AC-Lite stops communicating to Unifi Server

I'm running Unifi 5.9.29 on a Ubuntu 16.04 VM

4 APs:

UAP-AC-Pro

UAP-AC-Mesh

UAP-AC-Lite 

UAP-AC-Lite

All are running firmware 3.9.54.9473

It seems every day or two the Lites stop talking to the Unifi server.  They report "connected" but no clients listed in Unifi anymore.  The devices then report 0 clients.  The actual clients are still on the WiFi network (I have between 18-25 at any given time - I can access the internet or use the clients ... I know they're on the network).  

Unifi has reported "rogue access point" when this happens.  I can't guarantee this is every time.

If I power cycle the devices they'll come back online.  I can defintely not connect to them via Unifi.  IE: a restart or a force provision will never complete - only the power cycle reconnects them.  I have factory reset and set-inform from the command line many times.  

It's only the Lites that do this - the Pro and Mesh work no problems.  No issues with the other devices.  There are 3 other sites on this controller and no issues at those sites so I'm doubting it's an issue with the controller / connectivity. No custom network settings (all reserved IPs). 

This isn't missiion critical as the connectivity doesn't change.  It's more an annoyance than anything else.  BUT I'd still like it working properly.

Accepted Solutions
Solutions: 1

Re: AC-Lite stops communicating to Unifi Server

Just to close this out.

I've sorted this one.  Partially doing some more looking and partially some hints from other recent issues reported in this forum.

Checking the "info" on the devices --> I was getting various disconnected, unable to find host entries and other similar issues.  

My unifi server is on my local LAN and the external clients connect no problem.  I've done 2 things that have fixed this.

1 - Validated DNS internally.  I could always ping unifi.x.com from the devices even when they were disconnected.  Odd.  BUT their default DNS was 8.8.8.8 (which resolved the unifi.x.com to my external IP, not the IP of the server in the LAN end) so I switched to my internal DNS first.  Some better success.  Let it wait for a couple of days and then back to disconnected. 

2 - I then hit an issue with a decrypt error on an AP trying to readopt it.  More odd.  I updated the FQDN on the server <which I had never fully completed before; never needed to until this started to be honest> and it adpopted no problem.  

I have *no* idea if I've stumbled into a solution along the way or why this stopped working, and now has been for ~2 weeks.  Maybe none of this is related and it's just all because I stood on my left leg and closed my right eye and crossed my fingers when making the changes.  I am still running the same Unifi server version and same FW on the devices ... <I downgraded and re-upgraded again as well in this exercise>.

Either way - it's now been solid for over 2 weeks.  

Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 3059
Solutions: 819

Hello @PatrickHulst,

Have you tried older firmware?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

@AmazedMender16 Sorry on the wait.  It was in the usual "working for 3 days" phase until today.  I'm currently downgrading to 3.9.42.9152 and will try again for one of the devices.

The same model (purchased at same time) exist in other sites with no problems so I wasn't thinking this would be an idea.  We'll see how this goes.

Thanks.

14 hours up and somewhere between 0 and 14 the device has lost connectivity and is reporting zero clients.  I know it's still working (as I've unplugged all other APs and my kids are happily streaming Netflix on their iPads).  

No alerts in the dashboard about rogue access points.  

Any other good ideas?

Hello @PatrickHulst,

Do they showup as disconnected?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Thanks again @AmazedMender16

The APs show as active.If I add the "clients" column to the dashboard it shows 0.

When I flip to the "clients" dashboard, all the clients that are using that AP are gone.  Clients on other APs are listed.

It's not really affecting performance / usability.  They all have full network access (IE: can access the hardwired servers/printers, internet, etc).  And it's my home network so it's not a massive problem for me.

Someone else running this at a production site - it would be a problem.  

Even better - as I check the dashboard this morning all 4 access points are reporting correctly and all 19 devices I'm expecting to see are reporting.  No changes whatsoever since last night (except a solid night of sleep for me).

Hello @PatrickHulst,

Never seen that happening before...The server is not blocking it right?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

I wish I could say yes it's being blocked.  

It's a local Ubuntu VM with *only* Unifi loaded on it.  Installed following the documented install method; no additional firewall rules added etc. No additional applications added to the base server install 

Internally I've got 2 VLans (one for the kids wifi and one for all others) but no rules between.  Only reason for the vlan is to use a different DHCP-provided DNS server for the kids (for some level of content filtering through OpenDNS).  There are 2 wifi networks defined in unifi - one for each vlan.  The kids network also has a Disney Circle so I can upset the kids by hitting the pause button.  ;-) 

Otherwise I've got no rules, no traffic blocked between vlans.  <The printers and servers and Chromecast devices are all on the non-kids network and they have full access to this stuff.>

All the network gear is on a UPS with AVR; I live in a town where the power isn't exactly great so the generator kicks on relatively often so UPS's are a must on the electronics components and they get replaced about every 5 years (and batteries every 2 1/2 or so).

The 2 Lite APs and the Mesh are using POE from an EdgeRouter X-SFP.  I've swapped devices on the ports on this to see if the issue follows port or device.  (It follows device.)  

It's "random" (and we know computers aren't random, unless they're in a dying phase ... in which case maybe these 2 APs are dying). 

Hello @PatrickHulst,

You could for giggles download a settings only backup and reinstall UniFi ( import the backup in the setup wizard )

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Just to close this out.

I've sorted this one.  Partially doing some more looking and partially some hints from other recent issues reported in this forum.

Checking the "info" on the devices --> I was getting various disconnected, unable to find host entries and other similar issues.  

My unifi server is on my local LAN and the external clients connect no problem.  I've done 2 things that have fixed this.

1 - Validated DNS internally.  I could always ping unifi.x.com from the devices even when they were disconnected.  Odd.  BUT their default DNS was 8.8.8.8 (which resolved the unifi.x.com to my external IP, not the IP of the server in the LAN end) so I switched to my internal DNS first.  Some better success.  Let it wait for a couple of days and then back to disconnected. 

2 - I then hit an issue with a decrypt error on an AP trying to readopt it.  More odd.  I updated the FQDN on the server <which I had never fully completed before; never needed to until this started to be honest> and it adpopted no problem.  

I have *no* idea if I've stumbled into a solution along the way or why this stopped working, and now has been for ~2 weeks.  Maybe none of this is related and it's just all because I stood on my left leg and closed my right eye and crossed my fingers when making the changes.  I am still running the same Unifi server version and same FW on the devices ... <I downgraded and re-upgraded again as well in this exercise>.

Either way - it's now been solid for over 2 weeks.  

Thanks for all the help.

Highlighted

Hello @PatrickHulst,

Thanks for reporting back!

Happy new year Ubnt Banana

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG