Adding AC-AP Pro to Extend Existing Network

Hello,

I am going to extend the Internet connection in a house to a nearby workshop using an AirMax NanoBeam AC link.  Once I've confirmed that the link is working, I plan to connect a small Unifi switch and an AC-AP Pro to the NanoBeam.  The AP will provide WiFi for a couple of freeze and water leak detectors, and maybe an IP security camera.  There won't be any computers in the building at all.

Can I just install the Unifi software on a laptop and do a one-time configuration of the AP in the shop, or would it be better to put a CloudKey in there?  If I understand it correctly, the big advantage of installing the CloudKey is that I could manage the switch and AP from somewhere else?

Thanks

Kudos: 4488
Solutions: 1166

Re: Adding AC-AP Pro to Extend Existing Network

Hello @dkmurray,

You can adopt them to your existing controller if you want.

You can use the controller software on your laptop, but I recommend keeping the network devices up-to-date.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

The Internet network I'm extending doesn't have any Ubiquiti equipment so there is no controller.  But I take your point - I should put a Cloud Key on the extended portion of the network so I can manage the Unifi switch and AP remotely and keep them up to date.  That makes sense - thanks for your reply.

Kudos: 4488
Solutions: 1166

Hello @dkmurray,

Get the UCK G2 instead of a UCK.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK