Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Accepted Solution

ASK: Options for managing "Incompatible Model"

I've got a lot of Unifi clients, some i've installed a few years ago, some as recently as this year.

I'm getting killed with the "Incompatible Model" scenario.

Below is one client with 7 AP-ACs and the next is s School with 4 AP-Outdoor.

These devices are all installed, neatly, and working well.

But, without management of them through the controller, I obviously can't configure and tweak them, and I've been called in re: cross channel interference or neighboring interference.  I can see on my AirCheckG2 that i need to make changes to these devices, but how?

What is the current recommended approach to managing an environment that has both older and newer devices?

I can't ask the school to drop their $2,000 investment in their outdoor APs from last year and upgrade as they budget for stuff like this once every 5 years.    

The clients are also asking about 7 APs they paid hundreds for each and now need to be tossed b/c they can't be managed?

What are other providers doing for mixed environment management?  

Thanks....

SchoolDevicesHelp.PNGClientDevices.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 2217
Solutions: 640

Re: ASK: Options for managing "Incompatible Model"

Hello @DDSAdmin,

Migrate your site to a 5.6.40 controller, if you have backups from before the upgrade revert to these.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 425
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

You shouldn't have been selling them to the school last year then should you?

This has been discussed for the last 18 months and the VERY LAST thing we need is yet another thread about it.

You stay on 5.6.x or replace the units.

NB - these models (as of Nov 6 2018 ) are now completely unsupported.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Yeah, sorry about that.  i've posted on the end of the other threads.

I know it's not "new news".  I'm not debating flawed chips and no trade in program, so put all the existing frustration aside a second.

I'm asking what folks ended up doing for their clients.   Do folks prefer the second controller and second site?  Or just leaving them in the modern controller but not doing UI based updates?

Secondly, is doing small updates (Channel, signal strenght) via SSH CLI an option to just do (non-controller UI) updates for a while to give clients some more runway for budgeting new hardware.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]

Hello @sneakyjn,

Are you doing L3 adoption or do you have a local controller?

I would do the following if you have a L3 controller with multiple clients.

Create a second controller on version 5.6.40 and migrate the sites to the LTS controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Local controller plugged into one of the USG-48s running on a CloudKey Gen1.

Each client has their own controller, their own site (or sites when it's a school campus vs. residence).

My clients/schools don't have a local server sitting around to do the second contoller.

So do i buy a second CloudKey and plug it in?  

Do i fire up a linux VM in Azure/AWS and let it sit and run forever in the cloud incurring charges (and now having ot maintain that)

Is there a UBNT Cloud controller option (that can run the old version) that you pay for and it's managed for you?

Thanks!

Hello @DDSAdmin,

Migrate your site to a 5.6.40 controller, if you have backups from before the upgrade revert to these.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Highlighted

All setup and good now.

3 UAP-AC Outdoor (depricated) WAPs running on a Cloud Key Gen1 with LTS Controller 5.6.40

10+ UAP-xxx (modern) WAPs running on a Cloud Key Gen2+ with SDN Controller 5.9.29

Mirrored the WIFI/Network settings on each controller.

Clients are happily roaming from device to device across the campus without issue.

I'm able to manange the older devices on the LTS controller.

Still working through some Rogue Access Point issues and posted about it in the Forum.

Will retire/upgrade the outside WAPs as the budget permits.

Appreciate the help in this forum, thanks all.