Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 14
Accepted Solution

Adopting your Existing APs to set-inform to L3 Controller Address (No Factory Reset - SSH)

[ Edited ]

Adopting your Existing APs to set-inform to the L3 Controller (No Factory Reset - SSH)

Ubiquiti encourages users to restore their APs to the factory setting first before adopting. See Layer 3 Wiki.

It might not be a big deal for AP's with Wire Uplink, connected to the router, but this is very troublesome with AP's utilising a Wireless Uplink.

When you reset your APs to factory default, the wireless uplink will be broken and the only way to readopt the AP is by connecting it through wire to the router.

This is very troublesome for APs in unreachable area such as very high ceiling, etc.

What I found out is, by SSH-ing the AP, we actually CAN set-inform each APs without resetting it to factory default. Here's how:

1. It's advisable that you SSH your Island AP first. Type:

ssh <your-controller-username>@<your-AP-local-IP-address-assigned-by-router>

New APs will have 'ubnt' as their usename and password

2. If a prompt asking for yes/no authentication appear, type

yes

If there're no prompt, it's okay.

3. You'll be asked for password. Enter your controller password. The password won't be shown when you're typing so don't panic and no, your keyboard is not broken. Press enter after your password input.

4. This will show up

BusyBox v1.11.2 (2013-04-16 09:08:47 PDT) built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

BZ.v3.1.1# 

5. Enter:

help

Just for you to know what available commands are there. Familiarise yourself with the CLI.

6. You'll see this:

UniFi Command Line Interface - Ubiquiti Networks

info                      display AP information

set-default               restore to factory default

set-inform <inform_url>   attempt inform URL (e.g. set-inform http://192.168.0.8:8080/inform)

upgrade <firmware_url>    upgrade firmware (e.g. upgrade http://192.168.0.8/unifi_fw.bin)

reboot                    reboot the AP

7. What we want to do is to set the inform URL. Use the command:

set-inform <inform_url>

Be sure to put the 'http://' before the Controller IP address and ':8080/inform' after the Controller IP address.

8. Your AP will try to report to the url you specified. You might be disconnected from the network if you're connected to the AP. Just wait for a couple of minutes, you'll be reconnected.

9. To confirm the success status of our set-inform, enter this command:

info

and you should see:

Model:       UAP

Version:     3.1.1.xxxx

MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

IP Address:  <your-AP-local-IP-address-assigned-by-router>

Hostname:    <your-APs-name>

Uptime:      xxxx seconds

10. Seeing that Connected message means that you've succeeded in changing your APs inform URL. The AP will now report to the new controller.

Suggestion for L3 Controller Address

By default, when setting up an instance in Amazon EC2, you'll be given  a public DNS which can be used to access you controller.

Unfortunately, this public DNS will reset every time you stop your instance.

You might think that you'll never need to stop your UniFi Controller but things happen and it's possible that something unexpected happen. (eg. Amazon has a power outage)

This will screw up our APs set-inform configuration and you'll be required to re set-inform each AP, which is not very pleasant.

And also, it's unlikely that you'll remember the ever changing Public DNS given, considering the length and character combination of the DNS which will be required for you to open the UniFi Controller in the browser.

So, Amazon has thought about this and they offer you an 'Elastic IP' which can be used for FREE, with the condition:

1. You've the Elastic IP attached to your Instance. (Which is your UniFi Controller Instance)

2. You're instance must be running.

3. If above rules are not met, you'll be charge for the Elastic IP with Pro Data Rates. (Even though it's quite small, but still)

This requirements allow amazon to utilise IP Addresses efficiently by not allocating Elastic IP to user who are not using it.

By using this Elastic IP, you can get a static IP for your UniFi Controller Instance, which allows you to use this IP, instead of the public DNS.

This IPs is easier to remember and for the most important part, it's static. No need to re-configure your APs every time the public DNS change address.

Problem solved.

NOW, even though it's Static, every IP will always be in number formats. (eg. 50.658.56.34) which is also not easy to remember. (Even though it's better than the Public DNS).

Remember, you need to type in the IP address of the controller to be able to manage it.

A round-about of this problem is to use a Free DNS Manager such as DynDns.com, noip.com, etc.

These services allow you to use a friendlier name as your Static DNS, which will be automatically translated to our Elastic IP from Amazon. (eg. yourname.example.com)

Using this service, you can entirely access your Elastic IP address (in number format) with your DNS address (in alphabetical format).

Rather then connecting to 'https://50.658.56.34:8443/', you can connect to 'https://yourname.example.com:8443/' and both will redirect you to your UniFi Controller in Amazon.

Rather then set-inform your APs by using your IP address, use your DNS instead.

They're easier to remember and certainly quite cool as you can specify anything you want to be your DNS.

Feel free to check out those services as they're free and easy to set up.

You might also want to check:

Upgrading or Building Your Own UniFi Controller 3.1.1 in Layer 3 Amazon AWS

UniFi Controller on Different Regions - Layer 3 Amazon AWS

Java Home Directory Fail Issue on Ubuntu - RESOLVED

Regards,

JAP

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3068
Solutions: 853
Contributions: 17

Re: Adopting your Existing APs to set-inform to L3 Controller Address (No Factory Reset - SSH)

syswrapper.sh restore-default

Or, forgetting it from the controller will default it as well.

Many Questions are Answered in the KnowledgeBase
Don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark threads as solved
Forum Rules

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Re: Adopting your Existing APs to set-inform to L3 Controller Address (No Factory Reset - SSH)

Great post.  Definitely helpful.  Thanks for the write up 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

what if your Status line says...

i have tried a couple different IP addresses and they all seem to fail.  I still do not see my WAP in the Unifi Managment console.

Kudos: 44
Solutions: 1

This error will occur when you try and use a set-inform to the IP controller that's got a different config from the one it's on now.

In such a scenario you'd want to reset your AP before using set-inform

Ubiquiti Employee

Iagree

Specifically, the hash of the configurations don't match, so you get a decrypt error.

Forum Rules
Kudos: 133
Solutions: 11

UBNT-MattB wrote:

Iagree

Specifically, the hash of the configurations don't match, so you get a decrypt error.

So what about the new configuration has to match the old one in order for this to work?  It is controller credentials, SSIDs and passphrases, or what?

Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin
Kudos: 40
Solutions: 17

[ Edited ]

It would be the hash of the controller itself. You could have the same SSIDs, same passphrases, same controller hostname, but if you try adopting to a controller that AP wasn't setup on(assuming it isn't in factory reset/discover mode) it will tell the controller no thanks I like my old controller.

So, presumably to do this you would need to restore from a backup of the controller it was on? No?

Ubiquiti Employee

Without factory defaulting, yes, that's accurate.

Forum Rules
Kudos: 133
Solutions: 11

So this would seem to limit this option to a single-site L3 controller only.  You could move your controller from the LAN to a hosted site by creating a new controller and restoring your LAN controller's backup so that essentially, you had just moved the controller.  Pointing the APs to the new controller will work because they think it's the same controller.

Sounds like this will not work for moving a LAN-based controller to a multi-site hosted controller because you cannot restore just one controller to a multi-site controller, correct?  That would be a nice feature if you can figure it out.

Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin
Ubiquiti Employee

It's more of a security concern.  Let's say someone figured out your SSH credentials or perhaps someone from the company was fired and knew the SSH credentials. This individual could get in to all of your APs and immediately changed the inform address as well as the SSH credentials, they could figure out your WPA passphrase or WPA Enterprise RADIUS NAS information.  They could also redirect/capture traffic.  The only way to recover from this would be to figure out the SSH username and password or manually pull every AP and reset it, this is of course assuming that you've already caught and removed the individual.

Forum Rules
Emerging Member

so if I have to reset the device becasue the VM the controller is on moved, is there a way to reset it without physically holding the button in?  an SSH command would be awesome here.  *smile*

Ubiquiti Employee

syswrapper.sh restore-default

Or, forgetting it from the controller will default it as well.

Forum Rules
Emerging Member

I could not forget it from the controller because it was already forgotten... the SSH command worked like a charm!  re-adopted and it worked great!

Kudos: 12

Just to add on to this great post, I built a couple of controllers in AWS, and would like to pass on some information I found while doing so.

When I created my first controllers, I used the Unifi controller instances avialable on AWS.  As of about May of 2014, all of them were based on and image that can't run in t2.micro instances, only t1.micro.  All the exisitn AMI's that I could find were paravirtual, and t2.micor instances need to be HVM instead.  I just did a quick search for "Unifi" in the Amazon AMI public catalog, all the instances were PV still. 

A similarly configured t2.micro instance is about 1/2 the cost of a t1.micro instance, so I built a t2.micro instance from scratch user Amazon's 64-bit Linux AMI and followed the ubiquiti installation instructions for Linux, worked like a champ.

Another option for DNS is Amazon's route 53.  Given the outage that noip.com had earlier this year, route 53 may be more reliable, as it integrated with your Elastic IP very easily. It is not free, but it is very, very inexpensive assuming that you don't have millions of DNS requests for you controller evey month Man Happy

I am still trying to get a free signed certificate for my instance - it is possible, but the "free" registrations are usually either trial or the CA is very flakey.  As I'm doing this one gratis for a family member, I'm not willing to incur a $150 a year signed cert cost Man Happy

Kudos: 103
Solutions: 18

$150 for a signed cert? Ouch...

Try trustico, they do a single-domain rapidSSL cert for $11.95 / year.

Works well enough for me althogh their website isn't the easiest to navigate!

Jim

Kudos: 12

I may just do that, thanks!

[ Edited ]

Sorry to bring up an old post but has anyone figured a way to adopt these UAPs without having to reconfigure aside from using SSH?  I have only been able to reset and readopt the UAPs on my cloud based server.  Problem is I cannot possible reconfigure each of my customers UAPs after moving to this new server.  I have a .unf backup for each that I'd love to restore but cannot figure out how or if I can do that for the life of me.  I do have an email into ubnt support as well as I find it very hard to believe I would have to reconfigure each of these just to move them to another management server.

Thanks for any help guys.

Dave

Ubiquiti Employee

TT_Vert wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old post but has anyone figured a way to adopt these UAPs without having to reconfigure aside from using SSH?  I have only been able to reset and readopt the UAPs on my cloud based server.  Problem is I cannot possible reconfigure each of my customers UAPs after moving to this new server.  I have a .unf backup for each that I'd love to restore but cannot figure out how or if I can do that for the life of me.  I do have an email into ubnt support as well as I find it very hard to believe I would have to reconfigure each of these just to move them to another management server.

Thanks for any help guys.

Dave

You can restore a backup at the initial configuration wizard or from the Admin tab:

2015-01-29_08-28-45.png

Provided there are no changes between the time the backup was made and the UAP is pointed at the new server via some form of layer 3 adoption, pointing the UAP to the new server will result in it appearing as connected in the new server and disconnected in the old server.

Forum Rules

That will only work with one UAP.  The next one you add and restore will overwrite whatever else was there.

Dave

Ubiquiti Employee

Are you trying to go from multiple v2 controllers to a single v3 controller with multiple sites?

Forum Rules