Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Accepted Solution

AP-AC-LR and 8-60W Switch

I'm considering buying a 8-60W switch to replace my noname unmanaged switch, but it sounds like the PoE on this switch won't power my AP-AC-LR because the AP doesn't use 802.3af. Is this correct?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Warning-UAP-AC-LITE-and-UAP-AC-LR-with-UniFi-Switch-on-...

That post makes it sound like I can get an adapter so that that AP-AC-LR will work on 802.3af, but I can't send PMs on these forums for some reason, so I have no idea how to get in touch with @UBNT-APieper or @UBNT-Cody.

How should I proceed?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 775
Solutions: 41
Contributions: 1

Re: AP-AC-LR and 8-60W Switch

Yes- thanks for reaching out. Got your message/tag and will get you taken care of. Important thing is to validate date codes of UAP-AC-LR/UAP-AC-LITEs when used with UniFi Switches- and make sure the date code is older (lower) than:
UAP-AC-LITE: D/C:1625(G),1624(K) and lower.
UAP-AC-LR: D/C:1625(G),1623(K) and lower.

Units later than this will not be at risk of being damaged by this issue. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 278
Solutions: 37

The latest version of the UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Lite do support 802.11af.

But . . . you will need to contact the supplier to verify they are the new updated version of the AP that they are selling.

They messed up on these two products.
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 4

@JimBob are you sure about the 802.3af support? 

where did you read about it?

Thanks.

about @edwardreed81 if you get the 24v passive UAP, you need the instant gigabit poe converter: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/instant/Instant_802.3af_Gigabit_PoE_Converters_DS.pdf

Greetings

Mauro from Italy

TECH Service

[ Edited ]

I've had the AP for a while now (super happy with it btw), so is there some way to figure out if my specific AP is the new or old version and whether it'll work with this switch?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1230
Solutions: 99

[ Edited ]

@edwardreed81@PCMauro

From this link and scroll down.  I just pasted the images to see them eassier as they are from the link.

Also, the new AC-LR has boardrevision is 33 compared to the original which is 14.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Reasons-to-get-a-UAP-AC-PRO-over-a-UAP-AC-LR-now-that-t...

IMG_3128.JPG

UAP-AC-LC.jpg

Established Member
Kudos: 278
Solutions: 37

@PCMauro wrote:

are you sure about the 802.3af support? 

where did you read about it?

On this forum and reddit.

We assume Ubiquiti is waiting until all the non-802.11af versions are sold and removed form the supply line to announce this. Frown2

[ Edited ]

Ok so since this update to the UAP-AC-LR is just now happening, I have to assume I have an old 24V one and I'll need an adapter. Does anyone know if they are still giving them away like it sounds in that previous thread I linked? Like I said, I can't send PMs on this forum for whatever reason.

EDIT: Looks like I can now send PMs. I have no idea why.

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@edwardreed81

If I recall, the PMs may not be enabled to prevent spam bots.  Usually a 10 post count or something but looks like you already have yours now considering you just registered like an hour ago.

I think they are still giving them away.  Lets check with @UBNT-Brandon.

[ Edited ]

Ok thanks for the info. I never had the need to register before since I was able to find all the help I needed through other peoples' questions/answers. Does the @ thing notify the person that they were mentioned? I sent a PM to @UBNT-APieper as well requesting info about the adapter.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1370
Solutions: 238

@edwardreed81 wrote:

@OK thanks for the info. Does the @ thing notify the person that they were mentioned? I sent at PM to @UBNT-APieper as well requesting info about the adapter.

@edwardreed81 CorrectIcon Wink

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Veteran Member

Yes the @ mention does work.  Make sure you get the correct person.  Since you sent a PM to UBNT-APieper, give him sometime to respond.

Yep I'm in no rush. My network is working fine right now, this is just driven by a constant need to tinker...

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 775
Solutions: 41
Contributions: 1

Yes- thanks for reaching out. Got your message/tag and will get you taken care of. Important thing is to validate date codes of UAP-AC-LR/UAP-AC-LITEs when used with UniFi Switches- and make sure the date code is older (lower) than:
UAP-AC-LITE: D/C:1625(G),1624(K) and lower.
UAP-AC-LR: D/C:1625(G),1623(K) and lower.

Units later than this will not be at risk of being damaged by this issue. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 1

@UBNT-APieper I just purchased my US-8-60W on 07/11/17 and it is not powering my AP-AC-LR. What are my best options for getting my home network up and running?
Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@ngsclark

Did the AC-LR product box have the blue sticker to indicate that it supports 802.3af?  What is the date code of the unit?

It sound like you may need the instant adapter or use the supplied injector if is is the earlier version of the unit.

Kudos: 1

@Sango

I purchased the AP last summer through Amazon so I wasn't sure at that time, or even last week when I purchased the switch, that there was already a chance for obsolescence with the AC line of AP's. I have all of the numbers off the back of the AP, unfortunately no box, but I do not see where the date code is.

Veteran Member

@ngsclark

The date code is part of the full MAC address on the back of the AP.

Since you said you purchased it last Summer, it is most likely the older version because the new one was not out until late last year. This can be further confirmed because the updated version has the look and feel of the AC-HD.

@UBNT-APieper

Is the Gigabit Instant 802.3af Adapter giveaway still active? I just bought the US-8-60W to (unsuccessfully) power my UAP-AC-LR. Thanks!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Warning-UAP-AC-LITE-and-UAP-AC-LR-with-UniFi-Switch-on-...

@UBNT-Cody I've had an AP-AC-LR since late 2016 and been super happy. We're moving soon and will need more coverage, so I bought an US-8-60W, CK, USG, AP-AC-M-PRO and AP-AC-M -but intended to use the the AC-LR as the wired station.

I had no idea there might be a problem plugging the AP-AC-LR into the US-8-60W. I bought the POE swtich specifically so that it could power the access point. I don't have a spare outlet in the location where the switch and AP reside - I need to be able to use POE (there's no room for a power strip or splitter; i have only two outlets; used to be someone else's router and the POE injector. Now it's teh USG and US-8-60W using the outlets; the AP must get power from the switch or I have to return the whole lot).

May I get access to the adapter that will make it work?

Thank you!

David

Just bought a UniFi US-8-60W to power my 3 UniFi AP AC LRs and NanoStation Loco M2 and discovered to my surprise that they don't work. I had a ToughSwitch 5 Port PoE powering them before and never thought that Ubiquiti wouldn't work with recent Ubiquiti equipment! Are there any more @UBNT-APieper or @UBNT-Cody are there any adapters left for us poor church folk who are also unpaid IT people? Thanks.