Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

Anyone finding the UniFi color scheme impossible to read? Settings is forced to dark

Anyone having issues with the UniFi color scheme?  I'm not takling about the light/dark I'm talking about settings, alerts, events and live support.

I have to squint to read what's on theese pages.  Anyone esle have the same problem?  

I contacted support and was told I had selected the dark color scheme.  No, it was on light.  They the told me the UniFi software was broken.

How did this ever get through QA?  I'm attaching screen shots so other can verifiy.  I'm using two Dell 24" monitors and I'm not having this issue with any other software.  I've attached a couple of screenshots but the blues are not as intense as the live screen.  I can't even read the text in the green box becuase of the crazy color scheme.

Anyone have a solution? 

Pic.PNG
Pic3.PNG
Kudos: 4861
Solutions: 1284

Re: Anyone finding the UniFi color scheme impossible to read? Settings is forced to dark

Hello @DougSpindler,

Hmmm, I can't look through your eyes but I have no issue reading it.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member

Re: Anyone finding the UniFi color scheme impossible to read? Settings is forced to dark

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @DougSpindler,

Hmmm, I can't look through your eyes but I have no issue reading it.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Really?  The blues aren't blindingly bright making nearly impossible to read the screen without squinting?

My eyesight is good, don't wear glasses.   
Wonder if it's the Dell monitors?  I wond if Dell monitoris are over brightneing the blue colors.

Hello @DougSpindler,

You could try using different monitors or adjust the settings, I personally don't have any issues.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
Emerging Member
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 4

@DougSpindler  Welcome to the struggle. You aren't the only one that struggles with the UI colouring in the controller. I don't think there has really been an official UBNT response on it, but there are many of us who are not fans of the colour choices made (gray on black, poor choices w.r.t. contrast, etc). I don't think there has been a serious discussion on 'accessibility' in relation to the GUI. 

Now that said; your specific examples do sound like it may be specific to your Dells. I've used the controller on a variety of monitors and they are generally readable, although questionable. 

Also, while the dark mode/lite mode selector is available - it doesn't apply to the settings areas of the interface. 

Hello @scott_thomson,

You can use dark/light on both the dashboard and settings....

Settings > User Interface > Display > Dark Settings

Dashboard > Theme ( top right )

Regards,
Glenn R.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

UPDATE - Tried differnt montiors, computers and browsers and there is some difference.

My original post was using using Chrome on a Dell desktop/Windows 10 with two 24" monitors - Nearly impossile to read without squinting. 

Apple MacBook internal screen the blues are not as intense.  Still diffocutl, but not nearly as difficutl to read with my two Dell with the 24" monitors.  

iPad with Safair almost readable.  The blues are toned down and with pinch zooming it's readble.  But UniFi isn't supported on Safari.

I have other compuer and monitor combinations I can try.  I suspect this slipped by the QA folks at Ubiquity.  

THIS NEEDS TO GET FIXED.  -  Pronto 

Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 Thanks! Missed that entirely. Curious that this is split into two settings, but c'est la vieUniFi

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

You can use dark/light on both the dashboard and settings....

Settings > User Interface > Display > Dark Settings

Dashboard > Theme ( top right )

Regards,
Glenn R.

Glenn Thank you.  

Dashboard > Theme ( top right ) doesn't change the theme for Settings, or any of the other lower tabs.  Just the top tab under Dashboard, 

Settings > User Interface > Display > Dark Settings  DOES swtich OFF dark settings but ONLY for Settings and nothing else.   Release Notes and lower are all stuck on the DARK setting it appears there's no way of changing it.

As I just posted it appears different displays, comptuers, browswers make a difference. 

Emerging Member

@DougSpindler 

Don't hold your breath. There are plenty of folks that aren't happy with the next generation of the UI, which gets even worse. Others with legit medical considerations (the fact that the UI colour scheme is hell on those who are colorblind) haven't had any satisfaction either. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/New-interface-Colors-for-us-colorblind-folk/m-p/2680961...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/REQUEST-Colour-Blind-Mode/idi-p/2202027

You get what you pay for, which is the hardware. Best bet is to rip into the underlying controller code and adjust the colours in the source. 

Emerging Member

@scott_thomson wrote:

@DougSpindler 

Don't hold your breath. There are plenty of folks that aren't happy with the next generation of the UI, which gets even worse. Others with legit medical considerations (the fact that the UI colour scheme is hell on those who are colorblind) haven't had any satisfaction either. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/New-interface-Colors-for-us-colorblind-folk/m-p/2680961...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/REQUEST-Colour-Blind-Mode/idi-p/2202027

You get what you pay for, which is the hardware. Best bet is to rip into the underlying controller code and adjust the colours in the source. 

Maybe it's time to sue Ubiquity under the "People who DON'T have disabilites act". 

How on Earth did this ever get by QA?