Kudos: 332
Solutions: 92

Re: AP-AC Port tagging

You are possibly mixing up "port based VLANs" which is controlled by groups of ports on a switch, and 802.1Q which adds the VLAN as a tag into the Ethernet packet. Also, some vendors have slightly different terminiology which can be confusing when having conversations like this.

I still believe for the port where the UAPs are connected you need:

Untagged, VLAN1 (assuming this is where you want the UAPs to reside)

Tagged, all additional VLANs with which you want to connect SSIDs

-Ross.

The only options I have on the HP Switch is under each VLAN, where I can set each port to No, Tagged, Untagged or Forbid. I can see no option to set VLAN 1 as untagged.

[ Edited ]

So, under VLAN1, why can't you set the ports where you have UAPs connected as "Untagged"?

Are you not able to do this for VLAN1 as it's the default on HP? If so... I'm stuck :s

[ Edited ]

Can you set the PVID per port? This is the primary vlan ID and should be untagged. Screen shot of vlan config maybe? You need to be able to have the port have an untagged vlan for management, along with the tagged vlans for your wireless networks.

sidenote: I used to use Netgear switches and those were a PITA to configure with bad support, we eventually found they came with a bad default config, but after all the issues we had and the age of them we swapped for Cisco small business series. Changing vlans modes would take out everyone on the switch. I now use Cisco small business which are around the same price point with better support.

[ Edited ]

I could remove the 'tagged' port which is set on the three vlans as a test and set it to untagged against the default vlan ID 1 only.

ProCurve vLan.png

Product:Version:

HP J4819A ProCurve Switch 5308xl

E.10.37, ROM E.05.04

Sorry if I missed it, but what port is the AP on?

[ Edited ]

Here is what my vlan settings look like on a cisco. vlan 1 is untagged and primary, this is the management vlan. Vlan 2,6, and 12 are for guest, untrusted devices (BYOD), and trusted computers. Is this also how you are setting your port?

vlan_settings.PNG

[ Edited ]

Here are the instructions for modifying the port per vlan. http://www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/help/hpwnd/webhelp/HPJ4819A/configuration_vlanmodify.htm

Can you not set vlan 1 to untagged on the port with the AP? It seems like you should be able to from the instructions. I dont see any notes saying you can't. Only stipulation is only one untagged vlan per port, so if a different vlan is untagged you'd just want to change it to tagged so the management can reach the AP, then tag all the broadcasting networks.

Sparkymarcopolo,

I agree with Ethanb, pick a port, make VLAN 1 Untagged, VLAN 5 and 6 Tagged.  Plug in the UAP, and it should work.  That's assuming you have DHCP on VLAN 1, otherwise you may need to hunt for it.

[ Edited ]

I have the AP plugged into F17.

This is the port I'm going to set as untagged for vlan 1 and will report back

[ Edited ]

Ok, setting F17 as untagged on vlan 1 and connecting to all the SSID's on the AP-AC worked. I was a little hesitant to do this because of how I observed untagged ports working (e.g. Am I right in saying untagged ports can only be assigned to one vlan at a time)

I've tried accessing the AP-AC that is patched into one of the trunks (which are already untagged) and I can only get vlan 1 access

Excellent news, so, problem solved!

Kind of right... each port can only have a single untagged VLAN (but then additional tagged VLANs). Remember that untagged means "add VLAN1 to packets wtihout a VLAN tag" - untagged packets can only be directed to one VLAN becuase there is nothing else to base the decision on.

Glad that you got the working configuration in the end.

-Ross.

Highlighted

Sort of, but's let not shout aloud just yet!

The units patched directly into the switch (sar far) are ok but the units patched via trunks aren't.