Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

AP options

looking to change up my setup. I have 2 nanoHD that are roaming. same ssid, different channels. 

one AP is in the house and one is in the our shop. shop is connected by a 65ft run of cat5e going to a 500watt poe switch, powering my second AP and another 8 port POE switch.

im looking to kick them loose and have seperate networks. I've got stuff roaming between the APs and they shouldnt be. 

what i would like to do: 1 or the other is fine

make certain devices stay on a certain AP OR split the networks up and have a shop network and a house network.

I will also be adding another AP, just for piece of mind and a really good price so i might mesh those and keep the shop seperate. IDK. looking for advice.

max wifi clients are 25. wired, maybe 8.

network map.png

USG 3P
Switch 8
Switch 16 POE-150W
Switch 24 POE-500W
2x AP-nanoHD

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 75

Re: AP options

The nanoHD I think can do up to 8 WLANs (at least 4 but I thought I read 8 somewhere)

For each AP, you could create its own SSID and a common SSID. For example for the house AP: 1) House Wifi, 2) Everywhere Wifi. For the shop AP create 1) ShopWifi and 2) Everywhere wifi. (Same creds as the the Everywhere Wifi in the house)...

Then on the clients you want only connecting to the house AP, set it to the house wifi, and same for the clients you only want connected to the shop wifi . Any other clients you wish to access both (ie phone / tablet you'd take between ) you would connect it to Everywhere wifi and the client can roam as is wishes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 75

The nanoHD I think can do up to 8 WLANs (at least 4 but I thought I read 8 somewhere)

For each AP, you could create its own SSID and a common SSID. For example for the house AP: 1) House Wifi, 2) Everywhere Wifi. For the shop AP create 1) ShopWifi and 2) Everywhere wifi. (Same creds as the the Everywhere Wifi in the house)...

Then on the clients you want only connecting to the house AP, set it to the house wifi, and same for the clients you only want connected to the shop wifi . Any other clients you wish to access both (ie phone / tablet you'd take between ) you would connect it to Everywhere wifi and the client can roam as is wishes.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

tthat makes alot of sense. so one SSID is strickly for the locations and then the other SSID would be for roaming? 

I'm catching alot of flack because folks are roaming and not getting good speeds. I bought 1k$ in hardware and im still getting griped at. lol But, it beats the ATT gateway we have. I'm still wanting to cut it out entirely but im nervous about doing it.

Edit: it does 8 but only under certain circumstances. I'd be fine with 4 as long as my throughput isnt effected bad. We have gigabit on site and im wanting to keep as much of the speed as possible. I also want a vlan for all these darn chromecast and home minis and ive yet to do that even though I have them limited by speed.

Edit 2: Looks like i dont have connectivity monitor and wireless uplink turned on. So that means they are not roaming?? or meshing. whatever the term is. I don't have any options for meshing under my config options for my APs. Guess not. 

USG 3P
Switch 8
Switch 16 POE-150W
Switch 24 POE-500W
2x AP-nanoHD