AP Managed by other?

I have 3 APs and 1 controller. All of a sudden one of the APs is just poof, gone from the controller. I unmounted it (*everything with Unifi APs seems to require an unmount from the ceiling and a plug in? wtf?) and when plugged into the ethernet switch, the AP appears, but shows as "managed by other". WTF? Nothing changed until the AP stopped working, there is no other controller in the house, why is it forgetting who it's controller is?

I think the problem is DHCP - the APs are getting their IPs from a comcast router that has a 1 week lease, and my gut tells me that when the IPs change, all hell breaks loose on the wireless mesh and the APs suck your will to live. Anyone have experience with this?

Kudos: 38
Solutions: 6

Re: AP Managed by other?

@callas wrote:

I have 3 APs and 1 controller. All of a sudden one of the APs is just poof, gone from the controller. I unmounted it (*everything with Unifi APs seems to require an unmount from the ceiling and a plug in? wtf?) and when plugged into the ethernet switch, the AP appears, but shows as "managed by other". WTF? Nothing changed until the AP stopped working, there is no other controller in the house, why is it forgetting who it's controller is?

I think the problem is DHCP - the APs are getting their IPs from a comcast router that has a 1 week lease, and my gut tells me that when the IPs change, all hell breaks loose on the wireless mesh and the APs suck your will to live. Anyone have experience with this?

Did you restarted the controller ? i have this also sometimes and after a controller restart its working normal again.

Established Member
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 103

You can try to use discovery tools and see what ip address currently assigned to the AP when it is complaining about "managed by other" same time can SSH to the AP then check "info". l don't think this is the issue with DHCP but agree 7 days lease it is too long. 1 day is a good default number
Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Kudos: 64
Solutions: 5

Thank you very much @StefanK85, we had the same problem after transferring AP's from one controller to another (on the same LAN, but different IP). Your suggested restart of the controller solved it.

"Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it" - Mary Schmich

@callas

I had a similar experience last week. Both the APs could not be adopted, despite all troubleshooting including SSH into the AP itself and factory reset. 

It is the DHCP issue as it probably creates a conflict in the IP addresses (old vs new). I reckon the controller might be remembering the old IP address somewhere and unable to reconcile with the new IP address that it sees.

The controller would see the APs with a new IP address, it will display they are managed by others and refuse to adopt them. 

I solved it by resetting the APs to factory default, logging off from the controller, powering of the APs, Switch and Router. I also removed the ethernet and power cables from all devices and started one by one (Router --> Switch -> APs --> controller). This is what solved the problem for me. Issuing static IP address is better, I believe. 

Kudos: 1

This fixed my problem. AP's kept reverting to "managed by other" after resetting and re-installing unifi in Ubuntu.

I finally have a procedure for migrating APs to a new controller:

1) Adopt AP on new controller
2) quickly before it reverts to "managed by other", enter #syswrapper.sh restore-default in the terminal
3) Reset controller

Anything else results in the AP reverting to "Managed by other" after a short amount of time.