxxxxx~$

Just can't find package - all steps were successful 

Regards

Michal

Kudos: 138
Solutions: 2

Hey All,

On our website we have posted a more up-to-date tutorial on this that you guys can follow.  

http://www.dashos.net/getting-the-most-out-of-unifi/

First of all, there are not enough "kudos" for this excellent 'walk through'... cannot say thanks enough.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions :

1. I've been running the Controller ver 4.0, now 4.6.3 - on one laptop, controlling 5 "diffusely" located Unify APs.

They have all been individually 'adopted' to this laptop when I visited the various parts of our campus. They are all working well... I can walk into any campus building and 'load' the controller, see the local (already adopted) AP and check performance, etc.. IN ORDER to adopt into my 'new' AWS based controller, I will have to reset all of these and then 're-discover' them locally, put in the "elastic IP" to redirect the 'adoption' to the cloud... all that is correct?

2. Leaving the EC2 management console? And SSH - restarting... When I want to re-access the management console, does it start with the AWS management console and "launch instance"? Or? I guess I am not sure of the 'restart' steps or even if anything needs to be re-launched, or re-connected in that management console?

Thanks very much

Doc

I'm following this guide and althought it is not 100% exactly than what I'm seing while configuring the service I've been able to do it up to the point where I need to update the version of the controller through SSH.

When "Connect toyour Instance" windows opens, it doesn't show a choice for a Java SSH Client. The only choice is using a remote desktop client. Any ideas? 

Never mind, I found the problem. I didn't selet North West Virginia.

[ Edited ]

Well, I think I spoke too fast. I didn't run the update because I had to go out for about an hour. I just got back and tried to do the update, and I'm at the same situation. When trying to connect to the instance there is not choice for a Java SSH Client.

I'm lost, any ideas?

connect to instance.jpg

OK, I found the problem. Some how my settings default to US West (oregon) from US East (N.Virginia). I put it back tand now the Java SSH Client show.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

My struggle continues. I launch the Java SSH Client, but doesn't go any further than this. 

MindTerm.jpg

Assuming you went to the updated instructions :

http://www.dashos.net/getting-the-most-out-of-unifi/          then I would mention there are some steps in the writing that are not obvious "as a step"... they are mentioned more or less in passing but require action.

Once I figured that out all came out nicely... I still have questions but have not had time to really work with the AWS instance because other network/managment requirements are keeping me too busy.

Try re-reading that 'improved' link... it worked perfectly for me and I 'did' have another instance installed (improperly) ... I am not a wizz at this in any shape or way and SSH is a 'recall' as well. Good luck with it...

Hmmm... stumped myself on this one. 

Trying to connect ssh to the instance for the first time and it doesnt appear to find my host key. Tried in safari and chrome (with npapi enabled). Tried starting from square 1 and creating a second instance just in case it was my mistake in initial setup.

It almost looks to me like mindterm is not being allowed to create the directories that hold the info but Im really not sure. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 12.09.15 PM.png
Kudos: 138

We have an updated version of the tutorial available here http://www.dashos.net/getting-the-most-out-of-unifi/

Hey Brady

Funny to run into you here. Im a URC guy too. Was working with Justin last night trying to figure it out but still havent had any luck.

As exampled by the 'first', just an "improved" version. thanks for the work and effort in this issue.

I have a 'question' relative to uploading multiple Unify APs to the instance... "currently" all are managed on one Laptop (each AP is distant from each other in a wide spread campus, and none are 'interconnected' in any way, that is why I use the laptop for management, just walk into the various offices and start it up to see "that" specific AP and stats)... one Laptop.

I have two brand new Unify APs and plan to start "rotating" out the older ones... by that I mean... start up and discover and upload to the AWS 'instance' the new one (with identical SSIDs, passwords, etc for the 'first' campus' use) and confirm that it is uploaded to the cloud based management system on AWS. Turn it off, take it to the 'campus', disconnect that 'old AP', connect and start the new one...

Then I will reset to default the recovered AP and go thru the same process for the next campus use? Does that sound like it will work?

Thanks very much

Kudos: 48

Hi.

Am trying this on AWS (newbie here so please be gentle!)

Am getting the follow error when running sudo apt-get update:

"W: Failed to fetch http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/distros/deb/ubuntu/dists/ubuntu/Release Unable to find expected entry 'ubiquit/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)"

Any thoughts?

Thanks

[ Edited ]

After leaving this in the back burner for a while I decided to give it a try again this morning.

I was able to install the 2.3.9 withouth a problem, but my problem was not being able to update ussing the SSH in the browser. I ended up using Putty for the upgrade and the controller upgraded fine, but now I have a new issue.

After the upgrade of the controller the username and password are not rejected, but i'm not allow to log on either. If I use a username and password that are not valid, I get an "invalid username and password" message, but with the actual username and password the login page acts like it its loging in but goes back to the login page.

I requested to change the password clicking on the "Forget password" option just in case, but after two hours haven't receive a notification yet, Im assuming that this must be an automated process.

I also Reboot it, Stop & Start the instsance, but still no go.

Any ideas?

Kudos: 160
Solutions: 4

@bradynapier wrote:

Hey Mohawk, that'd be easy...

1. Activate Guest Portal and Guest Portal Customization

2. Get a FTP Client supporting SFTP (I use Terminal on OSX but Cyberduck should work too)

3. For password, find your .pem file

4. For login use "ubuntu" 

5. For host use the IP of your instance

Once you are in you navigate to

• /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/<site-to-edit>/portal/

NOTE: This differs from the standard documentation in-that you didn't have the "SITES" folders previously - it would just be /data/portal/ 

Edit the index.html etc and follow the current ubiquiti documentation from there

Wow, I was exactly searching for this!

Let me try now.

Kudos: 160
Solutions: 4

@bradynapier wrote:

Hey Mohawk, that'd be easy...

1. Activate Guest Portal and Guest Portal Customization

2. Get a FTP Client supporting SFTP (I use Terminal on OSX but Cyberduck should work too)

3. For password, find your .pem file

4. For login use "ubuntu" 

5. For host use the IP of your instance

Once you are in you navigate to

• /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/<site-to-edit>/portal/

NOTE: This differs from the standard documentation in-that you didn't have the "SITES" folders previously - it would just be /data/portal/ 

Edit the index.html etc and follow the current ubiquiti documentation from there

You said,

For password, find your .pem file

But the .pem file is a long code. 

Is that the password ?

I dont think so. 

What am I missing ?

Established Member
Kudos: 608
Solutions: 97

In a sense it is your password.  You need to use the -i option.  command would look like this:

ssh -i "???.pem" ubuntu@IPOfController