Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Re: A Step-by-Step Walkthrough for Setting up Amazon Cloud Servers

When thru the videos and things seemed to work well TILL I got to the Adoption process.

I used the Discovery tool and my AP did show up. I performed the Inform as described to get things connected to the AWS cloud  controller.

Next I tried pinging the cloud public IP (and the Elastic IP) but they all timed out. So, going any farther in the process just would not yield any results. For fun I did bring up the cloud controller but of course there are no APs PENDING.

Been stuck on this for a few days now and can't seem to find a solution. Any help is apprecaited.

I would say to double, triple check the url that you are using during the inform step...be sure that it points to the publi ip address and port of your aws controller

Kudos: 34

[ Edited ]

Lets see if somebody can help me, I have my controller on AWS, and I want to reboot AP´s via SSH.

I configure OK the putty software, once inside; ubuntu@ip-10-200-25-xx-xx:$

I want to connect to one of my AP to reboot it, (It´s disconnected now and I don´t know the reason). How can I do that?   I understand that I connected to AWS Controller but how can I connect to one of the AP´s? (192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101.....)

Just 2 more questions:

How can I control the bandwith used?. Looking the controller I can see if the AP´s are connected, but how can I know if bandwith is OK, if clients navigate correctly, if router is running OK?

How can I check the AP latency?

Thanks for your help :-)

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

Been wanting to do this on my VPS host but I was always concerned over the huge ram requirement of Java and MongoDB combined, are you guys running this fine on the micro instance? What's the RAM usage

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

I want to migrate from a PC instance to an Amazon server can you do an upgrade or perhaps a backup/restore from the PC to amazon? Particularly in relation to vouchers!!! Does everone need to put in voucher codes again?

Do you have to disconnect(?) the APs from the PC instance before the switch over / reconnect?

Do firewalls get in the way of this process?

I can't get passed step 3. I get asked to create a .mindterm home directory & hostkeys directory. After I click yes to create both directries, it ends up saying that theres no hostkeys directory and if I want to conitinue anyways. Please help...

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 9.25.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 9.24.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 9.24.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 9.24.24 PM.png
Kudos: 1

onestopgeek - maybe try to use PuTTy. I tried the browser based java app at first as well and was having issues. Once I got PuTTy and followed Amazon's clearly written instructions on getting it all setup and connected, following the step by step recipe was a snap. I had one little issue at the end of it all when the controller wouldn't start because it couldn't find java, but a quick google solution brought it home for me and I'm golden now.

Jeff

Hello

Thanks for this tutorial. Its very clear to me now.
I have already running the Amazon server and got to the WELCOME screen on it. The thing is that my AP is already adopted to another controller which is running on a local computer.

I went to my computer, opened the "Unifi-Discover" tool and changed the inform url. I got the following error:
"This device is already managed. Please reset the device to factory before perform L3 adoption".

Can you please advice if there is somethig i can do in order to transfer my current setup to the amazon server? i dont want to reset the device and go through all the process again.

thanks so much!

Kudos: 131
Solutions: 2

You guys should absolutely set this up for your gust portal as well!  Runs awesome!

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/UIKit-Styled-UniFi-Captive-Portal-Template/m-p/905986#U905986

Kudos: 2

Thanks for this guide -- I just followed it but the 8 GB storage instance that Amazon creates turns out to be too small for 3.2.1. I had to increase the size for the MongoDB to stop failing on startup.

Other than that, awesome guide!

Solutions: 3

Thanks for the awesome walk through.

I am getting stuck on the step where you enter the public DNS. I copy and paste it and add https:// and :8443/ but it keeps returning that website is unavailable. When I SSH to server, I can confirm that Unifi is running. I posted this problem on AWS forum as well but didnt get any help. Thanks.

Kudos: 2

What if you try https://<your public dns goes here>:8443/manage/

or maybe try https://<your public dns goes here>:8080 and see if that works?

Emerging Member

Hi
I have mikrotik hotspot in APs side,
If conect the unifi in adsl modem all it's ok but if I conect in hotspot mikrotik, is down. I have binding all unifi in mikrotik but it's down.
Any help ???
Emerging Member

Thanx a million for your walkthrough it has been of great help!

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem like spenser. Do you solve it?

Where is your instance running? Had the same problem when I setup my instance in US east.. When I set it up in US west oregon everything was working fine.

Kudos: 67
Solutions: 4

If you stop the instance and restart it... the IP changes... figures.

But the public DNS changes too!!!

That is gonna be an issue.

Back to testing I go.

This is a Ubuntu Server 14 amd64 AMI, running from ireland, with UniFi Controller installed following steps of http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-3-2-1-is-released/ba-p/872360

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

You can setup an Elastic IP to keep a static IP with the instance. It's free if your instance is online.