Highlighted

AP Mesh - Force an AP to uplink to a specific AP

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with unifi ap mesh, i have 3 of them one of course is wired and the other 2 are uplinked each other.
The problem is that from time to time the 3rd ap the one that is more far away wont connect to the closest one(-51 dBm) but to the one that is far away (-80 dBm) is there a way to force it to always connect to a specific AP only?

thank you in advance

Kudos: 470
Solutions: 148

Re: AP Mesh - Force an AP to uplink to a specific AP

[ Edited ]

Hello @euyulio,

Welcome to the community forums!

Make sure you're running controller 5.8.24 or 5.8.28.

Also make sure your devices are running 3.9.42 or 3.9.45

Have you tried following this article?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
USW-24-POE-250W • USW-24 • USW-8
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your fast reply,

yes my controller has 5.8.24 and my aps have 3.9.42.

i did follow the article when i created the uplinks but it still connects sometimes to the weakest AP causing drops...

i even checked the manual priorities box and selected the desired AP as the 1rst option and left the 2nd option empty, no success... 

Hello @euyulio,

Did you disable allow meshing to other access point?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 5

In my experience with the mesh AP's that setting is more of a recommendation than an absolute. The AP will pick the one it thinks is best despite manually setting a priority.

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @euyulio,

Did you disable allow meshing to other access point?

Regards,

Glenn R.

If I do that the AP will disconnect and you wont be able to reconnect it unless you connect it with an ethernet cable, I learned the hard way... 

Hello @ZackJones,

That is correct, You can manually configure the uplink priority. But when the uplink priority degrades or is insufficient the second priority will be used.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO
Established Member
Kudos: 1038
Solutions: 19

Long shot as I have not tested it out with newer firmwares (.42, .45, .47). If u only set primary priority uplink without a secondary, it will most likely stick to that, hence achieve your 'specific AP' requirement.

@chaicka wrote:
Long shot as I have not tested it out with newer firmwares (.42, .45, .47). If u only set primary priority uplink without a secondary, it will most likely stick to that, hence achieve your 'specific AP' requirement.

Thank you for your reply, 

I have tested it, i left tbe 2nd option empty and still connected to the other AP... :-/

I cant believe the unifi controller dont have this option: „connect to this uplink only“

Kudos: 23
Solutions: 5

@euyulio wrote:

@chaicka wrote:

Thank you for your reply, 

I have tested it, i left tbe 2nd option empty and still connected to the other AP... :-/

I cant believe the unifi controller dont have this option: „connect to this uplink only“

Having an option to force it to only uplink to one specifc AP would be a bad thing, IMO. If that one AP goes offline for any reason all of its downlinks are now going to become isolated. 

Established Member
Kudos: 1038
Solutions: 19

There are other ways to 'corner' an UAP to wireless uplink to one specific UAP. One approach is to disable 'Allow wireless uplink' on both radios for those UAPs u do not wish a downlink UAP to connect to.

As ZackJones has shared, the flip side of doing so means a high risk. Should that downlink UAP lose connectivity, there is likelihood no other ways to recover except to take it down, connected to wired and fix any issue before wireless uplink back again.

I am just sharing the methods to achieve so and does not mean I recommend doing so.