Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

ALWAYS get a 169.254.227.x IP address on new Wireless Networks

USG Pro 4 with AP-AC-Pro

I have scoured the forums and tried every solution I could come across. I've seen the problem a lot, but every solution offered I have tried doesn't work.

I have an existing non-tagged Wireless Network (192.168.1.x) that works fine.

I want to create a new wireless network, 192.168.100.x, DHCP enabled, VLAN 100.

Any time I try, when I connect to the SSID from a client I get a 169.254.227.x IP address.

It just simply won't offer up DHCP.

What am I doing wrong?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 532
Solutions: 19

Re: ALWAYS get a 169.254.227.x IP address on new Wireless Networks

You definitely need to have VLAN100 created in your router(s)/switch(es) and also need to have a DHCP server on this network somewhere, as well as making sure you're tagging 100 on the port the AP is plugged in to (as well as any upstream switch ports all the way to your core).

And to confirm, 169.254.x.x just means there was no DHCP server available so it self-assigned an address.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 88
Solutions: 20

[ Edited ]

Edit: misread OP.  Thought the AP was getting the wrong address -- it's the client.  Hmm, 192.168.1.20 is the fallback address that a UAP would have if it failed to get a DHCP lease.  Maybe a rogue DHCP server?

Established Member
Kudos: 243
Solutions: 11

@RoverRadio wrote:

USG Pro 4 with AP-AC-Pro

I have scoured the forums and tried every solution I could come across. I've seen the problem a lot, but every solution offered I have tried doesn't work.

I have an existing non-tagged Wireless Network (192.168.1.x) that works fine.

I want to create a new wireless network, 192.168.100.x, DHCP enabled, VLAN 100.

Any time I try, when I connect to the SSID from a client I get a 169.254.227.x IP address.

It just simply won't offer up DHCP.

What am I doing wrong?

have you checked that the Port the UAP-AC is connecting to is also tagget to be able to get info from that DHCP?

from my belief you cant "ONLY" make a ssid with VLAN but you also have to create the VLAN network

when doing the "networks" make it a corporate or a guest

corporate= communication across network automatically

guest= no cross communication

both can be used and firewall rules can be implemented to allow/deni communication Man Happy

the "VLAN ONLY" network you can create is something i have no clue of what its good for to be honest Man Happy

Kudos: 58
Solutions: 8

169.254.x.x means no DHCP server responded and the client self-assigned an IP.

Do you have VLAN 100 created and tagged on the switch interface the AP is connected to?

Man, I am really struggling here.

VLAN100 is cretaed (via Coporate Network, set to VLAN100).

The port the AP is on is set to ALL.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2112
Solutions: 400

@RoverRadio wrote:

Man, I am really struggling here.

VLAN100 is cretaed (via Coporate Network, set to VLAN100).

The port the AP is on is set to ALL.

What UniFi equipment do you currently have? If you don't have the switch and router configured with the AP, then the networks tab inside the UniFi controller won't do anything.

You need your switches and routers correctly configured to use the wireless network like you're configuring it there.

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br

[ Edited ]

USG Pro 4, AP AC Pro, UniFi 48 POE switch. Everything else is working correctly aside from this.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2112
Solutions: 400

@RoverRadio ca you post a few screenshots of your config? Networks tab, related network, wireless networks, everything related?

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br

Sure thing:

networks_tab.PNGtest100n.PNGwireless_networks.PNGtest100w.PNG

Kudos: 532
Solutions: 19

You definitely need to have VLAN100 created in your router(s)/switch(es) and also need to have a DHCP server on this network somewhere, as well as making sure you're tagging 100 on the port the AP is plugged in to (as well as any upstream switch ports all the way to your core).

And to confirm, 169.254.x.x just means there was no DHCP server available so it self-assigned an address.

Isn't VLAN100 setup correctly (see screengrabs)? Thanks

Oh, wait! I made sure all the ports were tagged, but failed to check the SFP+ - was set to LAN only. Switching to ALL fixed. Thanks for the heads-up!

[ Edited ]

Have found this thread after frustratingly experiencing a similar issue.  I have 1 device which gets this ip4 address whenever my UniFi Switch is restarted (firmware upgrade, temp power loss, etc); unfortunately, it's my alarm system panel, a Honeywell Lyric which is WiFi only and I cannot static assign it an address directly on the device.  I only have Ubiquity network gear and a few dumb TP-Link switches, EdgeRouter(1)->UniFi Switch(1)->UniFi AP-AC-Pro(4)->Lyric(1).  No USG gateway.  I have 2 LANs defined on the router, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.4.x (guest/IoT) as a VLAN of 1001 with the router providing DHCP services authoritatively for both networks.  The WAPs have 2 SSIDs for each LAN and I've firewalled the 4.x LAN from being able to connect to the 1.x LAN, but allow the opposite to connect for management purposes.  I've configured the 4.x clients to flow through port 1 on the Switch which is configured for the 1001 VLAN profile and a different port for the 1.x LAN profile.  I've also configured the UniFi Controller settings for the LANs with DHCP guarding referencing the corresponding router addresses just in case I had a rogue.  All my other 4.x and 1.x clients work just perfectly as expected except for this singular device which I'd simply replace if I could, but it's a rather significant investment and I like it alot otherwise.  When I configure this client to join the LAN SSID, it joins to it just fine and gets the reserved router's DHCP address in the 1.x network and it stays connected for weeks.  If I have a power outage or update the switch's firmware, then within a minute or so, it reverts to 169.254.9.104 address; so, somehow it can't find the DHCP server which I don't understand how not; this doesn't happen when the router is restarted, just the switch which I discovered today while updating the WAP/Switch firmware to the latest version.  I can recreate this at-will by simply restarting the switch.  I know this is difficult to diagnose this way, but am appreciative to any experts out there that can point me in the right direction; thanks in advance!  Attached config j[eg files.

apSSID_IoT.jpg
apSSIDnot_IoT.jpg
client.jpg
switchPort1.jpg
switchPort2.jpg