Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 595
Solutions: 37
Contributions: 1

Announcing UniFi’s newest Cloud management offering

[ Edited ]

Announcing UniFi’s newest Cloud management offering

The UniFi team is pleased to introduce the newest addition to the line of UniFi Cloud management solutions:

UniFi- a Cloud-hosted controller that for $199/yr can manage up to 100 devices with no device subscriptions required. This cloud controller joins UnIFi Elite and the UniFi Cloud key as an additional option for UniFi administrators.

What does the UniFi cloud controller include?

• High-availability controller
  • Manages up to 100 UniFi devices (Access Points, Switches and Security Gateways). No device licenses required.
  • Publicly accessible URL and SSL certificate
  • Automated controller software upgrades/maintenance window

What does it not include?

• Premium Phone Support
  • Extended Device Warranties
  • Expedited/advance RMA replacement
    (All of these are included with each Elite device subscription)

How much does it cost?

• $199.00/yr - Annual Subscription (billed after initial 14-day grace period for trial purposes). No additional payments required- includes cloud controller with 100 device limit. 

Product Availability

• Currently Available in US (and US Territories), Canada and Mexico. Same as Elite.
  • Plan to expand in the future.

How can you sign-up?

0_1493426749558_button.png

• Select the option on the left “UniFi” and click next.

0_1493446379679_setup1.PNG

• Fill out Billing Information, select Usage Category, review Subscription Information and Terms and Conditions and click “Subscribe”:

0_1493427167002_Form.png

• The new controller will be set up- after this is finished, you are now ready to adopt and manage devices on your new cloud-hosted UniFi controller.

How does it compare to other controller hosting options?

Initially after the first generation of UniFi access points were released, all UniFi networks had to be managed through a Software Installation on a server or workstation on-site. UniFi continues to support installations on most Windows/Mac/Linux machines- and this remains the most common way to host a UniFi controller.

To make UniFi better suited for a wider range of environments, however, Ubiquiti has introduced a number of alternatives to the Software Installation: (A) UniFi Cloud Key, (B) UniFi Elite, and (C) now UniFi. Each has its own unique advantages. Let’s take a look at how Ubiquiti’s newest cloud-based UniFi controller differs from the others:

In Early 2016, Ubiquiti introduced the UniFi Cloud Key. The Cloud Key offers all the benefits of UniFi’s Controller software, but with some advantages:

• Replaces server/workstation hosted controller with a compact, affordable device
  • Affordable with no maintenance fees
  • Can be easily managed from anywhere with enabled Cloud-availability
  • Flexible powering options with PoE

Understandably, the Cloud Key has become a popular alternative. For some administrators, however, the Cloud Key doesn’t quite have the resources to accommodate the complexity of their network and can be difficult to troubleshoot when issues are encountered.

A few months ago, we introduced UniFi Elite, which offered a number of critical benefits over the Cloud Key:

• Premium phone support
  • Extended device warranties
  • Expedited RMA replacement
  • Fully cloud-hosted with publicly accessible URL
  • Ease of maintenance, automatic software updates
  • Scales to meet any needs

Many UniFi customers have taken advantage of this new solution and have enjoyed the services and benefits it offers. Some customers, however, expressed to us that when the premium services weren’t needed for a particular deployment, that the price was a bit too steep given their needs and that they would like to be able pay for the same product without the premium services.

We listened and accordingly, the new UniFi cloud-controller bridges the gap between the Cloud Key and Elite. Like Elite, it offers greatly improved function and ease over Cloud Key, but it comes more affordably priced by capping UniFi-managed device limit (100 devices) and by not including premium Elite services.

We are confident that this new product will be a valuable addition to our offerings. We appreciate any questions/feedback you have to offer!

-The UniFi Team

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

SuperUser
Kudos: 8167
Solutions: 1316

Re: Announcing UniFi’s newest Cloud management offering

[ Edited ]

EDITED TO FIX ERRORS:

Again--to clarify: UniFi Elite price is:

$20 per month per device for the controller
     plus $50 per device per year

and it includes a warranty extension

for each device for the duration of

the device contract [not 'lifetime' of the contract],

with an advance-replacement feature.

It also is not device limited; the base

UniFi package is limited to 100 devices.    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Established Member
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 34

Yes, they need to make this clear. This large post does not make it clear of the per device additional requirement cost.

Give an example too.
Kudos: 263
Solutions: 5

I'd like to echo what everyone else said about the per device.

I know I'll get crucified for saying this, and I know it's been brought up before, but I still think the $20 per device is pretty rough pill to swallow to get to the lifetime warranty when competing with Dell, HP, Netgear, Adtran etc...

I know it's supposed to be a similar idea to SmartNet to some extent. But anyway...

Ubiquiti Employee

@julezmbi @JimBob @Dave-D I want to correct a few things from the previous comments that are not accurate. This is a different service than Elite. Elite includes $20/month subscription fee per controller and annual device subscription fee. It is not nearly as expensive as $20/month per device. Price is $50/yr for AP which comes out to roughly $4 per month per device.  

See the full pricing here: 
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005558808-UniFi-Elite-Device-Licensing-Information

In this announcement however, you will note that UniFi cloud-hosted controller, as a more affordable alternative to Elite does not have a device subscription cost at all. You end up paying only $198/yr for the controller. 

Does that help clear things up? Any questions about the different services?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

I can assure you that the details in this post are accurate and explains in detail how this new service works. For details on Elite you will want to refer to the subscription article I posted in my previous comment. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Also refer to this post: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-Elite-Cloud-Support-Warranty-Service-Announcement...

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

@JimBob Per your request here is an example showing the difference in pricing/service between the UniFi cloud-hosted controller, and UniFi Elite. Let's say a Coffee Shop has 2 UAP-AC-HDs, 1 US-8-60W and 1 USG:

Option 1 - UniFi (Cloud-hosted controller):
Total cost per year would be $199.00 to manage all of these devices. Would not include premium services included with Elite device subscriptions. 

Option 2 - UniFi Elite: 
Monthly fee of $20 for Controller = $240.00 annual price for controller.
For device subscriptions: 
2x UAP-AC-HD at $50/yr each = $100.00 annual price
1x US-8-60W at $15/yr = $15.00 annual price
1x USG at $50/yr = $50.00 Annual price

Device subscriptions include Enterprise Phone Support for any issues encountered with controller/devices. Warranty is extended for lifetime so long as devices are licensed (this means in 6 years if AP fails we will replace with equivalent model). Also includes expedited/advanced RMA replacement in case of failure. 

Total cost if customer used UniFi (cloud-hosted) controller: $199.00/yr.
Total cost if customer used UniFi Elite premium services & controller: $405.00/yr.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification or have any questions. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

SuperUser
Kudos: 8167
Solutions: 1316

APieper, it's good to have these details, which weren't

shown in your first post--only the $20 / month fee for

the Elite controller with no devices.    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Kudos: 135
Solutions: 4

So, for $199 I could for example have 20 sites with 5 devices on each site? Any limitations regarding guest portals etc?

Ubiquiti Employee

@Ambul That is correct. No limitations over other controllers.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Established Member
Kudos: 415
Solutions: 12

If I need 150 devices, is it possible to pay another 199$ (so 398$ total) to have 200 devices on the same controller?

Ubiquiti Employee

@iLevac We're currently discussing options for how to make it easier to add on more devices to a controller. In the meantime, if you find that you are approaching the limit please PM me and we can see what can be arranged to allow you to manage the additional devices on a single controller.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

For the Unifi Elite Controller, do I have the option of just purchasing the controller and not my adopted devices?  I have over 200 adopted devices, but would love to move my onsite controller to the cloud.

Established Member
Kudos: 415
Solutions: 12
Ubiquiti Employee

@rsarnold1s If you do not want the support/extended warranties you are welcome to use our UniFi cloud-hosted controller as an alternative ($199/yr for 100 device limit). You would be able to host on two controllers if your deployments are conducive to that. If you'd like to keep all on same controller please PM and we can discuss how to accomodate. Thanks! 

@iLevac Thank you for bringing this up- I am sure many others have been wondering about the same. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 2

Still prefer the Cloud Key Controller. Hopefully it doesn't get phased out.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 6

I can't wait for this to be made available to Australian based customers.

Is there a 'migrate' site option (we're currently using a VM+UniFi software hosted in Azure)

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Is this something that can replace the "Ubiquiti Unifi Cloud Key"  or the Cloud management must have the Keys dongles at the client site?

Ubiquiti Employee

@CDSTech Cloud Key continues to have a place in UniFi environments- offers convenience and affordability and is really nice option for those small remote sites. 

@Sura-M We can't wait to get to you as well! And absolutely: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002869188 

@ClaudioV Yes, definitely. Absolutely no hardware (including Cloud Key) is required with UniFi/UniFi Elite cloud controllers.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png