Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

AC Lite Install

So I just bought a AC lite.  I will be running ethernet to the AP LIte from a switch that will provide the PoE. This is the only AP i'm installing in the house to get better coverage and speeds on the other end of the house. 

I'm planning on downloading the software and do the setup through my PC.  However internet access for the PC is through antenna and not a direct ethernet connection.

Will I need to run a cable from the modem to the PC to get the AP Lite setup?

Thanks,

JP

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

Re: AC Lite Install

It'll probably work. The AP Lite will get a DHCP addr from your router and if it and your computer are on the same subnet (without firewall stuff in the way) your PC running the controller should be able to detect it and then adopt and configure it.

Worst case, you can cable your PC to the AP Lite (through the included POE plug) and configure it that way.

View solution in original post

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Hello @jp4lsu,

Welcome to the community!

Never tried running the controller software on a wireless connection.

Do you already have an existing wireless network? You could try it ( make sure to disable the firewall )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

It'll probably work. The AP Lite will get a DHCP addr from your router and if it and your computer are on the same subnet (without firewall stuff in the way) your PC running the controller should be able to detect it and then adopt and configure it.

Worst case, you can cable your PC to the AP Lite (through the included POE plug) and configure it that way.

Hello @jp4lsu,

Welcome to the community!

Never tried running the controller software on a wireless connection.

Do you already have an existing wireless network? You could try it ( make sure to disable the firewall )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Thanks for the info. I previously thought about what you are saying but was wondering, will that configuration hold after I unplug the AP from network/power and then do the final install in the ceiling and reconnect it all again?
Thanks,
JP

Thanks Glenn.
I'll give it a shot and see if it works. I run a wireless connection to the PC because I dont have an cat5 port on the wall it is on.

I only have a Uverse modem/router with no other AP's. The AC Lite will be my first AP.

Hello @jp4lsu,

Please keep me posted, I'm currently not able to test it for you. ( think it should work )

I highly recommend using a static IP on the controller device.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Thanks Glenn,
I may try doing it with the wireless connection in the PC and see what happens.
If it doesn't I'll run a cat5 from an outlet to the PC and run the config on the AP.

Thanks again.
JP

Hello @jp4lsu,

Sure, you're welcome!

Please let me know how things go!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask another question about configurations.

If I config the AP using the PC prior to my final install in the ceiling, will i need to reconfig the AP again when I unplug the Cat5 from the AP to perform the final installation. 

I'm just nervous about drilling into the ceiling without knowing everything will work.

Thanks,

JP

Hello @jp4lsu,

Should work if it's still on the same subnet.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Gotcha...thanks.

Yes the initial configuration will be cat5 coming from a switch with PoE.  Once the final install is done, the AP will be plugged into the same switch.

I wasn't sure if I would lose all configuration settings when the AP is uplugged from the cat5 PoE.

Thanks,

JP

Hello @jp4lsu,

It will keep it's configuration unless you reset it.

Regards,

Glenn R.

So Glenn, I tried going through Controller Setup and configuration using the wireless connection on my PC.

After inputting SSID name, passwords, etc and selected finish, it gave me the error of "Incorrect Network" ID.

I then did an wired connection and really did the setup process and it worked.

In both cases.the firewall was.turned off.  

Just thought I would let you know, it appears that the connection needs to be wired during the configuration.

Thanks,

JP

Hello @jp4lsu,

Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

Regards,

Glenn R.