AP AC Pro high utilization and Airplay drop offs

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I installed a single AP AC Pro at a clients house, replacing the Wifi of a Telekom W724 Speedport router. The AP is standalone and the routers DHCP service is used. Router Wifi is deactivated.

Network devices:

iPhone 7 iOS 12.1.2

MusicCast R-N402D (Airplay receiver)

iPad iOS 12.1.2

Windows PC (connected via Wifi, used for initial configuration)

After installing the AP in its out of the box configuration, there where issues with Airplay muting after a second or so. I found the drop offs to be gone, by activating multicast enhancement (IGMPv3) in the Unifi Controller. This lead to a stable airplay connection from my test client (Windows PC with iTunes installed).

Using the iOS devices I found the utilization of the AP to increase dramatically (up to 80%) and Airplay is dropping of again, after a couple of minutes/seconds. This is not the case if iTunes is streaming from a PC. There, utilization is low.

AP configuration:

2.4GHz Channel: Auto; Power: Auto; Channel width: HT40

5GHz Channel: Auto; Power: Auto; Channel width: VHT80

Band steering: prefer 5G

Has somebody made a similar experience? The AP is running at the latest firm ware. Confiduration was made with the latest Unifi Controller version.

Thanks for any input!

Kudos: 449
Solutions: 116

Re: AP AC Pro high utilization and Airplay drop offs

You shouldn't leave them in "out of the box" configuration. You need to use a wifi analyzer or use what's built into the controller and AP to scan the environment, find the most clear channels, then put the AP on those free channels.

on the 2.4 ghz channel, you should set that to 20 (not 40) and pick the most clear of channels 1, 6, or 11.

Try not using band steering for now, you can turn it on later.

So try changing those first, then come back and report the results.

[ Edited ]

Thank you, I did that. Channels are now 11 and 44 and power is set to high in both 5G and 2G. And 2G is set to HT20. The utilization seems to be far less now. Unfortunately AirPlay continues to drop off Smiley Frustrated

Kudos: 4081
Solutions: 1049

Hello @HaZu,

Welcome to the community!

I recommend the following Radio Settings ( try to use different channels on each UAP )

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Have you tried without Band Steering enabled?

Devices > UAP > Config > Band Steering

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

I followed your instructions. Please find the support file attached.

Many thanks!

Hello @HaZu,

Please remove the support file from your previous message... this shouldn't be shared in the public.

I need a screenshot of your system config not the support file.

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

[ Edited ]

Apologies for the late reply. Please find my System Config attached.

In the meantime I also deactivated multicast enhancement (IGMPv3). I also changed the SSID of the 5G network, so all devices are on 2G now.

Update: AirPlay worked for some time (about an hour) and then crashed to not come up again. It was working fine with the routers build in wifi until some hickups for a second or so. It's the UAP causing the troubles.

System_Config.JPG

Hello @HaZu,

What is the signal strength of al lthe clients?

Have you tried downgrading the UAP firmware?

You can disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Have you tried it with band steering disabled?

Devices > UAP > Config > Band Steering

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi Glenn,

Signal strength ist pretty good. All clients are in one room and the AirPlay Receiver has 99% signal strength. I had to reactivate multicast enhancement again, otherwise AirPlay crashed after a couple of seconds. I deactivated band steering. Firmware is the latest. My guess is that it is the receivers fault. If I ping it, it's very inconsistent between 5 and 25 ms. Sometimes more. 

I will be at the clients site in April. Hope to find some clues, when I'm there. I will also install a different router then.

Greetings, Tim

PS: the utilization of the 2G band is still pretty high, although there are only 6 clients in total.

Hello @HaZu,

I use AirPlay here all the time without issues... what do you see as high channel utilization?

Regards,

Glenn R.

You see the utilization in the 2G band?

Auslastung.JPG

Hello @HaZu,

How many clients are connected to the 2.4GHz radio?

Regards,

Glenn R.

6 clients maximum. Likely 4.

Hello @HaZu,

Looks like they are pushing quite some data.. how does the channel utilization looks like when you disconnect the devices.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Highlighted

That is exactly what I found weird. There is not much going on in the network. Just some Smartphones, a tablet and a Yamaha receiver. I will look into this, if I am on site. Unfortunately, this will have to wait till April. My guess is, it's the receiver.

Hi,

It seems to be an issue with the HiFi Receiver from Yamaha. I've put the device in a separate network, provided by the router. The access point is providing a network in parallel. With this configuration it works totally fine...