AirPrint and "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data"

I took the default and left "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" checked for my wifi network. However, when doing so it seems that my brother HL-L2340D printer is no longer available. 

As soon as I uncheck the "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" option the printer shows back up and is available for printing again.

I have tried to add the mac address of the printer to the expected devices but that does not help. As long as the Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data is enabled the printer is shown as offline.

For now I have unchecked the option to make the printer available but based on reading other threads I am concerned that this will affect speeds on my LAN.

So, what would be the proper way to configure an airprint enabled printer on the network? Would it be better to set it up as a IPP printer instead of airprint/bonjour?

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 251
Solutions: 18

Re: AirPrint and "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data"

@mlcampbe wrote:

I took the default and left "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" checked for my wifi network. However, when doing so it seems that my brother HL-L2340D printer is no longer available. 

As soon as I uncheck the "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" option the printer shows back up and is available for printing again.

I have tried to add the mac address of the printer to the expected devices but that does not help. As long as the Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data is enabled the printer is shown as offline.

For now I have unchecked the option to make the printer available but based on reading other threads I am concerned that this will affect speeds on my LAN.

So, what would be the proper way to configure an airprint enabled printer on the network? Would it be better to set it up as a IPP printer instead of airprint/bonjour?

Interesting!  I had the EXACT same issue this past weekend.   I am also using a Brother laser printer.  When I enabled Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data with the USG Pro 4 automatically added to the Exclusions and the MAC of the Brother laser manually added to the Exclusions one of my customers also could not print, or even discover, the printer any longer.  Unchecking the feature brings everything back.  

The only thing I can think of is that our printers are using WiFi to begin with to connect to the LAN?  In my case, I do have it wired, but it only shows up as a wireless client which is weird.  Wireless is enabled on the printer, but it did not get setup specifically for WiFi.  Perhaps using airprint/bonjour will force the printer into WiFi mode and the wired connection will no longer be used and this is causing the issue?  I am just guessing here.

Same issue here on all latest public firmware / controller but with a HP printer trying to do AirPrint over WiFi.  Printer is wireless and on its own VLAN and subnet with DHCP server disabled.

I have tried the printer MAC unblocked and also the USG MAC unblocked for all VLANs.  Printer discovery works fine with multicast enabled and no broadcast blocking from my primary client VLAN.  Not working at all from the Guest VLAN but that is a different subject for a different thread.

I am convinced that the excepted clients list is not working for AirPrint devices.  I have tried nearly every imaginable combination - snooping, multicast enhancement, etc. to try to get it to work but to no avail.

Established Member
Kudos: 251
Solutions: 18

@cb8three wrote:

Same issue here on all latest public firmware / controller but with a HP printer trying to do AirPrint over WiFi.  Printer is wireless and on its own VLAN and subnet with DHCP server disabled.

I have tried the printer MAC unblocked and also the USG MAC unblocked for all VLANs.  Printer discovery works fine with multicast enabled and no broadcast blocking from my primary client VLAN.  Not working at all from the Guest VLAN but that is a different subject for a different thread.

I am convinced that the excepted clients list is not working for AirPrint devices.  I have tried nearly every imaginable combination - snooping, multicast enhancement, etc. to try to get it to work but to no avail.

Yeah, I think we have a bug here.  @UBNT-MikeD any ideas?

I tested this again this morning and still see the same issue. With "Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" checked my airprint brother printer is not visible to the network. As soon as I uncheck this it shows back up. Is this expected behavior or perhaps a bug? Even if I enter the mac address of my brother printer it is not working.

I was hoping this would have been fixed now as there has been a couple of versions since it was reported. I am currently using AC-Pro firmware 4.0.21.9965.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

It actually does work, but the default “Excepted Devices” configuration when checking the “Block...”box in your WLAN settings is what is causing the problem. Checking the box will, by default, add one of the MAC addresses for your USG to Excepted Devices, but you need to add another MAC address of the USG.

I can’t find the thread that better explained this (it may be in the beta forums), but if you SSH into your USG and identify the “other “ MAC addresses of it and add them to “Excepted Devices” one-by-one it should resolve your issue.

Still can't find the other thread that explained this problem very well.  But instructions on how to resolve, at least for me:

1) Identify "other" MAC address of USH:  SSH into USG and type "show interfaces ethernet detail"

2) Should show up on the line containing "link/ether" for eth1.  The one in eth0 is the primary MAC referenced in the GUI and probably also printed on the FCC sticker.

3) In the Excepted Devices list, isntead of clicking the "Add Clients" button, manually type in (or copy/paste) the MAC address into the box above the button and then click "+ Add"

4) If done correctly, the other USG mac address will be listed as "Unknown Hostname" in the list of Excepted Devices.

This should get the exception to work for your other listed devices.  You will need to do this for each of your WLANs where you want to use this feature.

Hope that helps.

cb8three, thanks for the reply. However in my case I do not have a USG. I have the AC-Pro wired to an airport extreme that is being used as the router. I can see that it has 3 MAC address, 1 for ethernet, 1 for 2.4 ghz wireless, and a 3rd for 5 ghz wireless. 

So, are you saying that I need to add these MAC addresses into the exceptions list? What about the MAC address of the brother printer which I had been testing with? Does it need to be in the exceptions list or just the router MAC addresses?

Yes add the printer MAC and your router MAC as a start.  Depending on your setup the wireless MACs may not be necessary.  I would try to leave them off, if possible.

Yep, that seems to have worked. I added the ethernet MAC address and the printer MAC address and the printer is now visible. THANK YOU.