Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Re: Bandwidth limits on a group NOT working

[ Edited ]

@Sango wrote:

@generatorlabs

Yes, that will do it.  You can confirm because it running Java 32-bit and not 64, even if both Javas were installed correctly.  What controller version is this?

Here is a work around to fix it to fix the service so it runs Java 64-bit.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/A-64-bit-version-of-Java-is-required-for-Cloud-Connecti...

Edit: I think it is fixed in the beta releases.

Are you suggesting that this 64 bit Java issue is going to effect the bandwidth throttling capability on version 5.3.8 or is this just to address the cloud access problem? I have corrected the cloud access problem by reviewing the link you posted, Thanks for the link.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1220
Solutions: 99

@generatorlabs

The 64-bit Java is to resolve the cloud access problem.

Kudos: 12

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

I ran the following tests as requested.  Results below.

1) Forget and then re-adopt the AP.  See if that changes the behavior.

• Performed as Step 3
  • Forgot AP
  • Re-adopted AP; triggered Provisioning
  • Once AP showed connected, logged into the windows laptop and confirmed SSID.  Initiated Speedtest.
    • Result:  Bandwidth Throttling - Ignored
  • Checked for the MAC of the client in the log
    • Result:  MAC address not showing throttled in the log
  • Restarted AP from within the Controller
  • Once AP showed connected, logged into the windows laptop and confirmed SSID.  Initiated Speedtest.

2) Disable VLAN's on one of your rate-limited SSID's, and see if that helps.

• Performed as Step 2 - Tested on SSID14; Shared Laptop; WLAN Group:  Default
  • Unchecked the "Use VLAN with VLAN ID check box, hit Save.  This initiated Provisioning on the Wireless AP
  • Forced disconnect / reconnect of the client from the controller
  • Forced disconnect / reconnect of the client from the client.  Reconnected from the client

3) Disable WLAN scheduling and see if that helps.

• Performed as Step 1 - Tested on SSID14; Shared Laptop; WLAN Group:  Default
  • Unchecked the Enable WLAN Schedule, hit Save.  This initiated Provisioning on the Wireless AP
  • Forced disconnect / reconnect of the client from the controller
  • Forced disconnect / reconnect of the client from the client.  Reconnected from the client

4)  Create a New WLAN group and test

• Performed as Step 4
  • Created new WLAN Group:  "Test"
  • Created a new Wireless Network
  • Clicked on the Access Point; configured the 2.4GHz WLAN Group to use the new WLAN Group.  Initiated Provisioning
  • Connected to the Test SSID from the client.  Initiated a speedtest.
    • Result:  Bandwidth Throttling - SUCCESSFUL
    • Result:  MAC address IS showing throttled in the log

5)  Rename "Default" WLAN Group

• Performed as Step 5
  • Renamed "Default" WLAN Group to "Default 1"
  • Clicked on the Access Point; configured the 2.4GHz WLAN Group to use the "Default1" WLAN Group.  Initiated Provisioning
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 301
Solutions: 10

[ Edited ]

The PC I am currently typing this message on is joined to the SSID with a limited bandidth group tied to it.

I joined this SSID, SSH'd into the same AP I was connected to and gathered the output below.

I had to split the message into two parts in order for the submission to fit into the limited space allowed by the forum.

@generatorlabs are you sure you were actually connected to the SSID that uses Limited Bandwidth user group?  Based on the two logs you posted, the only client that was connected to that SSID was a printer, and I'm sure  you werent using it for throughput testing Man Happy  Also, can you tell me what the MAC address of the PC you used when getting the logs?

If you'd like to try our latest features, consider signing up for beta: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access

If you're trying to debug a network issue, take a look at this help article: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 It looks like you removed my access to the controller... can I have it back until we get this resolved?

Thanks for the detailed results!  Based on your report, specifically these comments:

I ran the following tests as requested.  Results below.

1) Forget and then re-adopt the AP.  See if that changes the behavior.

• Performed as Step 3
  • Forgot AP
  • Re-adopted AP; triggered Provisioning

2) Disable VLAN's on one of your rate-limited SSID's, and see if that helps.

• Performed as Step 2 - Tested on SSID14; Shared Laptop; WLAN Group:  Default
  • Unchecked the "Use VLAN with VLAN ID check box, hit Save.  This initiated Provisioning on the Wireless AP

• Unchecked the Enable WLAN Schedule, hit Save.  This initiated Provisioning on the Wireless AP

It appears that the SSID you were doing the testing on was using the WLAN group Default and that it did not have any rate-limits applied.  Can you confirm whether, during the testing, Default did or did not have rate limits applied?

In the meantime, I am going to discuss with engineers to do the development of the controller and see what debug steps we can  take to see if perhaps there is some corruption that is causing your changes to Default specifically to be ingnored or handled incorrectly.

If you'd like to try our latest features, consider signing up for beta: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access

If you're trying to debug a network issue, take a look at this help article: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Emerging Member

@UBNT-BenBuckley wrote:
@generatorlabs are you sure you were actually connected to the SSID that uses Limited Bandwidth user group?  Based on the two logs you posted, the only client that was connected to that SSID was a printer, and I'm sure  you werent using it for throughput testing Man Happy  Also, can you tell me what the MAC address of the PC you used when getting the logs?

Yes, in fact I am still connected to it now.

I also verified which SSID I am connected to via the controller as well as which AP I am connected to.

The mac of the machine in question is XX-XX-XX-BB-1C-BE

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

I had turned off Cloud Access last night while I was doing further troubleshooting.  Now when I try to turn it back on, I get the following error message.  Any ideas on how to re-enable cloud access?

There was an error registering credentials. Invalid API request.

Regarding:  It appears that the SSID you were doing the testing on was using the WLAN group Default and that it did not have any rate-limits applied.  Can you confirm whether, during the testing, Default did or did not have rate limits applied?

on the "Default" WLAN group, I configured rate-limits on the SSID that I was testing with.  using this SSID and rate-limiting with the "Default" WLAN group, the rate limits weren't working.  However, i then created a new WLAN group and called it "Test."  When I created a SSID in the test WLAN group, it has the same SSID, password and throttling rules I had used for the SSID in the "Default" WLAN group.  On the AP, I changed the 2.4GHz from using the "Default" WLAN group and instead use the "Test" WLAN group.  Using the SSID with rate-limiting in the "Test" WLAN group, rate-limiting worked.

Another weird thing is that rate-limiting is being applied to devices that I stopped rate-limiting months ago.  However, in the GUI, it doesn't show that user group being applied to either the SSID or those clients individually.  It's as if there is an old config stuck somewhere, and the new rate-limiting configs aren't applying.

Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 I'm not fully clear about this comment:

"on the "Default" WLAN group, I configured rate-limits on the SSID that I was testing with."

The only way to configure rate-limits on an SSID is to set the limits for the user group, and then assign that user group to an SSID.  So in this case, in order to accomplish rate-limits on the SSID in question, you would have had to:

1) Configure Default with limits.

2) Assign Default to the SSID in question.

Can you confirm these two steps?

About the API error, I'm not sure.  Can you just delete the admin account and then re-add it?

I'm unsure why my cloud access isn't working.  Still troubleshooting.

in User Groups, the "Default" user group has no rate limits applied.  I've never changed anything for this group.  During testing, the User Group, "Default" did not have any rate limits applied.

Default User Group 2.jpg

When I tested yesterday, I tested with a different WLAN group.

WLAN Group.jpg

In the test WLAN group (top right-hand corder), it allowed me to create a new WLAN group.  Default was the first WLAN group with 4 SSIDs.  I created the Test WLAN group I created w new Wireless network.  In the configuration of that wireless network, I changed the user group from Default to slow_net.

slow_net.jpg

These are the user groups that I currently have created.

2 User Groups.jpg

Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 thanks for clarifying.  I missed that you were talking about the WLAN group rather than the User Group.

Please clarify this for me:

When you performed this step, while using the Default WLAN group, what User Group was assigned to the SSID that you were testing on? 

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

I had to restore my controller from backup.  Please try again to see if you have Cloud Access.  Since I had to restore from backup, some of the user group and WLAN settings may be a bit different.  Below are screenshots I captured last night during my testing.

Regarding the User Groups:  Originally, I used the Network_Throttle User Group.  That didn't work.

User Groups.png

I thought there might have been something wrong with the Network_Throttle User Group and Guest_Wifi User groups, so I deleted those and created a new one called Slow_Network and tried again.  That, too, didn't work.

2 User Groups.jpg

Edit:  Since I had to restore from backup, my current configuration shows that the Network_Throttle group is assigned to the SSID that I've been testing on.

Ubiquiti Employee

@MEM223 and @generatorlabs can you both disable 2G and see if that makes rate-limiting work?

In other words, for whatever AP and SSID you are connecting to, just disable 2G SSID.  Then connect again (verify that you are in fact on 5G for the same SSID) and then see if your rate-limiting works?

Emerging Member

@UBNT-BenBuckley wrote:

@MEM223 and @generatorlabs can you both disable 2G and see if that makes rate-limiting work?

In other words, for whatever AP and SSID you are connecting to, just disable 2G SSID.  Then connect again (verify that you are in fact on 5G for the same SSID) and then see if your rate-limiting works?

How do you disable the 2G radio?

Under "RADIOS" the only options I see are Channel Width, Channel and Transmit Power.

There is not a button to kill the radio.

Am I looking in the wrong area?

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-BenBuckley,

I clicked on my Wireless AP and disabled the SSID that I was testing with on the 2G.  I then saved --> queued --> applied changes.  The AP provisioned.  The SSID that was disabled on the 2G is still enabled on the 5G of the same AP.

However, when I go to my Windows laptop, I'm unable to see the SSID and its NOT hidden in the GUI.  I assume that the wireless network card in my laptop is unable to connect on 5G.  From the GUI, it showed it last connected on the 2G (11ng).

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-BenBuckley wrote:

Oops I finally figured out what you were asking.

Killed 2G on the AP in question (for the SSID you required)

I disconnected and reconnected to the AP

Verified which AP I was on and ran speed test. 

No change; still pulling max bandwidth.

Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks both.  Still looking into it.

Ubiquiti Employee

@generatorlabs and @MEM223 I believe that I have identified the issue that you're experiencing, and a fix is already in 3.7.33 which is currently in Beta.  If you are interested/willing to try that version, you can sign up for beta here https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access.  Once you have signed up, you can get the firmware from the beta page.

The issue that I think you're experiencing has to do with a race condition, which is why it doesn't happen for everyone else.  Let me know if you are going to test it out, or wait for the FW to be released to non-beta users.

Emerging Member

@UBNT-BenBuckley wrote:

@generatorlabs and @MEM223 I believe that I have identified the issue that you're experiencing, and a fix is already in 3.7.33 which is currently in Beta.  If you are interested/willing to try that version, you can sign up for beta here https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Beta-Access.  Once you have signed up, you can get the firmware from the beta page.

The issue that I think you're experiencing has to do with a race condition, which is why it doesn't happen for everyone else.  Let me know if you are going to test it out, or wait for the FW to be released to non-beta users.

I am not familiar with what you mean by a 'race' condition. Can you elaborate on that a little?

I am willing to try the Beta but I need to know if I can migrate my entire current controller to a CloudKey device and get version 3.7.33 to work with the CloudKey. What sequence should I follow to perform the migration?

Ubiquiti Employee

@generatorlabshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition

Reagrding your controller migration:  I recommend to first upgrade the firmware, which you can do without having to upgrade the controller.  First, disable automatic updates by going to Settings > Site  and un-check Automatic Upgrades.  Second click the AP you want to upgrade and, in the properties panel on the right to to Configure > Manage Device and paste the URL into the "Custom Upgrade" section.  

Once you have confirmed if that fixes the issue, then you can go ahead and make the switch to the Cloud Key.

Emerging Member

@UBNT-BenBuckley wrote:

@generatorlabs and @MEM223 I believe that I have identified the issue that you're experiencing, and a fix is already in 3.7.33 which is currently in Beta.  

I VPN'd into my office and applied 3.7.33.5978 to all the AP's in one building only.

When I get in on Monday I will test them out for proper operation.

If it works I will roll it out to the rest of the buildings.

I imagine the UPGRADE icon that is showing in the controller is false and wanting to down-grade those units which I have touched?