AP won't upgrade

We just put in four UniFi AP-AC-Pro APs.  They are esy to set up and manage and they are working fine.  But there's one inelegance.

Three of them I've upgraded to v3.4.17.3440.  One of them will not update; it says it's updating but when that's over its still on v3.4.10.3347. (UniFi Controller 4.8.15).

It's working but a little ugly.  Can I upgrade this beast?

SuperUser
Kudos: 5138
Solutions: 1723

Re: AP won't upgrade

You might try a local upgrade on the reluctant AP:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910064-UniFi-Upgrading-firmware-image-via-SSH
I did it my way .... Man Happy

Well, I can log in to the AP but there's no 4.17.xxx firmware on the page you linked. I assume that "ip-of-controller:8080" means the IP of the machine on which the controller is running.

SuperUser

Use the local upgrade option: find the right firmware file, then SCP it to the radio, then run the upgrade command.

Firmware download for your UAP-AC-Pro:

http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.4.17.3440/BZ.qca956x.v3.4.17.3440.160321.1543.bin

Well, I've tried three different terminals several times.

ZOC Pro:  connects and the server immediately disconnects.

MovaXterm: connects, I navigate to /tmp, start upload, server disconnects after 50-80%.

SmarTTY: connects, start upload to /tmp, server disconnects after 80-90%.

Sometimes I have to power cycle before I can connect again.

I see why I can't upgrade from the console ... bet your console can't upload the firmware either.

MobaXterm-screenshot.png
SuperUser

Is this AP on your test bench, or still mounted in its original position, where it couldn't be upgraded via the controller?

If you haven't done this already: I'd put the AP on a test bench, use the supplied POE brick, and two short tested cables.

If your upload via SSH/SCP still fails, it's time for RMA.

Both in-place and on the bench, and always with a poer injector 'cause I don't have a PoE switch in this suite.

Yup, RMA time.

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 9

@JonFleming try to use Putty and connect to your AP using ssh.  Once you are inside you do the following command as it was previously explained by @flipper

upgrade http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/U7PG2/3.4.17.3440/BZ.qca956x.v3.4.17.3440.160321.1543.bin

Please let me know your findings. Personally I have had issues with at least one AP doing this. It is an AC-Lite. Because I am not onsite with this AP I haven't bee able to do the manual upgrade.  If you are onsite with your AP go ahead and do it. In my case the upgrade (if done via the controller) was only completed after power cycle. As I said before I have not had a chance to complete the manual upgrade.

Thanks, but...

Putty.png
Kudos: 87
Solutions: 9

@JonFleming if you are connecting directly via ssh from your computer then the connection will close because the upgrade will be launched. If you are connected from your controller (assuming the controller is not your computer) you should be kicked back to the controller.

Was the upgrade completed?

[ Edited ]

"If you are connected from your controller (assuming the controller is not your computer) you should be kicked back to the controller."

As I said in the first message, the control console says "upgrading" but does not upgrade.

"Was the upgrade completed?"

No.

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 4

just ran into the same issue trying to upgrade over SSH and SCP, no dice, transfers about 80 percent and fails :/  feels like a bad flash chip.

-dcr

You can go into maintenance in the controller and try caching the upgrade.

Kudos: 2

Hi,

I have almost same problem - few of our UAPs on which I'm testing new firmware, won't upgrade even after multiple times - just reboots on same firmware (currently 3.7.26.5438) and even SSH on theese UAPs is not working (Connection refused). Any suggestion how to fix that?

Thanks